Its on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moyesy says, its on:

David Moyes said yesterday that Everton can qualify for European football next season and that it was essential to the progress of the club and his development as a manager.

Everton have played in European competition in four of the past five seasons under Moyes only for a miserable start to this campaign to diminish their prospects of a return. Eight league games unbeaten, however, have lifted Everton to ninth in the table and Moyes has challenged his players to continue their impressive qualifying record with a sustained run of form.

"I'm ambitious and I want to be managing in European competition. I tell the players that. I want them to have the same drive as me," said Moyes, whose side travels to Wigan Athletic this afternoon. "In the past few years, we have been closer to it but this year we are not. We are going to have to fight incredibly hard and somehow scrape in by the skin of our teeth. But we have to keep believing we can make it."

Everton face Sporting Lisbon in the Europa League next month and Moyes admits the club would sorely miss European competition if they fell short this season. He added: "European football has helped both me and the team develop. It has been good for us and want to make it last so we will try and push again, there is a long way to go but we will see if we can finish in the top half and see what happens. I would miss it, the players would, and so would the club.

"Good players want to play in Europe, and we want to be there to make us attractive to these players. Players want to see European football. They want the Champions League, and if not that, the Europa League is the next best thing. We have to show potential. We have to show people this is where we should be, where we hope to be, and that we are making headway and moving in the right direction."

Status
Not open for further replies.