Is Our Turgid Football Due To The Sides We Face Early On

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unlikely that the players can work well together yet, so that must be a factor. However, as fans we tend to assume that all new signings will succeed but that doesn't always happen, particularly when a large number of signings are made.

Spurs, after selling Bale, spent unwisely, going through £110m in buying seven players and have only Eriksen left, though Nacer Chadl was a decent player I always thought. Liverpool, in their £117m splurge on Balotelli, Lambert and six others, have only Can, Lovren and Lalana who play regularly, and they seem to want to get rid of Lovren. Last year, after winning the title, Leicester spent £60m on six signings, including Slimani, all of whom, according to the Telegraph, were made available for transfer this year. Three have gone already.

It's not been pretty by any means so far but our business certainly isn't over yet; I'm sure we'll bring in two more attacking players. But we are winning games which brings confidence, hopefully we put a few goals past Split on Thursday and we go into the City have really fired up!

Maybe i should of named the thread

ARE WE PRACTICING OUR DEFENSIVE DUTIES IN OUR OPENING GAMES TO HELP WITH OUR NEXT 4 MATCHES

Koeman is what he is as a manager.

I don't know if people just assume because he was a world class player in excellent teams that it is how he would choose his own sides to play.

He is the Dutch Moyes - I said it when we got him - the facts were there for those who chose to see them. He will always favour defensive solidity and players who follow his game plan over attacking flair and unpredictable attackers. He'd rather have a team of 8/10 players than one with a few 10/10s and a few 6/10s. He has fallen out with or dropped almost every flair player he has worked with.

This is an effective strategy as the Moyes/Koeman Everton teams show.

If you are expecting tactical innovation and high flair football you have the wrong manager.

If you want good football with a solid base then he is your man.

My main concern is not the quality of the football. It is the recruitment. I feel we are selling off our best young talent and replacing it with expensive stop gaps. Just this time last year everyone was calling me a moaner for daring to suggest Ashley Williams was a poor value signing. Buying players at 27-30 is terrible business unless they are a massive upgrade on what you've already got or they are really cheap. They won't get any better and the likelihood is they'll decline. £10m on Williams, £25m on Bolasie, £50m (if it happens) on Sigurdsson is just ridiculous.

Add Stones, Barkley and Lukaku into our squad (I'll leave out Deulofeu) and you have top 4 challengers. Without them we'll do well to finish 7th again.

I don't know if people just assume because he was a world class player in excellent teams that it is how he would choose his own sides to play.

He is the Dutch Moyes - I said it when we got him - the facts were there for those who chose to see them. He will always favour defensive solidity and players who follow his game plan over attacking flair and unpredictable attackers. He'd rather have a team of 8/10 players than one with a few 10/10s and a few 6/10s. He has fallen out with or dropped almost every flair player he has worked with.

If you are expecting tactical innovation and high flair football you have the wrong manager.

My main concern is not the quality of the football. It is the recruitment. I feel we are selling off our best young talent and replacing it with expensive stop gaps. Just this time last year everyone was calling me a moaner for daring to suggest Ashley Williams was a poor value signing. Buying players at 27-30 is terrible business unless they are a massive upgrade on what you've already got or they are really cheap. They won't get any better and the likelihood is they'll decline. £10m on Williams, £25m on Bolasie, £50m (if it happens) on Sigurdsson is just ridiculous.

Add Stones, Barkley and Lukaku into our squad (I'll leave out Deulofeu) and you have top 4 challengers. Without them we'll do well to finish 7th again.

I agree to an extent, though based on what little I've seen of him I prefer Keane to Stones. In fact, Keane and Pickford are exactly the type of player we should be signing.

Reminds me of that purple patch of 1-0 wins we had under Moyes years ago. He set us up to be hard to beat, perhaps Koeman is thinking similarly.
I'll try to be positive. Yes we are not pretty to watch at the moment, but half the team were making their debuts on Saturday. 3 competitive games and three 1-0 wins suggests although we haven't 'clicked' as a team to be able to grind out wins is a good sign. It's fair to say there is a lot more to come, if koeman gets siguardsson, left sides centre half and a striker we mean business. Also don't underestimate the loss of bolasie and in particular coleman down our right side. I'm expecting us to hopefully be there or thereabouts up till Xmas and really push on after Xmas when the team has fully gelled and these two return.

Sandro 21
Keane 24
Pickford 23
Klassen 24
Henry 20
The majority of our business has been the recruitment of younger players.

As has been highlighted numerous times, we are struggling to gel as a team and the side looks unbalanced. However saying that stoke along with West Brom are probably the most negative teams in the league and better teams than Everton will struggle to look good playing against them. I predicted 1-0 to Everton in my sky super 6, it's just a pity I got the other 5 wrong.
Did better then me mate. I had 2-0 mate. My only correct result. Got the other 5 completely wrong for my worst ever weekly score on sky super 6.

Anyway, I put our turgid start down to 3 teams parking the bus against us and new players bedding in. We'd have struggled breaking them down just as much last season, especially given 2 of the games were during the pre season period.

I have a bigger concern about the games coming up as I don't think, at the moment, we have the players available to play the counter. I think we'll struggle to trouble their defences but think we can be compact if we play Holgate at RB.

Sandro 21
Keane 24
Pickford 23
Klassen 24
Henry 20
The majority of our business has been the recruitment of younger players.

I welcome the younger signings and am happy with Rooney/Schneiderlin/Gana as they are clear upgrades

But also
Williams 31
Schnedierlin 27
Bolasie 27
Rooney 31
Martina 27/28
and main targets
Sigurdsson 27/28
Gana 27

Players sold
Lukaku 23
Stones 21
Deulofeu 23
seemingly Barkley 23

We've aged the squad without clearly improving the first XI.

I welcome the younger signings and am happy with Rooney/Schneiderlin/Gana as they are clear upgrades

But also
Williams 31
Schnedierlin 27
Bolasie 27
Rooney 31
Martina 27/28
and main targets
Sigurdsson 27/28
Gana 27

Players sold
Lukaku 23
Stones 21
Deulofeu 23
seemingly Barkley 23

We've aged the squad without clearly improving the first XI.
i thought you were referring to our business this summer mate. Unfortunately Barkley, lukaku and stones wanted away, there is not much you can do about that. I consider Keane to be an upgrade on stones. We are going to struggle very much to replace lukaku though.

Seen several moves break down just because the players are on the wrong wavelength, that takes a little time, beyond that we look at our best when Mirallas or DCL come off the bench and we have a little pace.
Skill wise I think we are better than I can remember with every player beyond the defence looking comfortable with receiving the ball, just need the front line players to gell better with those around them and I think we will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.