Is Mikel Arteta a great player?

Is Mikel Arteta a great player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok for us Arteta is ace, his free-kicks and corners are average to be fair, but he's dead good at winning the free-kicks.

But, and this is important - why has he not played for Spain? and don't say it's cos Spain have Xavi and Iniesta, because he's not even been picked foe the squad.

He's v good, but he's not amazing.

Ok for us Arteta is ace, his free-kicks and corners are average to be fair, but he's dead good at winning the free-kicks.

But, and this is important - why has he not played for Spain? and don't say it's cos Spain have Xavi and Iniesta, because he's not even been picked foe the squad.

He's v good, but he's not amazing.

Honestly, I'd put it down to a combination of not being a high profile player and being a player who has spent the majority of his career playing outside of Spain. He's spent more time in France, Scotland and England than he has in Spain.

He's certainly not on the likes of Xavi and Iniesta's level, he's not good enough for the first eleven. But over the last five years or so lesser players have been capped by Spain, no one can seriously tell me Albert Riera and Luis Garcia are better players.

That's my honest opinion, he's clearly not first choice material, but he's definitely been good enough to have been capped over the years.

Arteta, who's not a bullshitter, said he was told by reliable sources that he was very close to getting a call up last season, when he was in the form of his life. He's never said that in the past, he's always been very honest about the competition he's up against.

mikel is magic fact but to answer the question id put it like this he is good but not yet a great in the like of ball,lachford,sharp,southall,kendall there greats

I didn't vote as my opinion did not fit either category of answer.

arteta, while skilful and versatile, and without question a fans favorite at Goodison Park cannot for me come under legendary status, at least not yet, he's a fine player, but as for 'great', that's perhaps stretching it a touch.

Its sometimes easy to forget he was at Ibrox before he joined up here, and he's been at the club for around five years now and we have seen some wonderful moments. Maybe if he had played in the Cup final last season it may have turned out better, we shall never know now, but it was always going to be a stern test against that opposition whoever we had available that day.

Fine player, but not of legendary status. :rolleyes:

Excellent but not great. Riera and Luis Garcia are not better players than him, as someone mentioned. Neither is Cazorla. but they are better suited to the winger/inside forward role than he is. Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas are better in the creative stakes, and the likes of Senna are better defensively speaking. When former coach, Luis Aragones was asked at a press conference if Arteta was ignored beacause he played for Everton (ie. not at a top 4 club), he said that he was old enough to know who Everton were (basically saying that he knew that football existed before the Premier league) and that, in fact, he was a bit of an Everton fan.
Tto be honest I think he would have had a look in with Sapin if he'd been playing in that central role for longer, as he can do what Xavi Alonso does and more

Arteta has not entirely convinced me of his class. To me he is not a legendary Everton player. He has quality and is perhaps our most creative player, but he lacks bite. Not being in the Spanish national team is not because he is a bad player but because Spain boost the best midfield in the world - Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas and David Silva - and compared to them Arteta still has a some way to go before he reaches their standard. In most other national squads he would be a regular.

He has played his best for us when put in the def mid position, which he only has for a little less than half a season. When he gets a few more games under his belt he should be back to the level he was before his injury and if he does then he will have done a lot to convince me that he has what it takes to be a really class player.

I remember a game just before he got injured, it was at Goodison Park and he totally , I mean totally ran the show, I think his final ball could be better when pushing up to feed the striker.

However, I also saw Felliani "run the show" against Man City, albeit in a different manner.

If Mikel could improve his corners and find his feet again in Midfield he will be awesome and could get a late shout for the Spain squad.

Of course he is. It is a shame he won't be an international because of the others who Spain have in those positions, however he would be in with a chance if he had a couple of seasons injury free and consistent. He is one of the best passers and set-piece takers in the premier league at the moment as well as having one of the best first touch I've seen.

Of course he is. It is a shame he won't be an international because of the others who Spain have in those positions, however he would be in with a chance if he had a couple of seasons injury free and consistent. He is one of the best passers and set-piece takers in the premier league at the moment as well as having one of the best first touch I've seen.

Is he the best looking player in our squad kate?

Status
Not open for further replies.