Is Mikel Arteta a great player?

Is Mikel Arteta a great player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok we have two victims snared so far. You will be contacted in the near future, would you prefer email communication, telephone or baseball bat? Bonus chico option: an inviting, but inevitably poisonous gordita.

I'd be hard pressed to decide who I'd rather keep between him, Pienaar, and Fellaini.
If I had to make a decision, I'd probably keep Mo based on age.

Great playmaker for us though, so hope he gets into his stride and puts the ill fortune of injury behind him.

I'd be hard pressed to decide who I'd rather keep between him, Pienaar, and Fellaini.
If I had to make a decision, I'd probably keep Mo based on age.

Great playmaker for us though, so hope he gets into his stride and puts the ill fortune of injury behind him.
Arteta for me. We do have Rodwell lined up in case Fellaini would leave and Pienaar is a good player, but replacable. Arteta is custom made for us I feel.

You know why he's never played for Spain?

Aragones found out about his distant Moorish roots, it was all downhill from there.

He's not exactly on the same level as Iniesta (who is?) and Xavi, but he definately is good enough to be included in their World Cup squad.;)

Tough call considering the sinful wealth of options there. Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Alonso, Senna, Silva, Cazorla...the list just never ends.

Also, it Arteta's Basque heritage may play a part as well. My girlfriend of several years is Basque and it's difficult to explain the regional divides that exist within Spain. While I do believe the situation is infinitely better than in past years (many credit the omission of Raul during Euro's for the improved locker room situation....rumors say he tended to associate "Madrid" w/ "Spanish", often making players from other regions feel uncomfortable) I'm not sure this doesn't at least play some part. The Basque people are truly unique (much more so than, say, Catalans) & many Basques actually frown upon their own for choosing to play for the "Spanish" team as opposed to the (largely non-official) Basque team.

Granted there's the exception (Xabi Alonso, young striker Fernando Llorente, etc.) but it wouldn't surprise me if this had maybe a little to do with his continued omission. But again, injuries, bad timing, & the ridiculous amount of competition obviously are a big part as well.

I wish there was another option between "great" and "not so good" as I do not think he's great, but he's certainly very good

Although maybe my feelings on the adjectives are a bit different than others

Status
Not open for further replies.