Votes: 41 18.9%
  • No - £28m of sexiness.

Votes: 149 68.7%
  • Romelu on Toast.

Votes: 27 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's only 21, and we play him week in week out with barely any rotation - he almost always plays 90 minutes. His form is bound to dip from time to time, but overall he's great. I can't remember a striker in recent years (bar possibly Yakubu at his absolute peak) that performs better or more consistently.

He's one of the most promising young strikers in world football - anyone that doesn't think we've done incredibly well to land him is deluded.

It's the kind of signing I never dreamed we'd be making a few years ago, and even this summer I thought it was incredibly unlikely.

If I was Rom I'd be banging on Martinez' door this morning asking why every time we play a big game he's moved out to the right?

It clearly wasn't working on Saturday so why wasn't it changed? Their defence has been poor and we gave them an easy ride by not really playing with any forwards. Jags defo got Martinez out of the sht on Saturday, and I fear that Martinez is too stubborn to see what is wrong.

I would ride into his office on a Shetland pony wearing nothing but a bow tie and high heels, I would demand answers about Saturdays game, Every time he tried to answer my questions I would interrupt him by singing the American national anthem, After this had carried on for around 23 mins I would then ride the Pony out of his office window and into the sunset never to be seen again

I would ride into his office on a Shetland pony wearing nothing but a bow tie and high heels, I would demand answers about Saturdays game, Every time he tried to answer my questions I would interrupt him by singing the American national anthem, After this had carried on for around 23 mins I would then ride the Pony out of his office window and into the sunset never to be seen again

Who are you Enrico Palazzo?

Lukaku lone striker, Everton second highest scorers in the league.
I'm going to say he's having an effect even if he doesn't score or assist, just making runs to drag holes in the defence for others to exploit if it results in a goal makes him a valuable asset.

I personally don't think he's got that edge that he had when he first signed for the club. I remember going to City away, and him using his strength to go through defenders, and slot it away, he got an injury (was it the derby?), and I don't think he's recaptured the form, sadly it happens, i'm sure it'll come back, however, the difference to Romelu this season, and last, is that he's now got a very hefty £28m pricetag on his head, and can he handle that and the fans expectation?

I personally feel he has to do more for his worth in every game, but the way i see it is, if he scores, or assists in every game this season, he ends up with a contribution to 38 goals, and we'd all be chuffed, but i thought he stunk the place out at Anfield, the service he got was poor, but his distrubution was equally dismal, however, had he gotten that pen he deserved in the opening stages, he's potentially contributed to a win, and thats his job, as Evertonians, we absolutely crave a proper goalscorer, a Latchford, a Lineker, but whenever we get one, ala Yakubu or Lukaku, we go mental that they don't do enough, and start saying things like 'JOHNSON DID A BETTER JOB', it's all well and good running yourself into the ground, but his records great, and so was Yak's, so I think there is too much kneejerking.

For the record, i voted as a poor signing so far, i said so many times last season that the reported £22m was too much, and £16m for a striker with no first touch would probably be fair, so £28m was always going to bring round the critics, made up we've got him, and he's done alright, not great, a season is a long time.

Last edited:
The market has changed drastically in the last 10 years, Rooney would go for 60 now.

Just on inflation alone the 28 million on Rooney is closer to 40 million now, let alone how the market has changed. Not a good comparison. I think that Rom is going to be just fine, but we can't keep playing him out wide. He needs to be the center man; we didn't need a 28 million winger who is playing out of position.

If I was Rom I'd be banging on Martinez' door this morning asking why every time we play a big game he's moved out to the right?

It clearly wasn't working on Saturday so why wasn't it changed? Their defence has been poor and we gave them an easy ride by not really playing with any forwards. Jags defo got Martinez out of the sht on Saturday, and I fear that Martinez is too stubborn to see what is wrong.

The knock on effect of this is McGeady's threat is minimised.

He is a natural born, old fashioned winger and needs a target man to be aiming at.

With Rom out on the wing all day, most the time there was none.

The goal came when we were finally loading the box and Aiden was able to knock a cross onto the kill zone in the knowledge that we had men in there.....and the headed clearance out was met by......well, you know the rear of the story ;)

Personally I think the increasing debate is down to folk loving a good moan unless things are going 100% as planned.

The whole team is in poor form, and when the side picks up, he will too.

He can't be expected to score a bagful every game if he's contributing from the wide right. Needs to be more central.

I thought he played ok Saturday.

Lay off him, he is young and learning. For me I wish upfront alongside him we had some one like Van Persie, Sturridge, or our own Eto'o that is what I think is needed in that role Naismith is not quite good enough.

I am pleased he is an Everton player.

In ten years time he could be hailed as one of our greatest ever.
Certainly one of the best we have had in the Premiership years.

Nothing more to add really.

I still like what I see tbh. Putting the price out of mind, he's a real threat and he's improving his all round game out on the wing. I don't want him there but it's born of necessity and he does it without complaint. Slowish start on the goal front but he will get better when he hits his stride and we have a full team available to support him.

We're still in the September of his first season as a proper Everton player!

Christ. Give this until near the end of the season at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.