If Silva is sacked - who could/should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I don’t want Rafael because of who he used to manage.

I don’t want him because he’s done nothing in about 10 years and is a massive prick.

Tbf in the last 10 years he's won a Europa League with chelsea, 2 trophies with Inter Milan and 2 with Napoli. Hardly done nothing mate but fair enough atleast its not to do with his past allegiances.

Whoever gets sacked in the bottom 6 two weeks from now will be our favourite choice. Should wind this one up and keep it for a year or so.

Tbf in the last 10 years he's won a Europa League with chelsea, 2 trophies with Inter Milan and 2 with Napoli. Hardly done nothing mate but fair enough atleast its not to do with his past allegiances.

Counting the two trophies with Inter is a bit kind on him. One was the Italian equivalent to the Community Shield and the other was the Club World Cup, both of which are practically friendlies and he could only compete in them because Inter had won the treble with Jose the previous season.

Pretty sure he's not thought much of by either Inter or Napoli fans. Although I do imagine it's hard to meet the expectations at a club as massive as Inter Milan, especially directly after a treble.

Paddy power have cut the odds on Mourhino coming here to 4/1, based on a "flurry of bets". he is still favorite to g to PSG, which would make sense. I think we should keep Silva for another year at least, but if we don't I would take 3 years of Jose and probably winning a trophy :);)

Paddy power have cut the odds on Mourhino coming here to 4/1, based on a "flurry of bets". he is still favorite to g to PSG, which would make sense. I think we should keep Silva for another year at least, but if we don't I would take 3 years of Jose and probably winning a trophy :);)

"Probably winning a trophy"

Firstly he will still have the same players that have failed to get near a trophy for the last few years.
Secondly everyone knows how he plays and unless he changes his style massively, he isnt going to win anything in the premier league.

"Probably winning a trophy"

Firstly he will still have the same players that have failed to get near a trophy for the last few years.
Secondly everyone knows how he plays and unless he changes his style massively, he isnt going to win anything in the premier league.

well he did win trophys at both Chelsea and Man utd, despite everyone knowing his style, im not talking about winning the premier league or champions league with the team we have, but we could win; FA cup, league cup or Europa league

Rather stick with Silva then have Jose, he is yesterdays man.
Let's not have the memory of him celebrating the win on Demba Ba day ruined by being poor for us and ruining the high regard we have for him.
Yep, he's a rs hater of the first water...which is about all he has going for him.
But.
Given the fact that we've more or less had 3 out of the last 3
*weighs up having a total dogs breakfast of a season Vs 2 Derby wins.
*remains undecided - won't happen though

Interview with Silva...

Exclusive interview: Marco Silva reveals why he's in it for the long haul at Everton - 'The stability I need the club also need.

by Jason Burt

29 MARCH 2019 • 1:00 PM

Marco Silva has an evocative phrase to describe what he wants and what the Everton fans demand. It is not just wins - and he fully accepts there have not been enough of those this season - but something more. “Everton has an identity,” Silva says. “Give 100 per cent. Your blood inside the pitch. That’s our obligation.”

In the past, Silva has had his own commitment questioned. Managing six clubs in eight years leads to that, and although the Portuguese left each of his previous employers under different circumstances, he accepts it is time to stay.

“It’s really important and that’s why I joined Everton,” Silva says, as we sit down to talk at Everton's training ground. “When I came here I didn’t have any doubts. The owner (Farhad Moshiri) showed me the idea, I analysed it and realised it was something I needed for my career – a project, something to build. And I think the club also needs to stick with one idea. The stability I need the club also needs.”

And the commitment is there, every day, manifest in Silva’s intense work ethic. “Being a manager is more than a job. It’s my passion. From the moment I wake up in the morning it’s my passion.”

By the time the players arrive at 9am Silva has already gone over the data they have to input every morning, even checking their sleep patterns, to see whether he needs to have a one-to-one conversation before training.

Marco Silva (centre) is a big believer in player data

Marco Silva (centre) is a big believer in player data CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

“I know how they sleep, how they are. When they arrive I know which players I need to speak to, to see what’s happening or not, what’s important in their lives,."

There are clear rules to observe, starting with having breakfast and lunch together. That is not unusual in itself, but Silva takes it further. “It’s important to know as much as I can about the players. Sometimes the problems in their minds are not just what happens here, what we can control here, it’s something more. If you can know the important things in their life it can help your relationship with them. You can understand them more on the pitch.

“Football is not just about physical, technical, tactical. It’s mental, really. Today in football that’s what makes the difference; it can make the difference in our dressing room. I don’t have doubts that if we were stronger here (touches his head) we will have achieved better results.”

The 41 year-old has also immersed himself in understanding Everton. “I don’t have doubts that Everton is a big club,” he says. “After that you have to be realistic and look at what has happened in the past few seasons. If you look at it this way you can build for the future and do important things.

“When you are talking about big clubs you need a fantastic fan-base and we have that. We have won some very important trophies in the past. The last few seasons were not the best and the club has changed many things in the past year – a new sporting director, a new manager and, in the last 18 months, 20 new players.

“It’s a big change. Last season, there were three managers; this season a new manager. Many changes. I think we are making the right steps, I have no doubt about that. Of course we expect, for sure, a different position in the table (Everton are currently 11th) but the Premier League is not finished yet.

We also need the connection to get stronger with our fans. When I joined the club it was easy for me to see that, although they achieved eighth position last season, the environment was not the best. Not a strong connection. I didn’t know why but I have started to understand why. But we have to create that. It was coming at the start of the season but after that, when the results were not good, the fans had some doubts.”

Silva understands those doubts: “But it’s not like we can ask for everything from them. We need to give them something. When we are together we are really strong. It’s really important to me; it’s one of the keys - the connection with the fans, it is a power, a fantastic feeling.”

That feeling was there in the last two Premier League home games – the draw against Liverpool and the victory over Chelsea – ahead of facing West Ham United away on Saturday. But there is a tension: it will take time, especially with Everton and Silva determined to develop a younger team – he points out the club has five players in the England under-21 squad - although he accepts that time is not something managers can expect.

Everton are a team in transition

Everton are a team in transition CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

“I answer you direct,” Silva says. “You normally don’t have time in football. Time in football is the next match. When I say to you about patience then you have to have that in your project, you have to have that, but the main thing is the results even if there is also a bigger picture.

“You can achieve in one season but you have to have the consistency to keep achieving and that needs to be part of a project. But, I repeat, football is results, football you don’t have time, and I don’t lose my mind to ask for time because I know you don’t have it.”

Nevertheless, Everton are changing and it will take time with key older players, such as Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines, no longer regular starters. “You look at our starting XI and only Seamus Coleman has been here for more than three seasons,” Silva says. “So you have to create this identity. Some of the most important players have only been here eight months.

Veterans like Phil Jagielka are no longer regulars in Marco Silva's team

Veterans like Phil Jagielka are no longer regulars in Marco Silva's team CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

“It’s important for us to keep them now and to try and improve the squad and, in the meantime, create a strong spirit in the dressing room. It’s important that Jagielka, Coleman, Baines, [James] McCarthy pass on this culture. It’s my job also.

“We have a fresh squad and we have to do more work in the next [transfer] windows to get the team we need. I am 100 per cent sure what we did last summer and what we are doing during this season and what we will do in the future will put us in the right position.”

And what is that “right position”? Can Everton eventually break into the top six'? “They (the ‘Big Six’) have the power that should put them in different conditions but we have an owner with ambition,” Silva says. “He’s not spending money just to spend. We have to do the right things. To be honest it’s not just ‘OK, let’s spend money and we’ll challenge’. Impossible. If you think in this way it’s a mistake.”

Marco Silva (centre) is under pressure to compete with the 'Big Six'

Marco Silva (centre) is under pressure to compete with the 'Big Six' CREDIT: ACTION IMAGES

Much is made of the ‘streaky’ runs Silva’s teams go on – a series of wins followed by poor results – but while he yearns for greater consistency, there are reasons for that because, frankly, he risks defeat by always trying to win.

“In football the three results are always there,” Silva says. “What we can control is to always prepare your team to win – not just to play for a point. The opponent can force us to do something different but at Everton, because you are a big club... you have to have enough courage to always try and win.”

And if they lose? “I hate it. I hate it,” Silva says. “When you have prepared the team well and they cannot achieve what you want, I hate that moment. But it’s not a word (defeat) that I use with my players; I don’t like it. I prefer to say bad result. But in football you know it can happen and the first thing to do after a bad result is to react.”

Liverpool's success increases the pressure on Marco Silva's Everton

Liverpool's success increases the pressure on Marco Silva's Everton CREDIT: ACTION IMAGES

The elephant in the room is Liverpool who are challenging for the Premier League title and the Champions League.

“It’s not an easy thing,” Silva concedes. “When you are in the same city – of course, I worked at Sporting and the rivalry (with Benfica) was really big and after that I was in Olympiakos and it was really big with Panathinaikos and AEK. When you are in a different position than your neighbour it’s not easy for your fans because there is the big desire to see our club winning, winning, winning and to get closer to that top six. They want to see Everton fighting for the same.

“Right now we are not able to do that. We have to look in a realistic way in the present to do the right things in the future. It does not mean you are not a big club like them but, in the present, we are not able to win titles like they are fighting for. We have to be honest about that because it will help us challenge in the future.”

It is a challenge he wants. “Courage is one of the keys for me when I look at all my teams,” Silva says. “It’s one of the things I always want. During this season one of the big challenges for me is to convince my players how good they can be.”

Status
Not open for further replies.