If Silva is sacked - who could/should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Chelsea expect to compete for a CL place but the fact remains he got the job done under tough circumstances...
Also delivered a trophy - something no Everton manager has done since Joe Royle.

How was he responsible for Newcastle's wage bill when he inherited a squad? Villa and WBA probably had wage bills bigger than all the other championship clubs and some of the lower PL clubs - Villa failed to get straight back up and so it seems will WBA.
Benitez got the job done.

Yes - keeping Newcastle up for 2 successive seasons is an achievement based on the quality of the squad they have as well as the crappy owner they have to work with (lack of investment well documented). Again he got the job done.

As for Eddie Howe - you can't knock his record. Taken them from the bottom tier to the top tier and stayed there for 3 years (including 2 comfortable mid table finishes) and btw are 1 place and 2 points behind us right now.

Your Napoli comment is really deluded. Finished 3rd & won a domestic cup then 4th the following season behind the big spenders of Serie A and you call that an unmitigated disaster? :Blink:

As for the football - don't think you've realised that we've not exactly been setting the world alight with Galactico's style footie ourselves in recent times.

You were pretty selective in response to my post but failed to acknowledge what he did at Valencia and across the park so I'd be interested in who you would suggest would be a good fit for us and what would constitute a successful tenure??

Mourinho 'delivered' several trophies to United, something only one Liverpool manager has done in over a decade (a penalty shootout against a championship side in the worst competition) Would Liverpool fans want him in charge? Not sure why I think you'd know but you can always speculate.

He wasn't responsible for it but it's still a fact. Let's not pretend it was some Herculean achievement. Especially as he took them down in the first place. lol lol

Sorry no matter how much you try to convince yourself that 'keeping' newcastle up is the yardstick by which to measure potential managers it's not going to work.

Napoli finished 3rd in his first season after finishing 2nd in the previous season. He suffered a humiliating defeat to Porto in the Europa League.
He then continued to take Napoli down, to a humiliating 5th place. He also oversaw their abject failure to overcome an Atletico Bilbao side? An exceptional Bilbao side who swept all before them that season? Nope! They failed to get past the group stage.

Bad players and he couldn't be blamed? Wrong! They finished 2nd the next season.
He was exposed big time.

Coppa Italia? Dolan plz.

Valenica was two decades ago mate, a financially struggling pre-Messi Barcelona and pre Galactico Madrid. Deportivo won it with 69 points the year before. Not bad but it dont make him the messiah.

Cl win with the RS was Houlliers squad and more than a bit lucky.

He`s also never once expressed a desire to manage in the Premier League, despite the amount of TV money sloshing around.

Next stupid suggestion please ?
He is learning english at the moment though so don't count it out in the future, never going to come here though.

Mourinho 'delivered' several trophies to United, something only one Liverpool manager has done in over a decade (a penalty shootout against a championship side in the worst competition) Would Liverpool fans want him in charge? Not sure why I think you'd know but you can always speculate.

He wasn't responsible for it but it's still a fact. Let's not pretend it was some Herculean achievement. Especially as he took them down in the first place. lollol

Sorry no matter how much you try to convince yourself that 'keeping' newcastle up is the yardstick by which to measure potential managers it's not going to work.

Napoli finished 3rd in his first season after finishing 2nd in the previous season. He suffered a humiliating defeat to Porto in the Europa League.
He then continued to take Napoli down, to a humiliating 5th place. He also oversaw their abject failure to overcome an Atletico Bilbao side? An exceptional Bilbao side who swept all before them that season? Nope! They failed to get past the group stage.

Bad players and he couldn't be blamed? Wrong! They finished 2nd the next season.
He was exposed big time.

Coppa Italia? Dolan plz.

Valenica was two decades ago mate, a financially struggling pre-Messi Barcelona and pre Galactico Madrid. Deportivo won it with 69 points the year before. Not bad but it dont make him the messiah.

Cl win with the RS was Houlliers squad and more than a bit lucky.

He's won stuff - something we crave. Saying it was someone else's team or XX happened before or after a manager joined or left a club doesn't change that.

You're right about JM and that he probably wouldn't be welcomed over there (in the same way Benitez wasn't welcome at Chelsea or here).
Then again clubs in the top 4/5/6 are in a much better position to be able to pick from a group of the very best managers out there - not something we have the luxury of.

If you refer back to my original post I didn't say he was the answer - my point was why we wouldn't at least consider a manager of his experience & success?
Or someone else like him IF Silva were to be sacked. Chelsea did in the short term and it worked for them.

Other names have been mentioned in this thread like Mancini, Ancelloti, Wenger & Gracia for example but we seem to find fault with all of them.
He's crazy and needs a massive chequebook / too old / his success was years ago / he's not managed a big club / he's only managed a mid table team etc etc.

So how do we ever move on? Who would you suggest is a good fit, has the right profile/experience/track record etc???

He's won stuff - something we crave. Saying it was someone else's team or XX happened before or after a manager joined or left a club doesn't change that.

You're right about JM and that he probably wouldn't be welcomed over there (in the same way Benitez wasn't welcome at Chelsea or here).
Then again clubs in the top 4/5/6 are in a much better position to be able to pick from a group of the very best managers out there - not something we have the luxury of.

If you refer back to my original post I didn't say he was the answer - my point was why we wouldn't at least consider a manager of his experience & success?
Or someone else like him IF Silva were to be sacked. Chelsea did in the short term and it worked for them.

Other names have been mentioned in this thread like Mancini, Ancelloti, Wenger & Gracia for example but we seem to find fault with all of them.
He's crazy and needs a massive chequebook / too old / his success was years ago / he's not managed a big club / he's only managed a mid table team etc etc.

So how do we ever move on? Who would you suggest is a good fit, has the right profile/experience/track record etc???

Because he's a busted flush. And his football is awful. Worse than Big Sams. Always has been.

I never get the emotional connection some fans have with managers.

Might just be me but I dont give a toss if our manager sleeps in LFC pyjamas or has an Everton tattoo all I ask is that they are good at their job and have us competing for europe/trophies.

Its why I never get fans who refuse to ever accept the possibility of Benitez as manager likewise I dont get when fans clamour for Unsworth or Arteta to get the job because they are "one of us".

Makes no difference to me - only affinity I have is for the players as they are the ones I pay to go watch not the bloke stood on the touchline.

I never get the emotional connection some fans have with managers.

Might just be me but I dont give a toss if our manager sleeps in LFC pyjamas or has an Everton tattoo all I ask is that they are good at their job and have us competing for europe/trophies.

Its why I never get fans who refuse to ever accept the possibility of Benitez as manager likewise I dont get when fans clamour for Unsworth or Arteta to get the job because they are "one of us".

Makes no difference to me - only affinity I have is for the players as they are the ones I pay to go watch not the bloke stood on the touchline.
For the record, I don’t want Rafael because of who he used to manage.

I don’t want him because he’s done nothing in about 10 years and is a massive prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.