• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's due to playing g for a team where he is not as busy tacking as they have much more if the ball, so make of that what you will. I'm sure his passing stats will have gone through the roof compared to when he was here.
Right, when you see a player with crazy usage numbers it usually means that they are noticeably better than their teammates.

The guys with top tier tackling stats usually play in midfield for a rubbish side, and they're making tackles because the opponent is running rings around the mugs they are surrounded by.

Would it be an offence to refuse to employ Gana over his religious beliefs on homosexuality? Genuine question that, I have no idea
is it an offence to not employ someone based on their sexual beliefs? yes is the answer to both. Because that is active opposition rather than passive opposition.

not having a pride day in the office is not a criminal offence, for example, but not eploying someone explicitly because they are Gay is.

In reality though you find other reasons not to employ someone without actually explicitly stating the root reason. 'not a good fit in the structure of the team compared to person x' and so on.

He hasn't said anything himself though at all has he? . The whole missing a game, while I believe it to be likely true as it has happened twice possibly?, was all media conjecture. I dont share the same view that he alledgedly has but at the same time people are entitled to their opinions. It's when someone's opinion, turns into an action and harms someone that it becomes an issue. whether it to be with LGBT or even along the linee religion, believe what you like if it makes you happy or how you see it just do not project it onto others and try to force them to share that view.

Just to the bit in bold, two key points I think;

1. nobody in any job should be forced to be a part of a campaign or cause they do not believe in. Whether they are right or wrong in anyones eyes. So if you are saying his work opportunities should be effected, take into account that the whole thing should have been optional anyway. I may be wrong but I think Rainbow laces wasn't forced upon every single player? they chose to or not.

2. Has he actually said anything at all on the matter? Because from what I can see (and maybe ive missed something) it has all been media talk.

Which is why I said "If he wants to be a bigot." You're correct I don't know his actual thoughts but to do something as petty as not wearing some rainbow football laces or number on the back of his shirt is pretty telling.

This "view" is harmful though, it might seem innocuous to say "oh well he's entitled to that view", but the fact is we're in 2022 and men throughout football are still in fear of coming out to the point where they wait until the end of their careers to do so.

Then if your accusing someone of that I'm sure you will provide the proof or that could be slanderous.
I'm accusing nobody of anything, I'm merely saying that if we were debating it, I could construct an argument that it constitutes "hate"

For those interested in stats.

When Gana left, he was top 5 tackler in Europe.

Last season, he was ranked 78 with 2.3 tackles pr game.

Allan was ranked 32 with 2.6 tackles per game.

Ndidi was amongst top 5 when Gana left, his ranked 6 last season.

Doucoure ranked 40, 2.5 per game.
As has been said you don’t have to tackle anywhere near as much if your side dominates possession. Last season PSG averaged 63%. In Gueyes last season at Everton it was 46%

That's due to playing g for a team where he is not as busy tacking as they have much more if the ball, so make of that what you will. I'm sure his passing stats will have gone through the roof compared to when he was here.

2019/20 psg
Passing 92.7
Longball 2.1

2020/21
Passing 92.6
Longball 1.6

2021/22
Passing 93.5
Longball 1.4

2016/17 everton
Passing 86.3
Longball 2.9

2017/18
Passing 84.7
Longball 2.2

2018/19
Passing 84.3
Longball 3.2

Idrissa works in a country where 13, 288, 000 of its citizens voted for a fascist a few weeks ago. He wrorks for a club owned by Qatar - not noted for its cuddly attitude to those that don't fit its picture of 'proper human'. The whole situation is riddled in irony.
I could make light of it and suggest that as we have a record of employing wife beaters and dangerous drunks, why not complete the collection by employing a homophobe but I'm better than that. Just!

Homophobic stances are not 'opinions': they are positions of bigotry which need to be challenged. The business of 'opinion' is trotted out by those whose arguments have sunk beneath the waves and are looking for an escape hatch so they don't appear to be either foolish or closeted homophobes themselves.
I've never heard the sentence, "Adolf was just being playful. He has opinions about the Jews".

Homophobia is not contingent on place of birth. They come in all shapes, sizes and colours. Those who have commented on his upbringing in Africa have very serious issues if they believe that Africans have no moral agency ... "Oh it doesn't matter, he's African. He can't help it". Ridiculous racism.

The other argument is that politics shouldn't be dragged into sport. I have to be generous and imagine that those who hold such a position don't actually know what the hell politics is.

paragraph 1 - So you're good with imposing your moral outlook on the world, but you're not good with other peoples moral outlook?

paragraph 2 - You think refusing to wear a rainbow shirt is a homophobic stance? ideologist view (you're either with us or against us - it's not so binomial.)

paragraph 3 - You think someones religious beliefs is country specific? you don't think that coming from Africa which is 'the last great battleground of religion' peoples religious beliefs are more resolute (because the church/mosque feeds the people who cannot feed themselves). Islam is not pro LGBTQ++ ... just go to Bradford/Blackburn/Luton/East London and see the (lack of) rainbow flag support

paragraph 4 - this isn't politics, it's religion. do you think religion should be dragged into sport?

You're literally postulating persecuting someone for their religious beliefs.

I actually don't think we should sign him (even though I voted yes) because Liverpool is very progressive on LGBTQ++ values and so he doesn't fit in with the culture of the city... but this is a dangerous precident to go down.

Last edited:
If you have gay mates, go out and ask them whether they are offended by Gueye’s refusal to wear a rainbow costume? If you have more than one gay friend, I think it’s likely that you may get a range of views because they don’t all think the same!

I went for a drink with a good lesbian friend last night, and I told her about this hoo-ha regarding Gueye. She laughed and said “I don’t think the gay community should be forcing their beliefs onto the Christian community”. She followed that by saying “I wouldn’t like it if they started asking me to wear clothes with crosses all over them. So leave them alone”.

I think she made a very good point. I mean, would you be okay with gays being forced to wear Christian clothing in Senegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.