2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all those cases, the aforementioned teams replaced key player with key player. In some cases, they purchased before the departure of said key player.

You're absolutely right though, it does happen and it's something we'll need to become accustomed to. But i'd hope for better than Delph to replace him.

I totally agree with the last paragraphs but totally disagree with the first paragraph.

Who did Leicester replace Kante and Drinkwater with? Ndiddi I think was one...

Probably would tbh, be a massive step up. Thankfully I can't see us getting that desperate.

I don't think it is to be honest

People like to dump on West Ham in here, but they are only ever so slightly worse off than us and are just a couple of shrewd signings away from being on our level. A lad like Rice will see that. They're also in London as well, which has more drawing power

He'll see West Ham as a good vehicle to get him up the ziggeraut. We'd be at best a lateral move for him

We all knew this could potentially materialise. I love Gana but it's football and nobody is irreplaceable, it's simply the nature of the beast, players come and go. It's ok, so long as good replacements are brought in, if not you go backwards but often selling a good player for a high fee can help strengthen a few areas, as long as Walsh n Koeman don't get the funds to spend.

Not sure we are going to get anyone that replaces Gueye directly, there aren't many players that have his engine and tackle anywhere on the pitch like him... wouldn't surprise me if we got a younger better version of Schniederlin- solid defensively and decent on the ball

I totally agree with the last paragraphs but totally disagree with the first paragraph.

Who did Leicester replace Kante and Drinkwater with? Ndiddi I think was one...

They replaced Kante with Ndidi immediately and he's gone on to become a top quality player.

They also signed Mendy, Iborra and Adrien Silva for a combined £50m in Drinkwaters position (all not particularly successful) but the point stands.

They sold a key player and went big to try and replace him, either before or after he left.

Incredible to see how Fernandinho, Fabinho, Ndombele, Torreira, Ndidi, Matic, Doucoure, Neves and Rice are all outperforming Gueye over the last 3 years.

Definitely shows PSG up for fools, Kante is also way better than Gueye as the below metric shows.

Can't help but agree with those who say Gueye is average at best lol

View attachment 62972

By this metric, Mo Diame is better than Ngolo Kante and Wily Boly is better than Van Dijk.

Means nothing.

They replaced Kante with Ndidi immediately and he's gone on to become a top quality player.

They also signed Mendy, Iborra and Adrien Silva for a combined £50m in Drinkwaters position (all not particularly successful) but the point stands.

They sold a key player and went big to try and replace him, either before or after he left.

I totally agree. If we can replace gana we should have it all lined up before he’s sold to avoid the extra money price hike. There must be some obscure run all day DM player in the French league - that’s seemingly where they come from at the moment.

Yeah it was the drinkwater one that puzzled me. I have a feeling they hadn’t found a like for like and tried to shoe horn in 3 different players - none of which worked.

I do think finding a kante/Gueye replacement is easier that a drinkwater type to some extent, which is why I just want us to squeeze as much money out of the snail eaters as possible. I actually think our replacement will come from the French league. PSG go for prem over Ligue 1 because prem to champs league isn’t the same quality step up and is therefore less of a risk. IMO. Which means we can pick up a 22 year old potential future kante for less than we get for a nigh on 30 year old.

Everyone in football sells their best players mate. Chelsea have this season, Liverpool have numerous times over the last few years. Teams around us do, Leicester who everyone fetishises on here, sold theirs last summer. West Ham have sold theirs. It’s the football food chain, it happens and we just move on and get on with it.

I agree with that and I get it.

But... we seemed to be on the verge of really pushing on at the end of last season, and as it stands we could be without two of the players who were key to that good form.

It's not the end of the world, but as you say, teams sell their best players. Now, in the form of Chelsea, Arsenal and United, there's three clubs all within touching distance because they've either sold their best players, look to be selling their best players or, in Arsenal's case, are refusing to pay over 30p for players.

So while I accept its part and parcel of the game, it's frustrating as this seems a real chance to push on and selling not only your 'best' player, but more a player who was key to how Silva set us up at the back end of last season, seems to risk taking the old one step forward two steps back approach.

I'm happy Delph has given us breathing room at least that if Gana does go, we can probably switch to another way of playing to allow Gana's replacement time to settle.

Whoa. Ndidi is fine, but Kante was a different level and that’s the problem. Now Kante literally may have had the best season a defensive mid has ever had in the PL, so he was impossible to replace, but if it was so easy, Leicester wouldn’t be in mid table. So you can’t use this as an example of what we’d want to happen, and it could.

Whoa. Ndidi is fine, but Kante was a different level and that’s the problem. Now Kante literally may have had the best season a defensive mid has ever had in the PL, so he was impossible to replace, but if it was so easy, Leicester wouldn’t be in mid table. So you can’t use this as an example of what we’d want to happen, and it could.
Ndidi’s a bit more than just fine, he’s one of the best defensive midfielders out there and it shows you can replace quality players with good scouting

Status
Not open for further replies.