2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was a better, younger player available for £30 million, then PSG would be signing them instead.

Tell him he’s under contract and he’s staying.
PSG don't do scouting m8, They buy big names and let other teams develop talent then offer big money for the talent instead of finding it themselves.

This is football, not the financial world (And there's plenty of evidence that hedgefunds are not necessarily good things either, but that's another discussion for another thread)

We have eyes and can see how good a player Gana is, so we're perfectly entitled to question whether selling him would be a good idea without deferring to Brands' judgment, regardless of how many good signings Brands has already made

Having a completely unquestioning approach to Brands is what's nonsensical. It's actually incredibly dangerous

I can just see you being one of the Chelsea supporters who complained about signing Makelele at age 30, and you would have been wrong then too

I dont agree with a single thing in this post.

Even your example of Makalele to Chelsea for me has no comparison because of the pots of cash thrown into Chelsea at the time when there were no FFP regulations.

Not to mention the clear fact that Gana and Makalele...i mean how can you even dare to compare the two lol

Its basically like asking would you want the best player in the world in their position at 30 years old...erm yes...totally irrelevant to Gana in every way shape or form.

Youre telling me Gana is world class? Give over.

Im all for the 'Roy of the Rovers' love for players and to totally discount the financial side of the business, but in that case its best to just admit you want to keep the player out of sentiment (see Coleman, Seamus)...

Even your example of Makalele to Chelsea for me has no comparison because of the pots of cash thrown into Chelsea at the time when there were no FFP regulations.

Not to mention the clear fact that Gana and Makalele...i mean how can you even dare to compare the two lol

It's very easy to compare the two. Gana is a similar type of player and does a similar role to Makélélé and is now at a similar age to what he was when he joined Chelsea. Obviously Makélélé was the better player, but the best player in that mold that we could attract to Everton is Gana. Kante, Makélélé's heir in many ways, is the next tier up and we'd never get him here

Its basically like asking would you want the best player in the world in their position at 30 years old...erm yes...totally irrelevant to Gana in every way shape or form.

Im all for the 'Roy of the Rovers' love for players and to totally discount the financial side of the business, but in that case its best to just admit you want to keep the player out of sentiment (see Coleman, Seamus)...

We're not attracting a world class player here to Everton at this current stage. Gana is the best player in his position that we could get here. I don't even see how that's debatable. Outside of Kante and Fernandinho, I can't think of another CDM in the entire League I'd take over Gana, he's that good

You clearly have the opposite, where you irrationally hate players because they don't meet your narrow criteria of what constitutes "good"

You can act otherwise, but you just hate Gana and always have, so your opinion on him can't really carry much weight in all honesty

Even the financial argument doesn't work, as Gana has shown no signs of going off a cliff, so 3 more seasons from him at the current level he's at would give us a better chance of qualifying for Europe and winning pots, which will bring financial reward and the opportunity to attract better players. Maybe in 3 years time we could then actually attract a world class replacement for Gana and he can move on?

Last edited:
A new big contract for a de-motivated player = money down the drain.

What tells you he is de-motivated? He played unreal 2nd half of the season and said how much he appreciated Everton. A big contract matching what Psg could pay would be worth it. If not and he wants to get instant trophies i don't blame him. He has been totally respectful of our club. I'd wish him the best but i'd want more than his value. The same as every club does to us etc Sigurdson. He is worth more to us than his value so if he is to go. They have to pay up.

If i had a 100% success rate in something...would you back me to succeed or fail ?

Because thats what were working with here.
I'm not saying this to criticise Brands, but the idea that he has a 100% success rate is absolutely ludicrous. It's debatable that his record is even 100% for us, and he's only made about 4 signings. It certainly won't be 100% over his career.

Gana is not irreplaceable, nobody is. But why would we want to replace him? That's the key for me. Selling your better players isn't a natural way to progress in my opinion, so I'd rather we didn't do it very regularly. Sometimes you've not really got a choice, but on this occasion I think we have, so I would prefer him to stay.

Agree, everyone likes Gana. You'd have to be stupid not to see that he's a good player and gives us a lot defensively

But the business side DOES matter. We have FFP to contend with - no matter how much some people like to ignore this, we aren't allowed for our owner to simply bankroll us - and there aren't too many situations that are going to arise where we have the opportunity to make such a big profit on a player who is almost 30 and whose value will dwindle significantly over the coming year or two.

You want us to spend big money on the likes of Kean, Malcom, Pepe etc? Well that money needs to come from somewhere, and it isn't all going to be generated from the little we get for the dross on our books that we've been struggling to shift for a couple of years.

It's why when we can make big accounting profits on the likes of Lookman and Gueye, we need to think very seriously about it. It's a different way of thinking than just "keep hold of all of your good players", but it's ultimately less shortsighted

It's very easy to compare the two. Gana is a similar type of player and does a similar role to Makélélé and is now at a similar age to what he was when he joined Chelsea. Obviously Makélélé was the better player, but the best player in that mold that we could attract to Everton is Gana. Kante, Makélélé's heir in many ways, is the next tier up and we'd never get him here

We're not attracting a world class player here to Everton at this current stage. Gana is the best player in his position that we could get here. I don't even see how that's debatable. Outside of Kante and Fernandinho, I can't think of another CDM in the entire League I'd take over Gana, he's that good

You clearly have the opposite, where you irrationally hate players because they don't meet your narrow beliefs

For me, Gana and Makalele are vastly different players who play in the same position. Thats for ability, technical prowess and style.

Lucas Digne was signed 12 months ago. The best left back in the league, yet somehow we cant do the same again...

Thats a clear example of a 'narrow belief'.

Another example of a 'narrow belief' is stating people belong to a CULT for backing the management of the club.

Before you start throwing insults around, have a think about what the actual discussion is about. Its about building a successful squad within the rules of the game and you dont do that by holding onto ageing players when its financial sense to sell and improve.

For me, Gana and Makalele are vastly different players who play in the same position. Thats for ability, technical prowess and style.

Lucas Digne was signed 12 months ago. The best left back in the league, yet somehow we cant do the same again...

Thats a clear example of a 'narrow belief'.

Another example of a 'narrow belief' is stating people belong to a CULT for backing the management of the club.

Before you start throwing insults around, have a think about what the actual discussion is about. Its about building a successful squad within the rules of the game and you dont do that by holding onto ageing players when its financial sense to sell and improve.

There's zero evidence he's going off a cliff in anyway whatsoever

He could easily give us 3 more years at a high level, if not more, and by helping us compete for Europe and silverware we can become more successful as a club and then attract a better caliber of player when it comes for him to move on, as well as receiving financial rewards for that success. Win win one Cup and he's justified his contract, easily

And there's a BIG difference between backing management and saying you cannot question them, which is the line you crossed, and that's a cult, like it or not

Last edited:

The problem is unfortunately you will never get away from sentimentality. The club has stank of it fir 20yrs and some of the fans have been brainwashed by kenwright & co happy to finish 7th falling in love with players after half a decent season. Mirralas getting a new contract is a prime example of accepting mediocrity

I understand it’s all about opinions, but some of the rubbish I’ve heard and seen lately is incredible.
Listening to a couple of podcasts, I’ve heard
Bolasie deserves another chance, Niasse works hard. Get Rondon in and let’s spend 40mil on Callum Wilson.

Just listened to Greg okeefe, tony Scott & Gav buckland on a podcast. Okeefe & buckland said sell. Scott said keep. And we don’t need the money which I disagree with.

I’ve never Be Gana’s fan, great at what he does but has never been great in possession, it’s quite funny his best spell of form has come after PSG bid for him. I would definitely sell and if we can’t get 35mil that would be great help the club purchase younger players with higher potential.

I’ve said that under Koeman, big Sam even moyes Gana is their perfect player. But silva wants more possession And to really challenge the top 6 I think you need to dominate games. And there were plenty of games last season against the average teams in the league our midfield didn’t.

Also the link to makalele & Fernandinho are a joke, both a class above gana. And like you say Chelsea weren’t handicapped by FFP and city don’t give a dam about. They are quite happy to let Fernandinho’s legs drop off and then they will go and pay 70mil for a replacement. Look at Aguero if he was at Everton we would now to looking to flog him to China for 50mil and buy a younger replacement. City won’t they will have him for maybe 2 more years and then let him go on a free back to Argentina. And then go and buy a new striker for 150mil.

Even Arsenal under wenger when they were winning things still sold. Henry, overmars and petit when they we around the 30age. We haven’t got a bottomless pit, so need to be clever in the market.

I’ve said that under Koeman, big Sam even moyes Gana is their perfect player. But silva wants more possession And to really challenge the top 6 I think you need to dominate games. And there were plenty of games last season against the average teams in the league our midfield didn’t.

I've seen others say this, but how do we know that Silva doesn't want a Gana styled player in his midfield?

From what I've seen, that sort of player is key to how he wants us to play

People might just need to accept that even if Gana does leave, his replacement will be a similar styled defensive midfielder and not the free flowing passer some people seem to think he will be. Ultimately, that's why we have Gomes. It's his job to retain possession and create whilst Gana does the unfashionable stuff to free him up to do it

Last edited:

I've seen others say this, but how do we know that Silva doesn't want a Gana styled player in his midfield?

From what I've seen, that sort of player is key to how he wants us to play

People might just need to accept that even if Gana does leave, his replacement will be a similar styled defensive midfielder and not the free flowing passer some people seem to think he will be
We don’t. But I do think he may look to similar style, but with more quality on the ball.

If we sell and who ever we buy, it’s always going to be a bit of a gamble.

If we keep gana, with him and siggurdsson. In 2 years we will have to spend a lot of money to replace them. If no youngsters have come through or a young player we may have bought hasn’t worked out. Siggurdsson is going nowhere this summer but it wouldn’t surprise me if they try and get rid next summer.

Who would you replace him with mate?

I think we can’t replace him like for like so a change of system might need to happen but not too sure where that would leave Glfyi

I would be a big Doucoure fan, Neves at Wolves i also like, Seri at Fulham, there is a good player in there.

Then there are the foreign lads Sangare etc.

I wouldn't be opposed to a change of system either, with a 4-3-3, being more mobile and crowding the midfield with more of physical presence as opposed to relying on an anchor of a 6.

Boss Legion of Doom Avator. ;)

Last edited:
The problem is unfortunately you will never get away from sentimentality. The club has stank of it fir 20yrs and some of the fans have been brainwashed by kenwright & co happy to finish 7th falling in love with players after half a decent season. Mirralas getting a new contract is a prime example of accepting mediocrity

I understand it’s all about opinions, but some of the rubbish I’ve heard and seen lately is incredible.
Listening to a couple of podcasts, I’ve heard
Bolasie deserves another chance, Niasse works hard. Get Rondon in and let’s spend 40mil on Callum Wilson.

Just listened to Greg okeefe, tony Scott & Gav buckland on a podcast. Okeefe & buckland said sell. Scott said keep. And we don’t need the money which I disagree with.

I’ve never Be Gana’s fan, great at what he does but has never been great in possession, it’s quite funny his best spell of form has come after PSG bid for him. I would definitely sell and if we can’t get 35mil that would be great help the club purchase younger players with higher potential.

Also the link to makalele & Fernandinho are a joke, both a class above gana. And like you say Chelsea weren’t handicapped by FFP and city don’t give a dam about. They are quite happy to let Fernandinho’s legs drop off and then they will go and pay 70mil for a replacement. Look at Aguero if he was at Everton we would now to looking to flog him to China for 50mil and buy a younger replacement. City won’t they will have him for maybe 2 more years and then let him go on a free back to Argentina. And then go and buy a new striker for 150mil.

Even Arsenal under wenger when they were winning things still sold. Henry, overmars and petit when they we around the 30age. We haven’t got a bottomless pit, so need to be clever in the market.
We don’t. But I do think he may look to similar style, but with more quality on the ball.

If we sell and who ever we buy, it’s always going to be a bit of a gamble.

If we keep gana, with him and siggurdsson. In 2 years we will have to spend a lot of money to replace them. If no youngsters have come through or a young player we may have bought hasn’t worked out. Siggurdsson is going nowhere this summer but it wouldn’t surprise me if they try and get rid next summer.
Id sell for 30 mill to be honest.
I would be a big Doucoure fan, Neves at Wolves i also like, Seri at Fulham, there is a good player in there.

Then there are the foreign lads Sangare etc.

I wouldn't be opposed to a change of system either, with a 4-3-3, being more mobile and crowding the midfield with more of physical presence as opposed then relying on an anchor of a 6.

Boss Legion of Doom Avator. ;)

Here are some posts i agree with.

Have to sell the guy...if there were no rules then keep him, but there are rules.

And rules we must follow...

Status
Not open for further replies.