2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played well, I thought. But his passing is atrocious and for that reason alone he needs replaced. We need to be looking at someone who can retain the ball after doing all the hard-work to win the ball back. Less athletes and more footballers please.

......either that or we need to find a real boss number 8 who controls games from midfield. Having Davies next to him, wouldn't really be that helpful.

I hate how Gueye can't pass the ball yet consistently ends up in the top 2 or 3 in the team for passing accuracy with typically one of the highest total passes as well.

Also hate how he offers nothing for but always ends up with the most tackles, intercepts, blocked shots.

And whilst we're at it, I hate how he has won more club MOTM awards than any other Everton player since he's signed.

All of that when he is obviously the worst player to ever pull on an Everton jersey. Get rid.

P.S. Our hero N'golo Kante won less ball and had a lower passing accuracy than Gueye in his match played at the same time against West Ham. Best player the world has ever seen, absolute legend him.

Agree with a lot of this but Kante doesn't play the same position anymore. Further up the pitch and trying to play passes in an area crowded with defending players with less ball winning to do given Chelsea are much better at retaining and moving the ball.

Whilst Gana's passing is atrocious, he was brought in as a defensive midfielder, to break up play, track back, win the ball, something he did well today. What he needs is someone next to him to do all the creative work, while he does all the donkey work for them, IMO like.

It might be possible though, with a really good passer next to him and in front of him, for him to just forget about forward movement, and just do that - break up play style play - and then offload it sideways or even have the ball taken off him - then he goes back to position. might be naive tactics, but it might work. I don't know which will be quicker - training Schneiderlin and/or Davies to be amazing passers or for Gana to simplify and learn how to find them

He looks this season what he in fact is: the football equivalent of a purchase from Home and Bargain.

Not like you to be negative mate.
He played really well yesterday.
As did most of the team to be fair.
At home , he should be deployed as a single holding / destructive break up midfielder. Away , ne heeds someone next to him.

Not like you to be negative mate.
He played really well yesterday.
As did most of the team to be fair.
At home , he should be deployed as a single holding / destructive break up midfielder. Away , ne heeds someone next to him.
He played well and managed to misplace most of his passes. He's struggled badly this season.

The problem with stats, is that while it might say he makes the most interceptions, it doesn't tell you many of those are interceptions after he just gave the ball away in the 1st place. Passing stats don't discount any passes made 2 yards back to the the centre back. I mean, Phil Neville used to regularly come out high up in passing stats.

I don't judge any player on stats unless the stats highlight something worthwhile, shots on targets, goals, save percentages, cleansheets, etc. Even assists can be useless as pointed out before. A simple pass on the halfway line before someone dribbles past 4 and smashes a goal in from 20 yards counts the same as someone dribbling past 4 and laying it on a plate for a striker 5 yards out.

I judge players more on what I see on a regular basis. And for me, Gueye has flattered to deceive for a long time. He doesn't stand out in any meaningful way, other than how positionally he is an absolute liability. He runs a lot, but with no intelligence, just like a headless chicken. Even Joey Barton spotted it.

People go on about how good he is as a DM, but I have lost count of the amount of times other teams waltz straight through our midfield, or how many times we are outnumbered at the back. Like the 2nd goal on Sunday. Where was Gueye then? They had 3 men in our box, we had Kenny on his own.

Other top DMs like Vieira, Keane, Makelele, etc, even Carsley, they made it harder for other to teams to score. Gueye does not do that. He doesn't have that presence that other teams dread. He doesn't have the ability of an Arteta or a Pienaar. He doesn't read or control the tempo of a game like a Barry. He doesn't even have a physical presence like Fellaini.

He just runs a lot and often takes far too long on the ball as well.

Id honestly sooner have Mccarthy, but he is just never fit enough for long enough. People go on about the fact he doesn't pass the ball forward. But what he does do is play it safe and simple, keeps the ball moving and leaves the rest to better players around him. If Gueye did that, he might actually improve the team and his own game.

He played well and managed to misplace most of his passes. He's struggled badly this season.
He didn't misplace most of his passes tho did he? He's played 5 games for us this season and he was only poor against West Ham (the worst I've ever seen him play), as were the entire team. He's played two games where we've been down to 10 men for over half the game, both of them we were unlucky not to win - I doubt we'd be saying that if he wasn't playing, winning the ball and allowing us start counter attacks.

He was out injured for a game yet he has still completed the most tackles in the premier league (once again) with 27, four more than anybody else.

You think a ball winning midfielder who's won the most tackles in the prem is struggling?

Yes he's not the greatest on the ball yet he's still had the most touches and completed the most passes of anybody on our team. He isn't the problem in our midfield and Silva needs to find the two players to play next to him. Let him do what he does best and get better ball players next to him to capitalise from his graft.

Plays better vs the bigger teams when there’s more defending to do. Think he’s handled poorly in terms of tactics and responsibilities myself. Whenever he looks like he’s been told to play the water carrier he performs miles better.

Status
Not open for further replies.