I Just Don't Get It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think your being really disingenious there regarding Moyes. Yeah we used to struggle against the top 4 (we were usually 5-8 mind) but those top 4 teams were on a completely different level to us commercially. ..it literally was like taking a knife to a gun fight. He was that hamstrung and it should not be forgotten that, that was the case.
I tell you what though, there were many times with a fully fit squad with Baines, Pienaar, Felli all on song I very often felt confident of a victory against most....now ?? They seem to fear everyone. Moyes never had us like that.
Are the Brightons etc of this world not light years behind the top 4/6 commercially now though No? They're as hamstrung now as we were then. These games where you fancied us against the top sides especially away from home, how did they go? Moyes was only too happy to promote the culture of accepting partial success/failure that has been slowly rotting our club since Carter and his chums banged the drum as loud as anyone for the premier league then sat on their hands smiling smugly as clubs that were our equal or certainly within our reach sailed away from us by striving for actual success on and off the pitch. The whole culture of the club has to change.

I think you are being very short minded saying moyes never had us like that.

We lost a semi final against Chelsea after they had a player sent off. We lost a semi against Liverpool by literally defending for 60 minutes against them. We lost a cup final by being defensive against Chelsea. These are just high profile examples of it, how many super defensive displays against other teams did we have?

This is the same manager who defended a Sunderland 1-0 after 6 minutes of the game. The same manager who losing 1-0 subbed his injured defender in midfield for another one (we lost still). The same manager who won like 3 derbies in 11 years despite the many times we had to beat them.

Moyes is a bottler make no mistake. He was sacked from United for exactly the same thing. Telling the reigning league champions to be worried about west ham? Defending in their own half when a year before Ferguson had them 3 goals up after an hour?

I have always believed that despite the lack of money, Moyes negative mind set held himself back. Yes the money issue may have improved the team immensely (essien, hazard, manolas, checzh to name a few) but ultimately Moyes fear held the team back from ever achieving anything great.

Even finishing 4th he completely bottled it in the second half of the season and the team fell apart. We only got there because the kopites focused on a much bigger prize (to our downfall) but instead of strolling to 4th thst year we limped there.
Possibly all true, Derby games though, Moyes has been gone for ages now, We have had 3 new managers after him with wildly differing styles, Some would argue far more expansive braver managers (bobs 1st season) ...how many derby's have we won since Moyes's 3 ?? Yet this is still Moyes's negative attitude ??
Bob managed to decimate his defence in 12 months, lazy players were being held up as full of swagger, The club has changed beyond all recognition since Moyes, Attitudes have completely changed. Players have all but changed, The ones who have remained are still held as our better players (attitude wise at least). Yet everything that has or will ever be is Moyes fault....
Not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.