I Just Don't Get It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the clubs DNA since the late 90s and through to a decade of Moyes of being scared of the bigger teams away from home.

Every team has "something" they struggle to get over

What I don't get is how teams like Brighton, Swansea and Wigan can play teams like Arsenal, the rs and Citeh, put in great performances and end up beating them yet, against such opposition, we play like awestruck teenagers. This inevitably leads to a good beating of course.
Can anybody explain this???

It's been like this for the last 25 years.

We haven't won at Chelsea (penalty shootout aside) since my 30 year old son was 6. And we've won just twice at Old Trafford in the entire history of the Premier League. As for our record at Anfield...

In the clubs DNA since the late 90s and through to a decade of Moyes of being scared of the bigger teams away from home.

Every team has "something" they struggle to get over
Liverpool in the semi at Wembley.
Jelavic on fire.
Biggest, biggest, bottle job EVER.

1-0 up, bossing it, and we went safe against an utter gash RS defence.

Unforgivable.

Mentality
Carra was right tonight, we are physically and mentally weak at the moment....

I think we will be ok and finish mid table - hopefully this season is the wake up call moshri needs to realise he needs to re-evaluate top to bottom starting with Sam and Walsh....

managers. With the exception of martinez, we've had 20 years worth of manager who for some unknown reason come here and believe we CAN'T beat these teams and set up so so negatively. I don't really know why koeman attacked all these teams with a much poorer soton squad, yet when he was here he felt like he was managing a league 2 team and set up every time to park the bus.

We crushed City last year and are still the only team to get points from them at the Etihad this year....but I hear what you're saying. I think its likely that we just pay attention when one of the top 4/6 get beat by a relegation team and pretty much ignore it when it's the other way around.

There is a reddit from late January showing the top 6 vs the bottom half. 73 games played, 5 losses, 12 draws. So in other words, a bottom half team had been a team from the top six around 8% of the time, or 1 game per year per bottom half team. You would expect to draw a further 2 games. We've had our two draws (against City and the RS). We just need a win to do what the average bottom half club does. We're actually quite normal for a crap team.

but we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to that low level.

Because for so long we have been the best of the rest, we have gone toe to toe with them and lost and have therefore come to see ourselves as not quite good enough against those teams and go in with the mindset that they are better than us therefore we will lose.

Teams like Brighton, Huddersfield etc see one of the top 6 as a major scalp and raise their game accordingly.

What I don't get is how teams like Brighton, Swansea and Wigan can play teams like Arsenal, the rs and Citeh, put in great performances and end up beating them yet, against such opposition, we play like awestruck teenagers. This inevitably leads to a good beating of course.
Can anybody explain this???
Moyes dna on the club now, alluding to a post I put up yesterday ;)
I remember playing reading in moyes last season in charge and fearing them like they were the in form team. They beat us 2-0 , giving them their first win of the season in November. We then went to qpr and almost gave them their first win of the season as well.

Point is I can't remember the last time we went into a game and genuinely felt like we were the better team. I don't mean in play but before kick off, where you see the teams and get confident that we will just be boss. That's the issue we have had since moyes walked in and no matter who has took over it remains. The core of the players seem to buy into that also, with most of our signings used to getting beat and relegation battles so there is no real spirit of ambition in the dressing room.

The collective belief in that dressing room suggests to me that none of them think they are winners, even now. They are all used to it, if we lose then it's fine, they lost at their old clubs as well.

Imagine forming a team of winners instead? We have them here, Rooney, Walcott, tosun, klassen, mori to name a few are all winners before they came to us. So how about we get rid of all the losers and old guard (minus Coleman of course) and allow winners to make up the team? Worst case scenario they may expect better than what allardyce koeman or Martinez serves up in terms of tactics.

managers. With the exception of martinez, we've had 20 years worth of manager who for some unknown reason come here and believe we CAN'T beat these teams and set up so so negatively. I don't really know why koeman attacked all these teams with a much poorer soton squad, yet when he was here he felt like he was managing a league 2 team and set up every time to park the bus.
Southampton can at least complete a pass. The players we have presently are shockingly poor at even the basics.

Moyes dna on the club now, alluding to a post I put up yesterday ;)
I remember playing reading in moyes last season in charge and fearing them like they were the in form team. They beat us 2-0 , giving them their first win of the season in November. We then went to qpr and almost gave them their first win of the season as well.

Point is I can't remember the last time we went into a game and genuinely felt like we were the better team. I don't mean in play but before kick off, where you see the teams and get confident that we will just be boss. That's the issue we have had since moyes walked in and no matter who has took over it remains. The core of the players seem to buy into that also, with most of our signings used to getting beat and relegation battles so there is no real spirit of ambition in the dressing room.

The collective belief in that dressing room suggests to me that none of them think they are winners, even now. They are all used to it, if we lose then it's fine, they lost at their old clubs as well.

Imagine forming a team of winners instead? We have them here, Rooney, Walcott, tosun, klassen, mori to name a few are all winners before they came to us. So how about we get rid of all the losers and old guard (minus Coleman of course) and allow winners to make up the team? Worst case scenario they may expect better than what allardyce koeman or Martinez serves up in terms of tactics.
Think your being really disingenious there regarding Moyes. Yeah we used to struggle against the top 4 (we were usually 5-8 mind) but those top 4 teams were on a completely different level to us commercially. ..it literally was like taking a knife to a gun fight. He was that hamstrung and it should not be forgotten that, that was the case.
I tell you what though, there were many times with a fully fit squad with Baines, Pienaar, Felli all on song I very often felt confident of a victory against most....now ?? They seem to fear everyone. Moyes never had us like that.

The answer is simple we have a club captain and assistant captain that have never won anything in their careers, we have players who have been with us for years who never won anything.
Also most importantly we play these teams every year and we don’t seem to have the hunger or desire to beat them, that feeds down from the captain.

As Neville said on MMF and is very true we have NO leaders both on and off the pitch

Whilst that is very true, it does not address the question posed by the OP as to why the clubs he mentions often turn up and win those type of games.....because those teams are replete with just the type of player you mention.

Take even Crystal Palace......this season they put up a heck of a fight against teams which just steamrollered us.

They have beaten Chelsea and missed a last minute penalty which would have inflicted City’s first defeat.

They took the game to United last night in a way this current Everton set up would never have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.