How did you come to be an Evertonian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton were first on MOTD on the occasion when I was first allowed to stay up late enough to watch it. So, only having a curiosity about football until then, and kicking about in the street after school, I stuck with them. This was in Gordon Lee's time as manager.

I have no Scouse connections, and my parents/siblings were not especially keen on football and had no affiliations of their own (though my mother has long-since adopted Everton as her team, because of me). Aww.

We did not choose. We were chosen.

My grandad was a blue, my dad was a red, my dad moved from Fazakerley to St Helens just before I was born, my grandad got to me first so I was a blue. Used to make my dad take me to games growing up and he would pretend he hated it. When I have a kid he isn't gonna have the choice to rebel like me and the other Ebbrwools.

Great Great Granddad > Great Granddad > Granddad > Dad > Me > Kids.........same as everyone really.....

Dad and Uncle are Blues, the rest of that side are majority Liverpool. On my mums side she doesn't have much interest in football but didn't mind celtic and villa as our family has distant relatives that played for them, uncle on that side and his kids all everton aswell.

Didn't take a huge interest in football till i was about 5/6 and think it was the game against derby in either 1998/99 that i asked my dad to take me to a match. No idea what happened in the game but can still remember sitting there and my mind was completely made up after that. 1 season later i had my first season ticket.

One of my favourable memories from childhood is after i broke my arm i went to an ian rush football academy, had pictures taken with him and a couple of other lads for a newpaper, i turned up in my yellow everton shirt and he asked me what i thought about liverpool i answered as bluntly as possible "really hate them" :D

Dad and Uncle are Blues, the rest of that side are majority Liverpool. On my mums side she doesn't have much interest in football but didn't mind celtic and villa as our family has distant relatives that played for them, uncle on that side and his kids all everton aswell.

Didn't take a huge interest in football till i was about 5/6 and think it was the game against derby in either 1998/99 that i asked my dad to take me to a match. No idea what happened in the game but can still remember sitting there and my mind was completely made up after that. 1 season later i had my first season ticket.

One of my favourable memories from childhood is after i broke my arm i went to an ian rush football academy, had pictures taken with him and a couple of other lads for a newpaper, i turned up in my yellow everton shirt and he asked me what i thought about liverpool i answered as bluntly as possible "really hate them" :D
Who is that in your avatar

Sorry if this is a bit long But:
I was definitely born not manufactured. Two families of blues, one Irish who decided that the blue half of the city was their spiritual home when they moved across the Irish Sea to Liverpool in the 1930s. The other, Liverpool born and bred headed by a grandfather who told me that he stopped going to Goodison in 1933 when somebody urinated down the back of his best suit. I don’t know what shocked me more- the weeing incident or the fact that he wore his best suit for the match. Apparently it was the done thing in those days. I have to also mention my Uncle Tom who once said “I don’t care who you marry girl but please don’t marry a Liverpudlian” It was sound advice, I could never have been happy with a Kopite. I still married outside the faith though, hubby hails from County Durham and supports Newcastle United.

However I digress, my first memory of Everton is in Nigeria- we lived there for a bit when my Dad had a job over there. I recall him hunched over a radio listening to the 1966 FA Cup Final. There are two notable things here- it was the first time I had seen a grown man cry and, despite the sweltering tropical heat, he was wearing a woolly Everton hat and scarf. My Dad is a quiet man now almost 80 but still a passionate follower of Everton. My Uncle Tom, now deceased, said the first time he heard my Dad swear was at Goodison when he missed the Golden Goal winner by one second!

When my younger brothers were deemed old enough my Dad took all three of us to Goodison. It was a 1975 FA Cup match against Fulham. We sat in the Top Balcony, Jealous Mind by Alvin Stardust blasted out of the PA. And we lost. I should have known there and then that I was setting myself up for a lifetime of disappointment, punctuated by spectacular fleeting moments of brilliance. But I was hooked.

And so it began. I watched all through the Billy Bingham years, suffered Gordon Lee’s reign and fell hopelessly in love with Bob Latchford. The curly perm almost ended the relationship but it’s amazing what well toned thighs will do for forgiveness. And then there was the day Mick Lyons Came To Our School Fair. I’ve no idea how it happened. The Primary School I attended had a summer fete every year. In this particular year Mick Lyons, accompanied by Terry Darracott, came along to officially open the event. My Mum was helping out in the beer tent (it was a Catholic school!) and professed him to be lovely. I couldn’t believe it – Mick Lyons was at my school. Wow! I still have his and Terry’s autographs in my secret keepsakes box. Looking back I am still astonished, he was Everton’s captain at the time and he came to our school.

And then came the 1980s. What a decade, my music tastes are still firmly rooted in the 1980s. I went to see Bruce Springsteen for the first time, I discovered holidays abroad with your mates and Everton were awesome. It was wonderful. We won things, I went to Wembley twice. I saw us win the FA Cup. The whole team were brilliant- my favourite players were Kevin Sheedy, Peter Reid and the much underrated Kevin Richardson. However I really fancied Kevin Ratcliffe (I can see a pattern emerging, have I got a secret desire for Kevins?) I also almost lost my best friend in an Everton related incident. She hated football but was nominally a Red. Her boyfriend and eventual husband was an obnoxious Glaswegian who just happened to be best mates with Pat Nevin, playing for Everton at the time. She went to Wembley, ended up in the players lounge with MY heroes. A red who hated football…..sometimes the world is a cruel place. Was I jealous? Definitely. Did I speak to her again? Only just.

It would be fair to say that we have never reached the heights of the 1980s, the FA Cup win in the 1995 was a high spot, the near relegation was a low spot but ever since it has been the same old so near yet so far; losing to teams we should eat for breakfast, astounding the faithful with flashes of brilliance. And we’ve been unlucky. I mean really unlucky. Not just the “every fan says it about their team” variety of unlucky. I’m old enough to remember Clive Thomas disallowing a perfectly good Bryan Hamilton goal,it still rankles. There was the European ban. Make no bones about it, that team at that time would definitely have won the European Cup. Collina, allegedly the best referee in the world, disallowing Big Dunc’s goal. Even Bobby's first season- in any other Premier League season, the points tally amassed by Everton would have achieved a Champions League place. I could go on.

But I still love them. I can’t help it. I love the team and I love the fans who have the best self- deprecating sense of humour. You can’t hurt us with jokes- we know them all and we tell better ones against ourselves. Everton fans remind me of Eeyore, living in a permanent state of depression and never quite believing the good times. Every Everton fan I know has the eye roll-resigned shoulder shrug combo to perfection, usually accompanied by a sigh and the words “typical Everton”. I love our old rickety stadium with its obstructed views. Who else can boast a stadium that actually does shake when the fans are in full cry. I love the unmistakeable smell of weed in the Lower Bullens just before kick off and thereafter at stressful moments during the game. I love the classiness of our club, the knack of knowing what is the right thing to do.

My old man genuinely reckons he would have drowned any of his kids who took the red pill! Says he would have gone to nick with a smile on his face! Eccentric, quirky, borderline psychotic, who knows? All I can say is I remain graeteful to this day!

Status
Not open for further replies.