how close are we to the "best"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Cena. It's not one or two players, it's five or six. You won't get any change to our depth with two or three, especially if we have to sell to get them.

Once you have the depth of numbers, you also need the depth of quality. Now, I've previously stated that I liked Denis for his effort & enthusiasm, but he's not the type of player we need in our "Depth" department.

I think we are stronger than we were in 2005. We need a good start though and then we would see. And we need to get Pienaar and keep Jelly fit. Confidence breeds confidence. In all honesty, we are probably 3 top class players + Pienaar away from achieving 4th...basically 2 right side players and support striker. But we are also just a couple of long term injuries away from being pretty sh1t again.

And we need to started smacking the teams that deserve smacking and stop bottling it against the RS. Sometimes it's not about having the best players

I think we are stronger than we were in 2005. We need a good start though and then we would see. And we need to get Pienaar and keep Jelly fit. Confidence breeds confidence. In all honesty, we are probably 3 top class players + Pienaar away from achieving 4th...basically 2 right side players and support striker. But we are also just a couple of long term injuries away from being pretty sh1t again.

And we need to started smacking the teams that deserve smacking and stop bottling it against the RS. Sometimes it's not about having the best players

correct on all points! i for one don't get too pissed off if/when we los to the top teams - i can take that. its the ****e teams we should be beating and them over the park i can't stand losing to! 3 results still stand out for me from last season - qpr, bolton, liverpool at wembley - games we should have won

As far away as ever. In 2009 we did the best of the rest of double and I felt we were never going to better that without major change. The fact is Liverpool, arsenal and Chelsea have all got worse but so have we, difference is Chelsea and arsenal have the resources to get better, we don't. spurs and city have overtaken us. I don't think it will be long before Sunderland and stoke overtake us. We have stood still. To break too 4 we need investment first and foremost without that no chance.

then there is moyes, his record against big clubs is not that great and I don't see that ever changing. The second half against Liverpool will annoy me for the rest of my days. he was scared against a team that Wigan, wba, Fulham are no longer scared off. Until Everton are better against the big teams and see themselves as equals, by which I mean up there on merit with or without money, then once again no chance. Jon champion said we had slayed a premier league giant in spurs, which annoyed me no end, but then realised moyes has created this underdog little plucky Everton routine, so what do you expect the media to follow. However to challenge investment and then a new mentality running right through the club.

The problem for me lies in the fact that although we only need a solid 5-6 players to really really push on, as we buy or acquire these 5-6 players with limited funds, other sides around us can go out and spend big on real quality players and so its becoming increasingly more difficult for us to bridge the gap. We aren't the only club who will strengthen and most will have a bigger budget.

-RB
-RM
-LM(pienaar hopefully)
-LB cover
-2nd striker

Waaaay off

There'll be sales, and the money will bring in other players. We'll lose proven quality and hope that their cheaper replacement hit the ground running. If they do, and if Jelavic continues his form, we'll retain our position (7th/8th) because other clubs who underperformed wont again (Liverpool), and those above us will strengthen significantly.

Top 5/6, never mind CL places, is delusional.

There'll be sales, and the money will bring in other players. We'll lose proven quality and hope that their cheaper replacement hit the ground running. If they do, and if Jelavic continues his form, we'll retain our position (7th/8th) because other clubs who underperformed wont again (Liverpool), and those above us will strengthen significantly.

Top 5/6, never mind CL places, is delusional.

unfortunately on this point i must concur with Dave, we are treading water whilst other finish the iron man.

On the field we're probably 3/4 players off competing with the other sides in the EPL.

Off the field we're millions of pounds away. And this is the problem, the influx of money into the game over the past few years has created a two tier division. Without the money we're going to be unable to break through the ceiling into the upper tier, and if we did through an excellent season, we'd need the money to maintain our position there.

We could do it once, but couldn't do it consistently without investment. This is a huge problem for us and 14 other EPL sides.

We're about this many players away;

RB: Possibly Coleman.
RM: Take your pick
LM: Pienaar permanently
AM: Barkley would be incredible there

Howard
Coleman Heitinga Jagielka Baines
?? Gibson Fellaini Pienaar
Barkley
Jelavic

Secure Pienaar, buy a right winger, and we'll have a great starting XI. Need a couple more versatile players for depth, after that.

We're about this many players away;

RB: Possibly Coleman.
RM: Take your pick
LM: Pienaar permanently
AM: Barkley would be incredible there

Howard
Coleman Heitinga Jagielka Baines
?? Gibson Fellaini Pienaar
Barkley
Jelavic

Secure Pienaar, buy a right winger, and we'll have a great starting XI. Need a couple more versatile players for depth, after that.

if we go down this route expect us to get raped down the right on a regular basis, colemen is no rightback in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.