how close are we to the "best"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do.

WBA didnt beat us, we beat us.

Every single player on the pitch played like a complete clown, they aint all that.

Yeah I'd agree with that, that it was our own fault for losing at West Brom.

I still don't think it's a formality that the top 4 will travel away to West Brom, or anywhere else for that matter, and certainly get 3 points though. None of them are invincible, and they will continue to drop points, just like we have.

We are capable of getting top 4 this season, I believe.

Soz mate, it was cute tho. Goat is full of baloney.

images

Howard has been a good servant to us but he isn't a title-winning 'keeper like Hart, Schmeichel or Cech in his prime. He's not going to keep the opposition out by himself.

We haven't quite resolved our right back issue but even the best teams can afford to have one average player. Coleman could turn out to be as good as Baines though.

If our midfield is going to be Mirallas, Gibson, Fellaini, Osman and Pienaar then we're one player short of being able to go toe to toe with the best. It would be nice to have the luxury of calling Felli up from a more defensive position when we needed him and to have more of a ball-player like Cazorla, Silva or Gerrard to pull the strings behind the striker.

Jelavic has been great for us so far but I don't think he's a goal-scoring machine like Van Persie or Ibrahimovic.

Generally-speaking I'm not sure how many match-winners we have. When they're up against it the Manchester sides can call on the likes of Rooney, Aguero, Yaya and Tevez to pull something special out of the bag.

They have greater strength in depth than us too. For example, they can replace Kagawa and Valencia with Nani and Young.

Their players tend to be more experienced too. How much silverware has our side won as individuals? Off the top of my head I think only Howard, Neville, Gibson, Jelavic and Naismith have any medals to put on the table. Three of those were as peripheral members of the United side and the other two were in the lesser Scottish league.

Consistency could be the difference too. Title-winning sides never give up and grind out results over the course of the year. We usually switch to autopilot for part of the season. Can we maintain our concentration and win games when Fellaini or Pienaar are off colour? And do we have the killer instinct to finish teams off?

Finally, we can be a bit naive. The big guns will have no qualms about time-wasting or simulation, but we're probably a bit too honest. Some clubs might have settled for 2-0 at Swansea too rather than chasing a third and risking letting the opposition back into the game. I think you probably need to try every trick in the book to win titles and I don't think we have it in us to be underhand.

Their players tend to be more experienced too. How much silverware has our side won as individuals? Off the top of my head I think only Howard, Neville, Gibson, Jelavic and Naismith have any medals to put on the table. Three of those were as peripheral members of the United side and the other two were in the lesser Scottish league.

Oviedo won the danish league, Mirallas won the greek league, Fellaini the belgian league and Heitinga and Pienaar both won the dutch league. Plus Distin has won a couple of cups.

We're a team with much more trophy winning experience than people make out.

Finally, we can be a bit naive. The big guns will have no qualms about time-wasting or simulation, but we're probably a bit too honest. Some clubs might have settled for 2-0 at Swansea too rather than chasing a third and risking letting the opposition back into the game. I think you probably need to try every trick in the book to win titles and I don't think we have it in us to be underhand.

Disagree with this tbh. They were down to 10 men and teams above us would've put another few past them.

I do.

WBA didnt beat us, we beat us.

Every single player on the pitch played like a complete clown, they aint all that.

Yeah, but isn't that what it's all about - being able to do it week in week out, avoiding tripping up against the WBAs of the league? We can sometimes match the best in a head to head, but that doesn't make us the best. The best go out and get the points against the mid table teams, by hook or crook, no questions asked. Until we can develop that ruthless efficiency and clinicalness then we cannot be considered contenders because there will always be a number of games where we need to do these smash and grabs.

Oviedo won the danish league, Mirallas won the greek league, Fellaini the belgian league and Heitinga and Pienaar both won the dutch league. Plus Distin has won a couple of cups.

We're a team with much more trophy winning experience than people make out.

Fair play. Still, Oviedo is 22 and Mirallas and Fellaini are 24. Compare them to players like Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Scholes, Rooney who have won Premier Leagues, Champions Leagues and domestic cups more than once and it's a lot of experience to give away.

Disagree with this tbh. They were down to 10 men and teams above us would've put another few past them.

I think teams above us would have picked them off for more goals. We carried on playing in just the same way as we did in the first half and we were very lucky not to concede and let them back in the game. That's the difference.

just remembered this thread i started at end of season and wondered if peoples opinion have since changed?? i felt we were clise then and have seen nothing since to change my mind !!! coyb !!

At least £100m of player investment. Just for squad depth and the world class players in key areas we'd need to consistently win games even when playing badly.

City stuck six into Utd at Old Trafford then did them when it mattered at home for the league and at wembley in the semis, we need something similar against the ****e to be serious and not just a flashier 7th.

Driving them into the ground would be more than just symbolic.

Status
Not open for further replies.