Hopes this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here: hopeful but not expectant. Martinez in the summer was talking about the summer signings as adding to the squad that you go with for the next 10 months. I cant see him moving significantly unless there's a massive shift on a quality player like Yarmolenko. He's not going to tinker with bringing in players to strengthen areas we already have players for, that's for sure.

Aye pretty much agree, other thing that could shift his thinking is someone being sold (stupid high bid for Mirallas or Naimsith etc) Or a long term injury

If by playmaker, you mean a number 10, then there is no point in paying big money for someone who won't even be as good as Barkley. We need a central midfielder with creative qualities, but as Martinez is in love with Barry and McCarthy, there wont be any investment there. So any January signings should focus on left wing and/or a striker.

Aye pretty much agree, other thing that could shift his thinking is someone being sold (stupid high bid for Mirallas or Naimsith etc) Or a long term injury

One thing i do like about Martinez is he is bloody a stubborn soab though, when he sets his mind on a target he goes until he either gets them or it becomes totally impossible, for that reason alone i see us trying for Yarmster in Jan

Defo someone sold would be replaced. I think Martinez goes into denial about injuries though, so I wouldn't see movement in January to counter a loss in that respect.

If by playmaker, you mean a number 10, then there is no point in paying big money for someone who won't even be as good as Barkley. We need a central midfielder with creative qualities, but as Martinez is in love with Barry and McCarthy, there wont be any investment there. So any January signings should focus on left wing and/or a striker.

Think Martinez always inteded the playmaker he went on about to be a wide player - Pienaar replacement as it were, Barkley gives as a creative player centrally and as you said this season at least the centre mids set in stone

Howard
Hibbert
Oviedo
Osman
Pienaar
Kone
Gibson
McGeady

Thats 8 players who could go and only Howard would need replacing. I know people will say we cant shift all of them in one window but surely in Jan and Summer we could move them all on....why keep any?

Butland i was amazed we didnt sign him when he went to Stoke, shocking. Now would cost a fortune i think like £15mil+ as Stoke dont need to sell...would be the perfect signing actually.

Austin for a reduced fee in January and then Yarmolenko in the summer if possible and all boxes ticked.

Howard will surely be MLS bound next summer (I'd go for Pantilimon or Butland)
Playmaker I'm hoping is sorted out in January.
Striker I reckon there'll be no move on until we see what Rodriguez can do.

Howard
Hibbert
Oviedo
Osman

Pienaar
Kone
Gibson

McGeady

Thats 8 players who could go and only Howard would need replacing. I know people will say we cant shift all of them in one window but surely in Jan and Summer we could move them all on....why keep any?

Butland i was amazed we didnt sign him when he went to Stoke, shocking. Now would cost a fortune i think like £15mil+ as Stoke dont need to sell...would be the perfect signing actually.

Austin for a reduced fee in January and then Yarmolenko in the summer if possible and all boxes ticked.

All five of those have a varying chance of staying past the summer i would say, although personally we need to have a decent turnover of the older players to make room for the younger ones who are developing through now

Well, depends on Martinez but i'd say:

Oviedo out for Garbutt
Osman -- already replaced by cleverley
Kone -- Useless
Gibson -- Never plays

Howard is the only one i think and as suggested above, if we could replace with Butland then that would be a masterstroke.

All five of those have a varying chance of staying past the summer i would say, although personally we need to have a decent turnover of the older players to make room for the younger ones who are developing through now

That playmaker is still the one missing for us. But it'd be a player who plays out wide left more than likely, and link sup like Pienaar did. They're not easy to find, but a quality player for that position would cause havoc for defenders already having to contend with Barkley, plus the likes of Del, Lennon and Mirallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.