2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s more basic than that, and that’s what your missing. Football is a simple game, and movement and space wins the majority of games. There are holes everywhere and he’s doesn’t exploit them, drop deep pick it up, and draw a defender out. The space is then exploited. If the defender doesn’t go with you then you have the space, you can double up and have the advantage.

But he doesn’t, he stifles the attack, unless he’s given space by the opponent he won’t be effective. Its been proven over 2 years. And that’s the issue.

Agreed. You only have to look at how Liverpool do it. Firmino drops deep, which draws defenders out and creates space for players running beyond etc.

His reluctance to do this means Gomes or another midfielder won’t be encouraged to run beyond him and the striker to get on to through balls.

Agreed. You only have to look at how Liverpool do it. Firmino drops deep, which draws defenders out and creates space for players running beyond etc.

His reluctance to do this means Gomes or another midfielder won’t be encouraged to run beyond him and the striker to get on to through balls.
There's about 15 other things the RS do to make that system work. But sure, simple.

That’s exactly it, the defender is balls deep in trouble straight away. He goes with and mane or Salah are in the hole. He stays and ladyboy turns and is then facing up to them, and he has the ability to cause issues
M

What do you think they do extra to achieve that? They have players told to run beyond when a player drops out. I learnt that playing in the school team.
The midfield has to know how to move to allow him to drop. They have to have a set up to get the ball forward from defense without having a target to hit ever.

I find it wild that people actually think a game played at the highest level is simple. This goes for practically every sport.

That’s exactly it, the defender is balls deep in trouble straight away. He goes with and mane or Salah are in the hole. He stays and ladyboy turns and is then facing up to them, and he has the ability to cause issues
M

Exactly. He doesn’t whether to stick or go and if he’s a bit of a yard dog, he hasn’t got the pace to get back.

(I was a yard dog centre half, that’s speaking from experience!) :D

The midfield has to know how to move to allow him to drop. They have to have a set up to get the ball forward from defense without having a target to hit ever.

I find it wild that people actually think a game played at the highest level is simple. This goes for practically every sport.

I’ve just said people are told what to do in this situation, but the principle is the same no matter what level.

It’s the practise of drills that perfects it, so I’d like to think professional Premier League teams are a bit better than the teams I was playing for in the Zingari and Business Houses were.

I’ve just said people are told what to do in this situation, but the principle is the same no matter what level.

It’s the practise of drills that perfects it, so I’d like to think professional Premier League teams are a bit better than the teams I was playing for in the Zingari and Business Houses were.
The fundamentals are the same I'll give you that. There's so much going on though that people who aren't at that level don't know about. It's extremely complex.

The fundamentals are the same I'll give you that. There's so much going on though that people who aren't at that level don't know about. It's extremely complex.

Yeah I can imagine there will be other stuff going on about fullbacks pushing in, who sits etc, but it’s way beyond my level of football I played at.

All I know is that if the striker dropped deep to pick up the ball you had to decide whether to risk going with him, and letting a runner from midfield in behind you, or staying and letting him turn with the ball. Great if he’s like Calvert-Lewin, not so if it’s Harry Kane.;)

Yeah I get that. The team seems to stagnant, there was a lack of movement and urgency. Gomes and Schneiderlin were holding each other’s hands, there was 20-30 yards to gylfi. Pienaar and Arteta had brilliant footballing brains and could exploit space, they wanted the ball and weren’t afraid to get it and stamp their authority on a game.
The three on there today are too similar in their pace/attributes. Shame Gbamin is injured we need two of Delph/Iwobi or Davies to come in. Gomes had a knock he still looks to be physically off it. He should be the mainstay but you need legs around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.