2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigurdsson did not play poorly. He had plenty of touches finally because he was sitting deeper. Not surpisingly he had a couple successful dribbles and 2 key passes in the first half. Then we come out in the 2nd half, he makes one fantastic pass to DCL after an equally impressive pass by Mina, and DCL hit it with his heel.

Gomes was horrendous. Didn't make a single defensive play all match, was passed around like he was a pole when he wasn't fouling, gave the ball away, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a pass beyond 20 meters, and contributed almost nothing to the match other than being directly responsible for both goals.
Two key passes: one from a corner (another set piece) that was a full volley from the edge of the box and the other a pass to Richarlison which he ran 40 yards with before shooting from 25 yards. That's more or less nothing. The fantastic pass hit DCL in the heel because it was behind him. Not sure anyone could control that and get a shot away.

Different role, more touches, still ineffective imo.

Sigurdsson did not play poorly. He had plenty of touches finally because he was sitting deeper. Not surpisingly he had a couple successful dribbles and 2 key passes in the first half. Then we come out in the 2nd half, he makes one fantastic pass to DCL after an equally impressive pass by Mina, and DCL hit it with his heel.

Gomes was horrendous. Didn't make a single defensive play all match, was passed around like he was a pole when he wasn't fouling, gave the ball away, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a pass beyond 20 meters, and contributed almost nothing to the match other than being directly responsible for both goals.
Sigurdsson is a number 10. He should be pulling the strings and he didn't and he was pulled first because he is not doing anything of merit. He wasn't the worst player but game number three and he is becoming a luxury player. He may have not played poorly but he isn't dictating anything so far this season. So we are starving for opportunities. It may get worse.

Still recovering from the night of the wedding. Worst player on the pitch today (barring Gomes).
That’s not true. Alongside Gomes you had grade A ineptness from DCL, no end product from Bernard, and no fluidity amongst the whole team

Just invisible today, for me. Got hooked, quite rightly too. Seems to play well when the team do (or perhaps the team play well when Siggy does?) but rarely shines when we’re really up against it. Southampton away a couple of years ago stands out but other than that, not too many I can think of.

Sigurdsson is a number 10. He should be pulling the strings and he didn't and he was pulled first because he is not doing anything of merit. He wasn't the worst player but game number three and he is becoming a luxury player. He may have not played poorly but he isn't dictating anything so far this season. So we are starving for opportunities. It may get worse.

He hides in games, and doesn’t seem to make an angle for a pass when the others have it.

He doesn’t look to get on the ball and make things happen which I think his role is.

Other than the two key passes and helping actually break through the counter press...

...look, that's just lazy analysis. He played in a different position today than he had the last two matches.

He was literally the only one creating anything, so that's not a luxury.

And he doesn't have to dictate anything. That's not a requirement of a 10 or whatever, that's a style that you clearly like. I like the fact that he was successful with most of his passes, dribbled a couple times successfully, and set up a couple good chances to score that others blew.

He hides in games, and doesn’t seem to make an angle for a pass when the others have it.

He doesn’t look to get on the ball and make things happen which I think his role is.
No, that's Gomes role, one he did very poorly at tonight. Gomes had 80+ passes tonight. Do you seriously think that's because Sigurdsson was hiding from the ball? Hardly.

Other than the two key passes and helping actually break through the counter press...

...look, that's just lazy analysis. He played in a different position today than he had the last two matches.

He was literally the only one creating anything, so that's not a luxury.

And he doesn't have to dictate anything. That's not a requirement of a 10 or whatever, that's a style that you clearly like. I like the fact that he was successful with most of his passes, dribbled a couple times successfully, and set up a couple good chances to score that others blew.
By my count we had one good chance while he was actually on the field and he wasn't even involved in any part of creating it. He did some stuff better tonight but he was still not much of a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.