2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the two key passes and helping actually break through the counter press...

...look, that's just lazy analysis. He played in a different position today than he had the last two matches.

He was literally the only one creating anything, so that's not a luxury.

And he doesn't have to dictate anything. That's not a requirement of a 10 or whatever, that's a style that you clearly like. I like the fact that he was successful with most of his passes, dribbled a couple times successfully, and set up a couple good chances to score that others blew.
You have to be kidding. Right!

A terrible start to the season from him. I go back to the point that we are looking for him to make our team tick and he just isn't that player.

The opposition can target and hound him far too easily. He's got great attributes but he should be the supporting act, not the main show.

They disagree with me so they don't understand football. Whatever.

No mate, it’s simple. Big fish small pond. He was the most technically gifted player they’ll ever see, that fact that he hid for large parts of their games is irrelevant to them. He scored the odd goal and put a load of corners on the head of llorente so the stats looked boss and that put his place in their history books, the man who kept Swansea up

People never looked past that, he was awful and would go missing when they needed a leader. A bit like us, someone who when the chips are down puts their foot on the ball and controls the game or at least is available as an option

He does none of that, but he’ll score worldie next week and you’ll be gushing in ye kecks

No mate, it’s simple. Big fish small pond. He was the most technically gifted player they’ll ever see, that fact that he hid for large parts of their games is irrelevant to them. He scored the odd goal and put a load of corners on the head of llorente so the stats looked boss and that put his place in their history books, the man who kept Swansea up

People never looked past that, he was awful and would go missing when they needed a leader. A bit like us, someone who when the chips are down puts their foot on the ball and controls the game or at least is available as an option

He does none of that, but he’ll score worldie next week and you’ll be gushing in ye kecks
I think the first sentence of your second paragraph contradicts the entire first. Which was it the player who created and scored the goals that kept him up or the awful one who went missing in big moments?

Regardless he was good for Swansea. I'm not sure how anyone can say he was awful in either spell at Swansea. That doesn't mean he's good now or he's the guy we need or anything of that nature. It just means at Swansea City he was a good player.

My understanding of him at Swansea was that he played inside left and worked hard for the team. I could get on board with that whilst he is in a blue shirt. I just can't believe we play him in such a crucial position when he is obviously not that the type of player who can control a game.

My understanding of him at Swansea was that he played inside left and worked hard for the team. I could get on board with that whilst he is in a blue shirt. I just can't believe we play him in such a crucial position when he is obviously not that the type of player who can control a game.

Working hard is doing what he does now, and did the same for Swansea, a lot huffing puffing. I’ve never rated him, seen enough at Swansea to know that when he’s on form he’s great but when he doesn’t want to know, or the going gets a bit tough, you’re playing with 10 men.

He’s played 2 seasons with us, and had about 10-15 really good games.

Working hard is doing what he does now, and did the same for Swansea, a lot huffing puffing. I’ve never rated him, seen enough at Swansea to know that when he’s on form he’s great but when he doesn’t want to know, or the going gets a bit tough, you’re playing with 10 men.

He’s played 2 seasons with us, and had about 10-15 really good games.

He fits in well with Richarlison and a few other players in that sense. Sometimes I think my memory must be going, but back in the Moyes years I remember coming away from games thinking Pienaar and Arteta were unplayable today. I never get that feeling about this current squad. You get moments from them but never all round performances.

I think the first sentence of your second paragraph contradicts the entire first. Which was it the player who created and scored the goals that kept him up or the awful one who went missing in big moments?

Regardless he was good for Swansea. I'm not sure how anyone can say he was awful in either spell at Swansea. That doesn't mean he's good now or he's the guy we need or anything of that nature. It just means at Swansea City he was a good player.

I think your first sentence shows your inability to separate a stats from a players ability. Launching a cross in from a corner for someone to score is irrelevant if you’re 3-0 down. It’s exactly the same as Evertonians who believed Ferguson was a legend for us when in fact he was pretty useless

He had a choice between us and Leicester, tells you all you need to know

I think your first sentence shows your inability to separate a stats from a players ability. Launching a cross in from a corner for someone to score is irrelevant if you’re 3-0 down. It’s exactly the same as Evertonians who believed Ferguson was a legend for us when in fact he was pretty useless

He had a choice between us and Leicester, tells you all you need to know
I mean I've had my moments regarding Bernard but this is honestly wild. I don't even want to defend Sigurdsson but you've gone a bit overboard here. Good player, definitely not the player we need in his position right now. As you've pointed out pretty reliant on end product to make an impact. But that's not the worst thing in the world as you seem to think it is. Not every player has to be a guy who gets 75 touches a game and really sprays the ball around. There is room for someone who has an impact entirely in the final third in some teams.

I mean I've had my moments regarding Bernard but this is honestly wild. I don't even want to defend Sigurdsson but you've gone a bit overboard here. Good player, definitely not the player we need in his position right now. As you've pointed out pretty reliant on end product to make an impact. But that's not the worst thing in the world as you seem to think it is. Not every player has to be a guy who gets 75 touches a game and really sprays the ball around. There is room for someone who has an impact entirely in the final third in some teams.

It’s more basic than that, and that’s what your missing. Football is a simple game, and movement and space wins the majority of games. There are holes everywhere and he’s doesn’t exploit them, drop deep pick it up, and draw a defender out. The space is then exploited. If the defender doesn’t go with you then you have the space, you can double up and have the advantage.

But he doesn’t, he stifles the attack, unless he’s given space by the opponent he won’t be effective. Its been proven over 2 years. And that’s the issue.

It’s more basic than that, and that’s what your missing. Football is a simple game, and movement and space wins the majority of games. There are holes everywhere and he’s doesn’t exploit them, drop deep pick it up, and draw a defender out. The space is then exploited. If the defender doesn’t go with you then you have the space, you can double up and have the advantage.

But he doesn’t, he stifles the attack, unless he’s given space by the opponent he won’t be effective. Its been proven over 2 years. And that’s the issue.
Football is not simple enough to be explained in two sentences. Sorry.

He fits in well with Richarlison and a few other players in that sense. Sometimes I think my memory must be going, but back in the Moyes years I remember coming away from games thinking Pienaar and Arteta were unplayable today. I never get that feeling about this current squad. You get moments from them but never all round performances.

Yeah I get that. The team seems to stagnant, there was a lack of movement and urgency. Gomes and Schneiderlin were holding each other’s hands, there was 20-30 yards to gylfi. Pienaar and Arteta had brilliant footballing brains and could exploit space, they wanted the ball and weren’t afraid to get it and stamp their authority on a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.