2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been reading Carlo’s book (must read for all Blues, can’t believe he is our manager).

He talks about transitioning Pirlo from an AM to a DM/deep lying midfielder and it immediately sounded like a comparison to what he is *trying* to do with Gylfi.

No expectation to tackle or to press, just organise and pass etc... now obviously Gylfi couldn’t tie up Pirlo’s boots, but I think Carlo is trying to do something similar.

In saying all of that, and worryingly, if this is the case, then Gylfi is actually doing what is asked which is to simply organise the team and not be defensive.

The problem is he has been terrible when he gets the ball so is a complete liability. I hope that if this has been Carlo‘s tactic that he re-thinks it based on Gylfi’s inability on the ball, not his defensive attitude which is where he is coming in for most of the criticism.

Anyway, I hate Gylfi, but thought it was an interesting comparison/insight into the bosses thinking.

This would work...if said player liked and wanted the ball or have a better passing range.

And then presumably you win because Everton don’t actually have a good striker?

What a weird attitude to have.
That would be assuming that I think Richy and Kean aren't good strikers. Both of whom have better skill and higher potential.

Classic defeatist attitude there to jump to that conclusion.

That would be assuming that I think Richy and Kean aren't good strikers. Both of whom have better skill and higher potential.

Classic defeatist attitude there to jump to that conclusion.
Defeatist attitude from the bloke slating one of our youngsters?

DCL has outscored them put together this season btw.

Defeatist attitude from the bloke slating one of our youngsters?

DCL has outscored them put together this season btw.
Not a youngster anymore now is he? and out scoring a 19 year old, with a quarter of the minutes, in his first season in the league... big achievement that

Not a youngster anymore now is he? and out scoring a 19 year old, with a quarter of the minutes, in his first season in the league... big achievement that
Why do you seemingly want to slate one of our young players who’s been doing really well so much? What do you get out of it?

I swear out loud every time I see this thread bumped.

Please stop. The sooner I can pretend that he never wore the shirt the better.

And then presumably you win because Everton don’t actually have a good striker?

What a weird attitude to have.
Let’s be honest though, next season is the litmus test for Dom. We’ve seen good runs before. Being able to sustain it over time is still there for him to prove. He’s come on in a big way and made me eat crow, but he has to keep going.

Saying his production this season is way over his skill to consistently provide this level of production season in season out is far from wrong. DCL will prove me right next season when he slips behind Kean in the pecking order
I’d say you have limited experience of watching football because DCL has improved almost every aspect of his game this season. He was already a good ‘workhorse’ type striker but he’s added goals to his game, some of which very smart finishes and poachers goals.

I’d say you have limited experience of watching football because DCL has improved almost every aspect of his game this season. He was already a good ‘workhorse’ type striker but he’s added goals to his game, some of which very smart finishes and poachers goals.
Some people just won’t admit they got something wrong like a normal person would. Their next hill to die on will be “he’ll be crap again next season” despite everything pointing to further improvement.

Some people just won’t admit they got something wrong like a normal person would. Their next hill to die on will be “he’ll be crap again next season” despite everything pointing to further improvement.
It's one thing to come from a long term Evertonian but for it to come from a self confessed new fan with little knowledge of the game it's a bit odd to say the least.

I never said he didn’t improve I said that he’s likely to hit a Siggy level decline after his luck runs dry

Status
Not open for further replies.