2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
If DCL didn't offer anything else to the team then I'd never advocate him being in.

Walcott offers nothing else hence he's on the bench - he was brought in at a considerable fee to slot those chances.
I'll take the fact we're ignoring the first bit of my reply as an apology, which I graciously accept.

I agree, he was bought to score those chances and he isn't, i'm not defending him in that sense. I'm just saying it's not coincidence that he gets those chances, and there is a talent involved in getting yourself into those positions. He hasn't been good enough at taking the chances and so has rightly been dropped.

I disagree with you on the difference between his off the ball stuff and DCL's, because obviously teams don't know he's going to miss those chances. He's not incapable of putting them away, as he showed on Sunday, so his ability to get into those positions causes teams a problem because he's clearly a danger to them. It's a very similar argument to the DCL one, that there's more to attacking than just putting the ball in the net, and making full backs scared to push up too far and dragging centre halves out to cover is a similar thing to putting yourself about up front and making unselfish runs to take centre halves away from goal. Ultimately though, we agree, attacking players who don't score a lot need to either improve or be replaced.

Some lovely passes from Gylfi in those clips though.

Status
Not open for further replies.