2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our top scorer
Top scoring midfielder in the league
Covers more ground than most
Yet lads want him sold
He didn’t set his price tag and he can’t do anything about his age
If we get a 20 goal a season striker and Bernard and Ricarlison both score 10+ in a season we may see him sold , but until then he’s going nowhere
They forget too, if you want a 20+ goals a season striker then you need a Siggy in your team to provide the assists, how else are the goals going to be created? :dodgy:

The agenda against him by some is utterly cringeworthy.

It’s not really an agenda, it’s more of a frustration.

I think his biggest detractors would agree he is capable of brilliance. His performance against Utd was outstanding.

The reason fans get frustrated is because he goes missing in a lot of games and seems to struggle to stamp any authority in certain games.

I like him as a player, but I’ve sat through plenty of games at Goodison this season where I’d say he deserves to be picked out as not doing enough to influence the game.

How bloody gash is Walcott btw.
Half agree. There's a reason why he's the one consistently getting on the end of those balls though, his awareness and ability to make the right the right runs in those situations is infinitely better than any of our other attackers. Unfortunately this season his finishing has been woeful, but it's interesting that DCL's ability to run away from goal is currently being used as evidence of his worth to the team while Walcott's ability to run towards it is evidence of his gashness.

Half agree. There's a reason why he's the one consistently getting on the end of those balls though, his awareness and ability to make the right the right runs in those situations is infinitely better than any of our other attackers. Unfortunately this season his finishing has been woeful, but it's interesting that DCL's ability to run away from goal is currently being used as evidence of his worth to the team while Walcott's ability to run towards it is evidence of his gashness.

Don't care how many times you get into good positions if you can't slot whatsoever. Nice to see you bring DCL back into another argument again though.

Walcotts awareness and ability to make the right the right runs in those situations is infinitely better than any of our other attackers.

No, he has pace, but his awareness and lack of ability to make smart runs is part of the reason he comes under such criticism. Absolutely no football intelligence.

Don't care how many times you get into good positions if you can't slot whatsoever. Nice to see you bring DCL back into another argument again though.
'Another argument again?' Is it something I do a lot? I don't think so.

It's relevant though isn't it? People are currently in the DCL thread saying it doesn't matter that he doesn't slot because he causes teams problems. And yet here you are saying that it doesn't matter that Walcott causes teams problems, because he doesn't slot. Personally I think they both do a good job for the team, but could do with scoring more goals. I'm consistent like that you see, looking at the team as a whole, rather than being a fanboy for individual players. I appreciate that not everybody is like that though.

No, he has pace, but his awareness and lack of ability to make smart runs is part of the reason he comes under such criticism. Absolutely no football intelligence.
So all those chances are down to raw pace? Watch the clips mate, virtually none of them are down to him just being quick, they're intelligent runs. He has poor football intelligence on the ball at times, and many other failings, but his off the ball runs are very good, always have been. I don't even think he's that quick anymore, not like he was in his early 20s. I'd be surprised if he's significantly quicker than DCL, Richarlison etc who aren't getting the same amount of chances in those positions.

'Another argument again?' Is it something I do a lot? I don't think so.

It's relevant though isn't it? People are currently in the DCL thread saying it doesn't matter that he doesn't slot because he causes teams problems. And yet here you are saying that it doesn't matter that Walcott causes teams problems, because he doesn't slot. Personally I think they both do a good job for the team, but could do with scoring more goals. I'm consistent like that you see, looking at the team as a whole, rather than being a fanboy for individual players. I appreciate that not everybody is like that though.

If DCL didn't offer anything else to the team then I'd never advocate him being in.

Walcott offers nothing else hence he's on the bench - he was brought in at a considerable fee to slot those chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.