2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why it's so controversial to say that he negatively affects our general play. He can score goals on a good day (usually against a crap team) but if he's off it or goes missing (which happens fairly regularly) then our whole midfield and forward line will stutter to a halt.

I forget who sad it on here but I definitely agree that he was knackered in the winter but is in good form now. He's still our best option and a talented player in the first 11 but if we had a competent striker I'd much rather play a three in midfield and spread out the workload rather than just smash it to Gylfi and hope the magic happens.

Honestly it's like you can't criticise a player at all on here without people thinking it's some kind of personal attack and getting all riled up.

Honestly it's like you can't criticise a player at all on here without people thinking it's some kind of personal attack and getting all riled up.

Think some people go way beyond "criticise" and resort to hyperbole because it's the internet - i get it. And there are some that want to defend him at all costs - because it's the internet. He certainly has his faults and shortcomings but think the negativity surrounding Gylfi with some of the supporters is a bit over the top given his overall production for the club.

I don't see why it's so controversial to say that he negatively affects our general play. He can score goals on a good day (usually against a crap team) but if he's off it or goes missing (which happens fairly regularly) then our whole midfield and forward line will stutter to a halt.

I forget who sad it on here but I definitely agree that he was knackered in the winter but is in good form now. He's still our best option and a talented player in the first 11 but if we had a competent striker I'd much rather play a three in midfield and spread out the workload rather than just smash it to Gylfi and hope the magic happens.

“...negatively affects our general play”? Sorry, I’ve read some tripe on here but that is simply laughable.

“...negatively affects our general play”? Sorry, I’ve read some tripe on here but that is simply laughable.
Yep, he's a talented player but he goes missing (hiding) too often which leads to a limp attack. He can score and pick a pass but we accommodate him too much. Great goal return but three assists for our focal point is disappointing. Esp. considering he takes so many free kicks.

Yeah he's our best option now but I'd rather have a three in midfield in the future.

Yep, he's a talented player but he goes missing (hiding) too often which leads to a limp attack. He can score and pick a pass but we accommodate him too much. Great goal return but three assists for our focal point is disappointing. Esp. considering he takes so many free kicks.

Yeah he's our best option now but I'd rather have a three in midfield in the future.

He's set up about 10 one v ones for Walcott alone this season.

Had Walcott converted half of them then he'd be on 8 assists.

That's just taking one player into account.

I don't disagree he sometimes doesn't offer enough all-round, but then you also have to take into account the role he's deployed in. It isn't as a no.10, it's as a second striker, pushed up alongside the frontman.

Last edited:
He's set up about 10 one v ones for Walcott alone this season.

Had Walcott converted half of them then he'd be on 8 assists.

That's just taking one player into account.
I see your point about our strike force but I think you're exaggerating a bit...

Like I say good player but not a great fit for Silva's system. I personally would like to see the vestiges of the Koeman days gone.

I see your point about our strike force but I think you're exaggerating a bit...

Like I say good player but not a great fit for Silva's system. I personally would like to see the vestiges of the Koeman days gone.
Not really exaggerating the chances. Not all of them were blatant misses, sure, but all of them were 1 v 1s and that's just Walcott - who is the main one because he makes the type of runs that Gylfi can pick out.

He absolutely is a fit for Silva's current system of 4-4-1-1. In fact he's probably the key cog in it because when he plays well we tend to play well.

If Silva switches to 4-3-3, then maybe he doesn't fit, but Silva has hardly played 4-3-3 (a proper 4-3-3) this season. And when he did, v Huddersfield and Wolves, it worked once with Gylfi in there and then didn't work with Gylfi in there - but we were missing Gana on both occasions and didn't have that screener in front of the defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.