2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Says more about US then HIM then really.
Here’s the thing... the gods honest truth is that it’s either Gylfi or Gomes at the club. Their styles of play do not complement each other whatsoever in any system except for maybe a 541 with a narrow diamond midfield.

Gylfi can score goals but Gomes is better at picking out the passes. IMO I’d take Gomes at this point as he’s younger first of all because Gylfi can’t keep this up forever and we have others that can score the goals in the team already (yes I know they need to start performing)

Gomes just needs a deeper lying playmaker and an absolute workhorse with attacking capabilities and he will be fine

Gylfi on the other hand needs 2 stay at home mids which doesn’t fit our play style at all

Barkley had some of the best chances created stats in the entire league when he was here, even when he had Lukaku up front.

It was the same story - only a fraction of them were converted. It's a useless stat as a "chance" is ill-defined.

I wasn't actually talking about a chances created stat as I agree that they are a grey area.

What isn't a grey area though is saying that Walcott should convert when one-v-one or that Bernard should tap into an empty net from six yards out.

The point I was responding to was one saying he needed to get more assist. I put forward eight cases in total where, in at least 5-6 of them, the players on the end of a pass from Gylfi should have scored.

I wasn't actually talking about a chances created stat as I agree that they are a grey area.

What isn't a grey area though is saying that Walcott should convert when one-v-one or that Bernard should tap into an empty net from six yards out.

The point I was responding to was one saying he needed to get more assist. I put forward eight cases in total where, in at least 5-6 of them, the players on the end of a pass from Gylfi should have scored.

Yes but conversely Gylfi will knock a five yard nothing ball, someone will smash it in from 25 yards and he'll be credited with an assist.

It evens out. It's pointless looking at one-off instances, because it ignores the many, many situations where he'll lose the ball, get an easy pass intercepted and so on.

Yes but conversely Gylfi will knock a five yard nothing ball, someone will smash it in from 25 yards and he'll be credited with an assist.

It evens out. It's pointless looking at one-off instances, because it ignores the many, many situations where he'll lose the ball, get an easy pass intercepted and so on.

The stats vs real life debate is a never ending cycle that repeats and repeats ad infinitum. Neither side will back down ever.

I think he stifles our play a little, I think his inclusion means we have to play a system our manager isnt comfortable with, but I do think hes a good player who produces on the pitch.

I think what he contributes is not worth what we lose to the attacking side of our team to accommodate him.

People think I just have a vendetta against him but I don’t, I’ve repeatedly posted in here that I wanted to be wrong about him and wanted him to prove to be that important talisman for us. I also know the fee wasn’t his fault, and I’ve always laid that firmly at the door of Koeman.

What happens if Gylfi misses a few games and we are still crap? Whos the cause for our attacking play breaking down then.. it used to be Lukaku and now Gylfi, both cost alot of money. Strange that

Status
Not open for further replies.