2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but conversely Gylfi will knock a five yard nothing ball, someone will smash it in from 25 yards and he'll be credited with an assist.

It evens out. It's pointless looking at one-off instances, because it ignores the many, many situations where he'll lose the ball, get an easy pass intercepted and so on.

I mean he'd do well because he's the only one who ever seems to do that. Well, and Digne, once. But I get the point.

However, it's not at all pointless when responding to someone saying he should have more assists. I'm sorry, it just isn't. The evidence is there he could have quite a bit more.

I can take he needs to do more in his all round play - he does - and his delivery from set pieces etc needs to be far better and generally he needs to be more consistent. But in this particular instance the poster was suggesting he hasn't created chances and that's wrong. I listed the ones I could think of, off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

What happens if Gylfi misses a few games and we are still crap? Whos the cause for our attacking play breaking down then.. it used to be Lukaku and now Gylfi, both cost alot of money. Strange that

I don't think anyone is saying Sigurdsson is the sole reason we're crap - what I'm contesting at any rate is the excuses being made for him personally being poor. Similar to Lukaku ("at a big club with better players he'd shine" etc. etc.) he has excuses made for him instead of acknowledging the obvious - and that is he wouldn't get anywhere near a top six starting eleven.

Is he a good enough squad player for Everton right now? Well, sure. But that's not exactly praise is it - given we're awful and he cost £45m (and yes, that does matter).

That's my issue with the likes of Sigurdsson and, indeed, Lukaku - it's short sighted to think they're good enough for us challenging 8th-12th in the Premier League. My ambition, whilst not deluded, is still far greater than that.

I don't think anyone is saying Sigurdsson is the sole reason we're crap - what I'm contesting at any rate is the excuses being made for him personally being poor. Similar to Lukaku ("at a big club with better players he'd shine" etc. etc.) he has excuses made for him instead of acknowledging the obvious - and that is he wouldn't get anywhere near a top six starting eleven.

Is he a good enough squad player for Everton right now? Well, sure. But that's not exactly praise is it - given we're awful and he cost £45m (and yes, that does matter).

That's my issue with the likes of Sigurdsson and, indeed, Lukaku - it's short sighted to think they're good enough for us challenging 8th-12th in the Premier League. My ambition, whilst not deluded, is still far greater than that.

If you read this thread long enough a lot of "fans" are convinced the only reason we are crap is because of Siggurdson. If he left our Lionhearts would turn into world beaters according to some of the nutters in here.

I don't think so either, but the point was Lukaku an Fellaini took loads of stick because of their fees. Plenty would say they weren't worth it etc

And they were proven wrong when someone came and paid us more than we did for them.

Not going to happen with Gylfi.

He simply was terribly overpriced and forces us to play a style to get the best out of him which many of us believe is to the overall detriment of the team.

If we spent the same amount of money on a striker two years ago and he provided the same amount of goals as Gylfi has now people wouldn't be impressed and consider him value for money as a striker.

Since he is supposed to be a midfielder it isn't fair to judge him on his goal output alone so then we look at the amount of assists he has and you can't say those are impressive figures for a 45 million midfielder either.

He doesn't bring the best out of other players when he's on form because he's a finisher and not a playmaker. He's not a midfielder but he's not a striker either.

And they were proven wrong when someone came and paid us more than we did for them.

Not going to happen with Gylfi.

He simply was terribly overpriced and forces us to play a style to get the best out of him which many of us believe is to the overall detriment of the team.

If we spent the same amount of money on a striker two years ago and he provided the same amount of goals as Gylfi has now people wouldn't be impressed and consider him value for money as a striker.

Since he is supposed to be a midfielder it isn't fair to judge him on his goal output alone so then we look at the amount of assists he has and you can't say those are impressive figures for a 45 million midfielder either.

He doesn't bring the best out of other players when he's on form because he's a finisher and not a playmaker. He's not a midfielder but he's not a striker either.

Again, not the point.

The most technically gifted footballer we've had in a long time.

He will never live up to his inflated fee, and folks will harp on it forever.

Rom never lived up to his fee either until it was time to sell.

The Moyes era of clinging onto players that outperformed their fees was great when we didn't have any money.

We aren't that club anymore, and we haven't been for a while.

Crushing expectations because money isn't healthy for fans or players.

You'd think in the money swamp that a player like DCL would be defended to the hilt. Nope.

It's all very souring. FYI the players feel the sour...anyone who has played competitive sport in front of an audience knows that the crowd is a massive influence.

To "Rom never lived up to his fee either until it was time to sell."

I simply added, + Fellaini.

Fellaini was slated because of his fee. As was Lukaku. Over scrutinised, watched with a pre-determined agenda.

Evertonians fester, absolutely fester on price tags. Look at your post here. "those are impressive figures for a 45 million midfielder either". Case in point.

Whether proven right or wrong by eventual resale is largely irrelevant.

During their time at Everton, price tags are a massive noose around the neck of players.

What happens if Gylfi misses a few games and we are still crap? Whos the cause for our attacking play breaking down then.. it used to be Lukaku and now Gylfi, both cost alot of money. Strange that

Imagine if Bernard cost £45m?

The difference in attitude towards him would be astonishing.

They'll both be earning a very similar salary - if anything, Bernard will be earning more.

Funny old game, football.

They'll both be earning a very similar salary - if anything, Bernard will be earning more.

Little bit different. Bernard came from the Ukrainian league, hadn’t played since March and has never played in such a hectic winter schedule before whilst also not being able to speak English in his first year living in England.

It's the modern fall back position for most supporters (I include myself) Things aren't going well and the first thought is "we paid how much for him/them? and he/they don't look bothered" At least to our credit we get after the kids who cost nothing or very little too.

Little bit different. Bernard came from the Ukrainian league, hadn’t played since March and has never played in such a hectic winter schedule before whilst also not being able to speak English in his first year living in England.

Such a luxury of patience wasn't afforded to Fellaini. He was 20, signed from Belgian...

It's all price tag, fans fester on it.

Did Fellaini get a ton of flack in his first 6 months? (Genuinely can’t remember)
I remember he'd had Slippery in his pocket in a European game at the pit,so it was expected he'd run the show in every game he played in,the fact it was a new country,new team mates mattered little.

Status
Not open for further replies.