2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve had loads of more technically gifted players recently. Baines for a start was way more in his prime, Bernard from the current squad also. I’d say Barry, Pienaar, Arteta and Saha were more technically gifted too. Agree with everything else you posted.

Humbly disagree. Not taking anything away from those players either.

He has set up about 6 or 7 gilt-edged chances that other players have missed.

Off the top of my head...

Walcott v Southampton
Walcott v Arsenal
Walcott v Palace
Bernard v Man Utd
Bernard v Chelsea (six yards out he missed from)
Richarlison v Liverpool

That's not including the two below that weren't sitters but Walcott should have done better from

Walcott v Chelsea
Walcott v Liverpool

That's also not including the countless times Zouma or Keane have headed over from six yards out from a corner or free-kick.

He should be doing better than he is all round at the moment, because in the last few weeks he has under performed, but he can't put away the chances he creates for others.

This so much. Especially Keane & Zouma. His free kicks for shooting are not great but his free kicks when he puts them in the box always look dangerous but no one gets on the end. He should be in double figures for assists.

He has set up about 6 or 7 gilt-edged chances that other players have missed.

Off the top of my head...

Walcott v Southampton
Walcott v Arsenal
Walcott v Palace
Bernard v Man Utd
Bernard v Chelsea (six yards out he missed from)
Richarlison v Liverpool

That's not including the two below that weren't sitters but Walcott should have done better from

Walcott v Chelsea
Walcott v Liverpool

That's also not including the countless times Zouma or Keane have headed over from six yards out from a corner or free-kick.

He should be doing better than he is all round at the moment, because in the last few weeks he has under performed, but he can't put away the chances he creates for others.

every single team in the league will have a list similar to this..

it doesn't mean anything.

The same arguments were had when we had Cahill and a portion of the supporters wanted someone with more technical ability to help the team play better overall and so that we wouldn't be so limited in how we are able to play the game.

Just like with Cahill, playing him means the team has to be set up to get the best out of him and some supporters question whether we could play better without having to build the team around one player who gets about 10 goals a season and doesn't contribute much else.

Just because he scores goals doesn't mean that the team would not be better off with a different type of player who can offer better quality on the ball.

When he doesn't score he usually plays crap and is completely Ineffective.

3 assists for a #10 at this stage is shocking. It's supposed to be a creative position and before anyone bangs on about Created Chances stats there's no way I'm having them. They must be counting very generously.

every single team in the league will have a list similar to this..

it doesn't mean anything.

But you can't say 'Gylfi doesn't have enough assists' as a stick to beat him with when from that list the evidence is there he should have at least 10.

I'm not disputing he can do more in the all-round game, but he does create chances. He can't put them away for other people.

No player scores every single checks they get.

Obviously.

But you can't tell me that you wouldn't expect the players in the six chances I listed above (which would have Gylfi on 9 assists) wouldn't have been expected to score.

Three of them were all one v ones, or in Bernard's case two open goals.

The Richarlison one, probably I'm been harsh. He fell over as he was about to get his shot off. But it was one of the best passes any of our players have played all season. Took five defenders - including the best CB in der werld lad - out of the game.

I didn't include the Walcott ones v Chelsea and Liverpool in that top list because they were difficult, but still presentable, opportunities.

Obviously.

But you can't tell me that you wouldn't expect the players in the six chances I listed above (which would have Gylfi on 9 assists) wouldn't have been expected to score.

Three of them were all one v ones, or in Bernard's case two open goals.

The Richarlison one, probably I'm been harsh. He fell over as he was about to get his shot off. But it was one of the best passes any of our players have played all season. Took five defenders - including the best CB in der werld lad - out of the game.

I didn't include the Walcott ones v Chelsea and Liverpool in that top list because they were difficult, but still presentable, opportunities.

Barkley had some of the best chances created stats in the entire league when he was here, even when he had Lukaku up front.

It was the same story - only a fraction of them were converted. It's a useless stat as a "chance" is ill-defined.

Barkley had some of the best chances created stats in the entire league when he was here, even when he had Lukaku up front.

It was the same story - only a fraction of them were converted. It's a useless stat as a "chance" is ill-defined.

The only stat that matters is goals scored, the stat he leads the whole team in.

Status
Not open for further replies.