Guardian examination of club finances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I do....

Please reflect upon the most beautiful and satisfying experience you've had in life, hold that carefully in your mind, and draw it on A4 paper represented in the form of a marsupial animal, then post the scanned image on here.
93319-004-78B92D73.jpg

List me all of Ferguson's honors and all of his failings, and tell me what you think of him and his footballing acumen. If you can wholly discount him based on the appointment of Moyes as his successor, please do. Otherwise, show me how Ferguson, who although he is not singularly responsible, had a large part to play in turning a decent Manchester football club into (one of) the biggest sports clubs in all the world, doesn't have a hair more knowledge than you about what makes a well run football club.

You are fully free to disagree, and my comments were probably unfair, but throwing an ad hominem against Ferguson for hiring Moyes lacks legs, and probably more than that.

But that right there shows that you completely misunderstand the entire argument. Ferguson is a legend in the world of football, and his ability to run a football team is unquestionable. We're not talking about a football team here though, we're talking about a business.

But that right there shows that you completely misunderstand the entire argument. Ferguson is a legend in the world of football, and his ability to run a football team is unquestionable. We're not talking about a football team here though, we're talking about a business.

Not sure at all how to respond to this, but to start the initial argument was that Everton "are a very well run club," to which I believe the response was, "pardon me for not trusting his opinion on Everton Football Club."

It's not clear to me which part of Ferguson's legacy we should be discussing, but as a club United have done well on and off the pitch because of his tenure (as I previously suggested). Last I checked, United was in a very short list of the most valuable sports teams in the world. With a valuation just short of USD $3 BN, they seem to have done very well being managed so long by someone without a shred of business sense, if I am to understand your argument. We should be so lucky to have Everton run by someone so foolish.

s
A lack of business nous. Absolutely no pressure from the fanbase.

You can continue to talk about how Kenwright is awful, but you present no alternative other than, "sell to the first bidder". Which, let's be honest will not happen, so why waste our time?

I am presenting a positive approach here. Being proactive will be far more successful than however many years of moaning that have clearly gotten us nowhere in regards to being bought, or the club's profile being raised. So let's change this approach.

Ignore Bill, let's make this happen.

Bill has plenty of nous when dealing with his core business in the entertainment industry, but whether he has or could transfer this skill into the business of running a Premier League football club is certainly open to question. I've droned on at great length on here and a previous forum many times about Bill trying to operate Everton in the same way that he operates in the theatre...by selling 'the dream' to potential backers. He initially sold the dream of the KD to Gregg, and Gregg bought into it because Bill had been the major influence on Greggs successful theatre business. He sold the dream of DK to Earl because Bills mate Phil Green( allegedly a major backer of Bills shows) recommended Earl. I assume that Bill also sells the dream to others (Moyes, Martinez ? Possibly) Problem is that the money floating around at the very top in the Prem has escalated dramatically since Bill became leading shareholder. Despite this, and while being unable to compete financially , in reality, with Chelsea, Man U, Man City and a few others, we have come very close, in fact have succeeded in compeing closely with these clubs on the field. Our only problem is that we don't have the money. Stating the beleedin' obvious I know, but thats the problem, and solving it is the only issue.

s

Bill has plenty of nous when dealing with his core business in the entertainment industry, but whether he has or could transfer this skill into the business of running a Premier League football club is certainly open to question. I've droned on at great length on here and a previous forum many times about Bill trying to operate Everton in the same way that he operates in the theatre...by selling 'the dream' to potential backers. He initially sold the dream of the KD to Gregg, and Gregg bought into it because Bill had been the major influence on Greggs successful theatre business. He sold the dream of DK to Earl because Bills mate Phil Green( allegedly a major backer of Bills shows) recommended Earl. I assume that Bill also sells the dream to others (Moyes, Martinez ? Possibly) Problem is that the money floating around at the very top in the Prem has escalated dramatically since Bill became leading shareholder. Despite this, and while being unable to compete financially , in reality, with Chelsea, Man U, Man City and a few others, we have come very close, in fact have succeeded in compeing closely with these clubs on the field. Our only problem is that we don't have the money. Stating the beleedin' obvious I know, but thats the problem, and solving it is the only issue.
Atlético de Madrid have proved something this season when it comes to battling the mega-rich. Bobby believes too, so maybe it can be done.

Atlético de Madrid have proved something this season when it comes to battling the mega-rich. Bobby believes too, so maybe it can be done.

I agree with this...we are already the best at battling the mega rich in the Prem, and the new manager is setting our sights even higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.