Guardian examination of club finances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that will happen, but I do think we'll spend more than usual .I think prices may also be higher because everyone knows the Prem clubs have got this new money I think we'll recoup something from a couple of player sales, not much, but just basically get a couple off the wage bill, and Roberto will spend as he wishes.

I don't think so either mate, it's more the dream rather than the reality, anything less than a 30m outlay IMO is cutting Martinez's feet from under him though by the board, and showing no backbone to back the manager with substantial funding - and the excuse of no money after last summer and the current revenue boosts just won't wash again if a repeat happens, anything less than the backing moyes got the season after rooney left scaled up is piss poor honestly

I don't think so either mate, it's more the dream rather than the reality, anything less than a 30m outlay IMO is cutting Martinez's feet from under him though by the board, and showing no backbone to back the manager with substantial funding - and the excuse of no money after last summer and the current revenue boosts just won't wash again if a repeat happens, anything less than the backing moyes got the season after rooney left scaled up is piss poor honestly

You say £30 million outlay, as if you know thats what Martinez wants. Appreciate its your opinion, and I actually agree that spending £30 million would improve the playing staff given Robertos experience in the market. I can actually see us spending a lot more than usual in transfer fees, maybe £30 million, but expect this to be tempered by us collecting some money for outgoing players, in transfer fees and wages savings. I have never really got the way people use 'net spend' as a yardstick. Surely the most business like and sensible way is to get, for example £30 million worth of players in, but not have to lay out £30 million. I think the transfer window lasr summer was excellent, but many on here don't see this because we didn't actually unload loads of money. Its the quality on the field and the way they play that counts, not what it cost. You may quote Man City...spending money and winning the title, probably, but they've still had to play the games, be managed/coached well, and have team spirit. THey are the essential forces behind any winning team, not what it cost. Just my opinion , of course.

Won't happen though mate, their committed to moving - however many years that takes they won't put money into Goodison now regardless

So does that mean the directors of this football club are neglecting the business as GP will fall into disrepair?

I am sure there are company laws against that.

You say £30 million outlay, as if you know thats what Martinez wants. Appreciate its your opinion, and I actually agree that spending £30 million would improve the playing staff given Robertos experience in the market. I can actually see us spending a lot more than usual in transfer fees, maybe £30 million, but expect this to be tempered by us collecting some money for outgoing players, in transfer fees and wages savings. I have never really got the way people use 'net spend' as a yardstick. Surely the most business like and sensible way is to get, for example £30 million worth of players in, but not have to lay out £30 million. I think the transfer window lasr summer was excellent, but many on here don't see this because we didn't actually unload loads of money. Its the quality on the field and the way they play that counts, not what it cost. You may quote Man City...spending money and winning the title, probably, but they've still had to play the games, be managed/coached well, and have team spirit. THey are the essential forces behind any winning team, not what it cost. Just my opinion , of course.

Mate i say 30m because and its a harsh reality, we have several areas of the team that are not up to par atm, loans are a great fix but they are only a short term fix, each year requires impeccable dealing to maintain the standard of the prior, and in some seasons you will have a situation where the quality of players available on loan is reduced, so whilst spending money isn't the be and end all i agree, as Martinez says strengthening the squad every year is his goal, but i also believe a caveat to that should be - that each season the goal should be 1st that the permanent squad is strengthened, the loans are in many ways the factor that can give us a surprise bump if they are handled well, the permanent squad is the constant

Net spend is important mate, as a yardstick because it shows the investment into the team, when the goal is set high then allowing a manager a bit of wedge each year oin top of what he sells should be the mi9nimum for a premiership club as well, as I've illustrated in a few other threads, through all the summer/jan dealings - their was a surplus of roughly 22-30m depending on if you factor in Kone and Robles as being from prior money left unspent (debatable), this factors all such things as reduction in wages, transfers in and out etc

Not sure who you think may leave in the summer as far as outgoings are concerned that will raise money though, as any central member of the squad sold should push any transfer budget up well beyond the 30m mark, otherwise it is a case of same old same old with the Board, only this time whilst the club makes a profit and is in receipt of the largest ever increase in funding through television deals

So does that mean the directors of this football club are neglecting the business as GP will fall into disrepair?

I am sure there are company laws against that.

Nah theirs a difference between ensuring essential maintenance is still done, and launching a project to expand the stadium by 6k+ by a second tier on the parkend being added mate, the first will be done as it has to by law, the second is a commercial choice which will not happen for a variety of facotrs most of which actually make sense

Stadium development and such is not as much about the increase in bums on seats - which is actually a small part of a clubs income these days, its about the commercial aspect and corporate side oh and getting rid of restricted bloody views as well

How is our gate receipts so low, £17m for a 40,000 stadium.

Yet Spurs who have a 35000 stadium is nearly double @ £33m

Bill is back pocketing this me tinks

madea-with-calculator-o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.