Goodison in the 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Park End ground ticket early 80s, you would go in either side of the divide depending on how many the away side had brought with them. Had to go in the St End for Utd, City and the RS.
That sound right mate.
I had a season ticket but it was puzzling me how , I watched from different parts of the ground .

Wouldn't have ever thought the 'blue wall' (first time i've ever heard that) was a cool thing. Would have much rather had the double decker stand as below but by the time I started going it was bricked up. Safety reasons. Total shame they didn't build a proper double decker in 94. #lacked ambition

View attachment 83505
I just used it as a descriptive term. It just reminds me of the glory days and made the Park End seem more intimate than it is now. In reality, it was a bit rubbish, wasn't it? lol

That's a great photo, although those semi-circles behind the goals were also a bit rubbish.

I just used it as a descriptive term. It just reminds me of the glory days and made the Park End seem more intimate than it is now. In reality, it was a bit rubbish, wasn't it? lol

That's a great photo, although those semi-circles behind the goals were also a bit rubbish.

I agree. It certainly took away a lot of the intimidation.

Regarding police all over the country, from the 79-80 season I hardly missed a Spurs away game for about 6 years and all of our group at that time agreed that the police in your city were by far the worst/biggest bar stewards.
Those long sticks, ouch.

Remover them,adds for wrestling at the stadium wasn't it ?
The same fella who helped to carry the advertising board around the ground was also the fella who put the half time scores up, Joey Barrett who lived around Gerard Gardens, he didn’t half get some stick when he put the half time score up for the 10-4 Spurs game, it was 6-1 half time, loads were telling him to go back and correct the score, Joey had a hard time convincing them it was the correct score and even a harder time telling them the score wasn’t his fault!!!

Regarding police all over the country, from the 79-80 season I hardly missed a Spurs away game for about 6 years and all of our group at that time agreed that the police in your city were by far the worst/biggest bar stewards.
Those long sticks, ouch.
They certainly knew how to keep the groups apart and if you tried anything and they were around they were not averse to give you a beating. As for spurs went most of the 70s and early 80s. The last time in the 80s was 85 when we basically won the league. The long walk back to seven sisters was always an adventure. Police didn't have a clue. Yr lot would cross over now and again to say hi, the police would just Shu you away m. Then we would do the same. Would have been arrested just for looking at each other up here.

That bayen Munich game was rammed I remember I had to go right to the front of the st end because there was no room to move all the years been going never saw the st end like that .we were talking by me at the time will they say 28000 like they always said haha

They certainly knew how to keep the groups apart and if you tried anything and they were around they were not averse to give you a beating. As for spurs went most of the 70s and early 80s. The last time in the 80s was 85 when we basically won the league. The long walk back to seven sisters was always an adventure. Police didn't have a clue. Yr lot would cross over now and again to say hi, the police would just Shu you away m. Then we would do the same. Would have been arrested just for looking at each other up here.

Yeah that night at WHL, you were much the better team but all these years later I still remember Southall making a brilliant save.
After that 2-1 defeat it felt like we pretty much gave up on the season and I think we ended up coming 3rd by a point or goal difference to your neighbours?

Status
Not open for further replies.