Goats squad analysis thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
No free passes from me unless he can stop us defending like a pub team. Some of the things we arent doing are absolute basics and even the 'dice with relegation' years werent as bad defensively. I think the strikers are having a mare because they know they will have to score at least 3 times to win a game and the pressure is getting to them. Sort it out Silva - this is where you earn your corn and reputation. Organise that shower - find a way, change formation, do extra training drills or whatever, but stop us conceding such terrible goals. Show us why you are so highly rated...

I know you arent just talking about today, but their first goal was very good, their 2nd goal was offside and the players did basic errors going forward.

Yes the manager takes the blame for defeats, but for the 2nd week on the run im looking at the players making these basic schoolboy errors, I cant blame the manager for this personally.

We have two players of the required quality and he has bought both of them. We’re an absolute mile away quality wise from the squad Moyes left and the initial additions Martinez made. Prime Baines Coleman, Lukaku Barkley Stones Barry Fellaini Osman Pienaar are a world away from the dross we have in the squad now.

Richarlison and Digne and that’s it at the moment. There’s a few like Pickford Walcott who when in top form can get to that level. Mina Gomes Bernard and I known quantity. The rest just aren’t good enough no matter how much we might like individual players or want to see them do well. Siggurdson has some good points but he’s not good enough. DCL and Kenny are great lads but they’re not good enough. Gueye is value for money and better in holding mid but isn’t good enough. Tosun can finish but isn’t good enough. We need to stop making excuses for so many members of the squad. They’ve shown it season after season manager after manager, they’re just not good enough at football. End of.

I know you arent just talking about today, but their first goal was very good, their 2nd goal was offside and the players did basic errors going forward.

Yes the manager takes the blame for defeats, but for the 2nd week on the run im looking at the players making these basic schoolboy errors, I cant blame the manager for this personally.

First goal was a good strike, however the time he had on the edge of the box was not on.

I know the second qas offside, bur that was more down to the way Arsenal nearly blew a 3 on 1 chance. West ham also got in too easily last week.

We are a counter attacking teams dream at the moment. God help us against the Sh*te playing like this..

We have two players of the required quality and he has bought both of them. We’re an absolute mile away quality wise from the squad Moyes left and the initial additions Martinez made. Prime Baines Coleman, Lukaku Barkley Stones Barry Fellaini Osman Pienaar are a world away from the dross we have in the squad now.

Richarlison and Digne and that’s it at the moment. There’s a few like Pickford Walcott who when in top form can get to that level. Mina Gomes Bernard and I known quantity. The rest just aren’t good enough no matter how much we might like individual players or want to see them do well. Siggurdson has some good points but he’s not good enough. DCL and Kenny are great lads but they’re not good enough. Gueye is value for money and better in holding mid but isn’t good enough. Tosun can finish but isn’t good enough. We need to stop making excuses for so many members of the squad. They’ve shown it season after season manager after manager, they’re just not good enough at football. End of.
Let's put it this way: if you hired a skip out youd fill it and then need it delivered back for a second go.

I am aware. That is definitely enogh time to instill the basics of defending to a group of international class defenders

Who are they? Digne was an international but can’t make the team now. Holgate isn’t, Keane has a couple of caps in friendlies but is nowhere near a poor England defence, Zouma isn’t an international, Kenny isn’t. Jagielka hasn’t been for years.

So it’s only Coleman who is one by virtue of playing for an extremely poor international team, and Mina who hasn’t played for us yet. Silva hardly has tools to work with.

I am aware. That is definitely enough time to instill the basics of defending to a group of international class defenders

It's not Marco Silva's job to instill the basics of defending into defenders though. They should already know the basics if they've gotten as far as international football ffs.

Who are they? Digne was an international but can’t make the team now. Holgate isn’t, Keane has a couple of caps in friendlies but is nowhere near a poor England defence, Zouma isn’t an international, Kenny isn’t. Jagielka hasn’t been for years.

So it’s only Coleman who is one by virtue of playing for an extremely poor international team, and Mina who hasn’t played for us yet. Silva hardly has tools to work with.

Pickford is Englands number one. Digne has lost his France place by virtue of not playing at Barca, Coleman is a international captain, Holgate is an under 21 international, Zouma is a full France international and has been capped at every level. Keane is also an international. Stop making excuses.

Um, yes it is. That is exactly one of the things he is paid to do.

What's our definition of basics here then? Not losing concentration, knowing when to get tight and when to stand off? OK, let me rephrase, the lads SHOULD know this stuff, they shouldn't need Silva to tell them.

All of the above. The very definition of coaching is to help people develop skills they already possess through observing performance and giving feedback. He is not even bringing out the basics that you mention (and many others - positional sense being a key one at then moment) and this is the most worrying thing for me.

He is capable of coaching certain people really well - Richarlison for example, but I need to see more from him and his coaching staff with the rest of the squad at this moment in time.

My biggest concern is that we have bad rhe easiest fixture list on paper that I can remember for a while (due after last seasons shocker!) and we have one win.

We have most of the big boys still to come. Things need to click soon....

Pickford
??? -- Mina -- Zouma -- Digne
Gana
Gomes -- Sigurdsson
??? -- Richarlison -- Bernard

Virginia
Coleman/Kenny - Keane -- Holgate -- ???
???
Davies -- Vlasic
??? -- ???/DCL -- Lookman​
Needed
Sign Zouma and Gomes
Right back
Left back
Defensive Midfielder
2 RIght forwards
Centre forward

8 players needed to 'finish' the squad.

If we got 2 in Jan + Signed Gomes + Zouma then we'd only be 4 signings away from a really super squad.

Pickford
Gana
Gomes -- Sigurdsson

Virginia
???
Davies -- Vlasic
Needed
Sign Zouma and Gomes
Right back
Left back
Defensive Midfielder
2 RIght forwards
Centre forward

If we got 2 in Jan + Signed Gomes + Zouma then we'd only be 4 signings away from a really super squad.

Surely the PSV right winger?

Pickford
Gana
Gomes -- Sigurdsson

Virginia
???
Davies -- Vlasic
Needed
Sign Zouma and Gomes
Right back
Left back
Defensive Midfielder
2 RIght forwards
Centre forward

That 2nd 11 would get relegated, not a single player, bar Coleman, with any quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.