Goats squad analysis thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the 3 at the back causes issues fitting our best players in, however I expect he will use it to start with as you can't just drop Mina and Zouma in and expect it to work as a unit straight from the off, likewise you don't want to have Jags and Keane starting as a 2 who should know what the system is but are liabilities. So the compromise might be to play 3 and that gives a bit more protection until they are fully up to speed. This also allows Silva to introduce Bernard/Gomes as impact subs while they too build up getting used to their new teammates and the league in general.

God knows what he will do for Sat though as I doubt Mina/Zouma will even have a training session with the team to consider them so we could be looking at a Jags, Keane and Holgate back 3 for Wolves. :(

I’m not confident about Wolves away and to some extent the next few games. It’ll take time for everyone to ease in.

Super happy with all the options Silva has available to him and the creativity he has will no doubt see some crazy formations this season.

If I go back to our ideal of a first XI, a backup for each position and one other for all four positions to give us a nice 26, a mixture of what I believe and what the managers believe will see

First XI
Pickford
Coleman Mina Zouma Digne
Bernard Gueye Sigurdsson
Walcott Tosun Richarlison​

Second XI
Stekelenberg
Kenny Holgate Keane Baines
Gomes Schneiderlin
Lookman Dowell Bolasie
Niasse​

And then the extra four:
Virginia, Jagielka, McCarthy, Sandro

So that leaves Pennington, Martina, Besic, Davies, Beningime, Vlasic and DCL all surplus to requirements so to speak.

I think DCL needs a loan anyway as he won't figure as much, hence putting Sandro ahead as he can also fill in as a wide attacker. Davies could arguably stay in the squad due to Mccarthy and gomes' injuries. Baningime and vlasic could do with a loan and the others can be sold imo.

Obviously this could change with a couple of sales in the next couple of days, but that's a bulky but exciting squad. A lot would need to be retained if we get back to Europe next season hence loans being good options.

If I go back to our ideal of a first XI, a backup for each position and one other for all four positions to give us a nice 26, a mixture of what I believe and what the managers believe will see

First XI
Pickford
Coleman Mina Zouma Digne
Bernard Gueye Sigurdsson
Walcott Tosun Richarlison​

Second XI
Stekelenberg
Kenny Holgate Keane Baines
Gomes Schneiderlin
Lookman Dowell Bolasie
Niasse​

And then the extra four:
Virginia, Jagielka, McCarthy, Sandro

So that leaves Pennington, Martina, Besic, Davies, Beningime, Vlasic and DCL all surplus to requirements so to speak.

I think DCL needs a loan anyway as he won't figure as much, hence putting Sandro ahead as he can also fill in as a wide attacker. Davies could arguably stay in the squad due to Mccarthy and gomes' injuries. Baningime and vlasic could do with a loan and the others can be sold imo.

Obviously this could change with a couple of sales in the next couple of days, but that's a bulky but exciting squad. A lot would need to be retained if we get back to Europe next season hence loans being good options.

Also, looking at that second XI, with the exception of Holgate, they're all full internationals or have won a youth World Cup for their country.

That's strength in depth.

The squad is way too big.
The point of Silva and brands was to streamline the squad and slash the wage bill.

They have increased both.

Pickford, holgate, baines, keane, jags, gomes, siggurdson, walcott, digne, mina, tosun, McCarthy, gueye, Schneiderlin, niasse, Bernard, sketelenberg, Coleman, Davies, DCL, richarlison, zouma.

Bolasie, Sandro, Martina, besic, vlasic have to be shipped out on loan

Lookman to be sold.

That's still too many players in the squad with no European football.

The point of Silva and brands was to streamline the squad and slash the wage bill.

Pickford, holgate, baines, keane, jags, gomes, siggurdson, walcott, digne, mina, tosun, McCarthy, gueye, Schneiderlin, niasse, Bernard, sketelenberg, Coleman, Davies, DCL, richarlison, zouma.

Lookman to be sold.

I mean the team is far better and we actually have decent strength in depth but ok mate x

Lookman to be sold.

Well we havent increased the squad size.

It was 39 players at the end of the season, its currently nearer to 29 atm, once a few players leave, but I agree its still way bigger than we would like, im hopeful we can move a few more on before the end of the month.

Ok I wanted to take a quick look at the actual people we have to name in the squad and the amount of HG players we currently have.

First the rules.
After the closing of the summer transfer window each Premier League club had until 4pm BST on 1 September to submit a squad list containing no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the "Home Grown Player" (HGP) criteria.
The rest of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be Home Grown.
An HGP means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).
Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a transfer window.
Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.

The following players are classed as HG :

Pickford, Baines, Keane, Jags, Holgate*, Bolasie*, Morgan*, McCarthy, Iceland, Kenny*, Walcott, DCL*

* The Premier League website lists Bolaise and Morgan as HomeGrown, im honestly not convinced they are, Holgate, Kenny and DCL are 21, to be honest im not 100% certain on the rules, so maybe they are, maybe they arent!

So I make it 12 HG players, there is also Galloway, Pennington and Browning who are still at the club and would have to be named in the squad if they were to be used, all 3 are HG and over 21.

We currently have Virginia, Davies, Beni, Lookman and Dowell who are U21 so dont have to be named in the squad.

That leaves us with 12 "foreign" players and at least 12 HG players, plus 5 players U21.

TL: DR
We will have no issues meeting the rules concerning HG players and should be able to name a full 25 man squad, provided we have 25 players at the end of the month.

How many full internationals do we have at our club now? We let three go in Rooney, Klaassen and mori but I think we must have nearly 30?

Pickford
stek
Coleman
Martina
mina
Zouma
Jagielka
Keane
Williams
Digne
Baines
Robinson