Goalkeeper issues and who solves them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These days a huge part of a GK’s game is with the feet, keeping the ball moving, switching from left to right.

Olsen’s distribution often leaves a lot to be desired, whereas Pickford’s long passes regularly start attacks.

But, from a defensive point of view, as a CB are you happier with Olsen or Pickford behind you? Right now, you’d have to say the Swede.

Our defenders keep playing the ball to his left hand side, he is right footed. Only natural I suppose as you get used to passing it a certain way but they need to cotton on to the fact sooner or later.

Pickfords long passes more often than not go out of play or go back to the oppositions keeper. It's pure luck anyway hitting a ball that far.

As a former amateur goalie at mickey mouse level, I like to delude myself that I have some insight into the goalkeeping mindset. Ahem.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my take is that a bit of competition is necessary to ruffle a few feathers but that this competition should only go on for a short period during which the acknowledged number one emerges. By the summer, at the latest, Carlo will need to make his mind up and stick with it. Goalkeepers are not like Mason Holgate or Ben Godfrey. They can't be pushed out of one position and compensated by being put into another. They are men apart, the odd men out. They need trust. Either they earn it - and you then stick with them through thick and thin (because every goalkeeper who ever played blunders now and then) - or you replace them permanently. I think Pickford will eventually emerge as our acknowledged and established number one - or he will start a slow descent down the league taking in places like West Ham, Crystal Palace, and Derby.

One thing is already clear. Olsen had his chance and blew it spectacularly. He will get less leeway for two reasons: 1, he is an acknowledged number two as his experience at Roma proved, and 2, he cost buttons. The only question in my mind is whether Pickford has the gumption to mature quickly enough to accept the open goal presented to him yesterday.

As a goal keeper, you`re either the hero or the villain, no middle ground.

It`s still too early to be writing off Olsen, let`s see how reacts against Spurs ?

Should have gone for Martinez in the summer massive missed opportunity that one or even Romero as Utd would have likely sold him prior to the season starting before they realised we were looking like rivals for Europe.

Would punt Olsen back to Roma end of the season and pick up Donnarumma or Romero on a free.

I have always been skeptical of Olsen, but that may be because I am Scandinavian and have seen him in more matches than many others on the forum here.

The third goal for MU is a bit typical Olsen. A GK task is always to be in balance, ie to have a good center of gravity. This is a problem that Olsen has had throughout his career, and he has therefore had too many of these situations throughout his career.

He slips because he is not in balance, and it is a technical error of the goalkeeper.

Olsen is not the solution.

Should have gone for Martinez in the summer massive missed opportunity that one or even Romero as Utd would have likely sold him prior to the season starting before they realised we were looking like rivals for Europe.

Would punt Olsen back to Roma end of the season and pick up Donnarumma or Romero on a free.
Even Martinez made a howler midweek.

We need to see more of Olsen. Tbh Pickford was having a decent error free spell until Leicester.

Really don't know what the fuss is about the goals conceded last night.

First goal - Cavani got away from his marker, had a free header from close range. Bad defensive marking. Although I think anything in the air in the 6-yard box should be the GK's to take.

Second goal - quite simply a super strike that the best keeper in the world, of any era, would have no chance of reaching. Defenders stood off.

Third goal - his foot slipped on the turf at the vital moment, that was plain to see.

Other than that, he did well.
Even though Olsen should have done better, in my view, with all three of the goals, I think we've all been very quick to absolve the defending - which was utterly abysmal. Davies was pathetically far off Fernandes, who made him do a little dance, for his "wonder goal", and how McTominay beat about three men for the third I'll never know. Basically, the team did not protect Olsen last night in any way, shape, or form.

De Gea was also made to look pretty poor by his own team-mates, who exposed him to oncoming traffic more than once.

Last night saw two teams who didn't do the basics properly. The goalkeepers, who admittedly played no better than their team mates, will always look suspect in such situations. But the only winner from this was Jordan Pickford. Olsen went from hero to something of a villain last night, although, to be fair, it's more a case of him going from superhuman to human in the space of three days. Pickford is nothing like as poor as some paint him, and Olsen is nothing like as good as some felt after his display against Leeds, where he had a moment all goalkeeper's love: multiple reaction saves in one passage of play. Pickford, it seems to me, could just as easily have made those saves on Wednesday and those slips last night. One cost 30 million and the other buttons - and it is that reality that will, eventually, decide the current battle in Pickford's favour.

I'm sorry but if you think Donnarumma is coming here you are totally deluded

Depends what the owners offer him money wise / back hander to Raoila.

Have to remember not many clubs in Europe have cash on the hip at the moment with the pandemic - Inter in trouble, Atletico in €800 million debt, Barca are skint as is French football as a whole PSG aside.

If there was a time for Usmanov to throw his weight around nows the time once we get a few bums off the books in the summer.

Last night, Olsen looked nervous. He made 2 great save in the 2nd half to keep us in the game but his kicking was some of the worst I've ever seen. He slipped for the 3rd which was a freak but overall he just looked like needs a run of games.

On Pickford, he is a soft target for the media and I'm surprised that the club and himself haven't tried to get ahead of the story and constant abuse. Carlo taking him out of the fire helped but we could do more.

I think the club will look to make this position a main priority in the summer with Olsen going back to Roma. Ideally we need a club like West Ham, Palace or Leeds to take make him a target.

Last night, Olsen looked nervous. He made 2 great save in the 2nd half to keep us in the game but his kicking was some of the worst I've ever seen. He slipped for the 3rd which was a freak but overall he just looked like needs a run of games.

On Pickford, he is a soft target for the media and I'm surprised that the club and himself haven't tried to get ahead of the story and constant abuse. Carlo taking him out of the fire helped but we could do more.

I think the club will look to make this position a main priority in the summer with Olsen going back to Roma. Ideally we need a club like West Ham, Palace or Leeds to take make him a target.
They’ve all got better keepers than him, going to be a right pain in the ass to shift Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.