Goalkeeper issues and who solves them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think it matters who we sign to play between the sticks they’ll be hated as soon as they let a goal in. God forbid when they inevitably make a mistake or worse still slip!!!

The thing about Donnarumma is AC Milan is still AC Milan and they're actually good again so acting like we're just ripping one of their best players away is pretty naive.

Plenty of good keepers out there though. I think we can improve the position pretty easily.

The thing about Donnarumma is AC Milan is still AC Milan and they're actually good again so acting like we're just ripping one of their best players away is pretty naive.

Plenty of good keepers out there though. I think we can improve the position pretty easily.
Basically this. There are plenty out there better than what we have who would likely be relatively cheap. It’s too important of a position to just accept our current mediocrity.

I don’t think it matters who we sign to play between the sticks they’ll be hated as soon as they let a goal in. God forbid when they inevitably make a mistake or worse still slip!!!
Doubt it. It took a few years to turn on Pickford. Just find someone who doesn’t make mistakes all the time and they’ll be fine.

I'm with you on this. Whilst I haven't exactly been defending him I haven't joined in the Pick bashing on here either, and have retained a degree of hope that he would still be able to turn it around. I think the Leicester game did it for me though. It was the 3 mistakes on the bounce, all of which contributed strongly to conceding the equaliser, and all of which sum up what's wrong with him at the moment. Not knowing where his goal is, not dealing with the cross, and not setting himself properly for the shot.

If we're going to get to the level we all want to be, I'm now of the mind that we can only get there with a different keeper. Not convinced Olsen is the long term answer but I'd certainly give him a run of games now and see how he does. Selling Pickford may prove a problem though as he's on a very good contract that still has over 3 years left.

yep... exactly the same... same game same moments.. I often focused more on the team set up and thought to myself how the amount of pressure we put on defense needed to be fixed first..felt we putting an unfair burden on him that most keepers don’t have to deal with. Keep letting teams have the ball etc etc ends up with Pickford needing to do heroics every game.
But we can’t afford for this to continue... maybe the problem is we expect too much from our keepers owing to our game plans...
if that is what we expect then we need the best either way...

Status
Not open for further replies.