Goalkeeper issues and who solves them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lets not dress this up. Pickford is not a good keeper, in fact he is certainly one of the worst in the league for the last few years. The mistake was signing an average keeper to "push" Pickford. If Pickford cannot push himself beyond his displays, he should have been binned not encouraged.

If we are serious about becoming top 4 contenders in the next two to three years, we need an elite keeper & cannot afford to be crippled by points thrown away. The one I would be looking at is David Soria @ Getafe; but there are people being paid a lot more money to have more knowledge than me
No cap for his national team.

I have always been skeptical of Olsen, but that may be because I am Scandinavian and have seen him in more matches than many others on the forum here.

The third goal for MU is a bit typical Olsen. A GK task is always to be in balance, ie to have a good center of gravity. This is a problem that Olsen has had throughout his career, and he has therefore had too many of these situations throughout his career.

He slips because he is not in balance, and it is a technical error of the goalkeeper.

Olsen is not the solution.
Wow, Robin's dad is well harsh...

I see Yann Sommer is the newest name mentioned on here a few times. He's smaller than Pickford, useless with his feet. I've seen this lad play a few times, he will get eaten alive in the Premier league with high balls into the Box, he's 32 now, not old in keeper terms but there's a reason he hasn't played for a big teamz challenging on the European level.

Big No from me

No cap for his national team.

I wouldnt draw a line through him just because of that; Getafe not exactly sexy & he is relatively young (same as JP) and has faced a lot of competition for the international team.

Key points...
he is very good at saving the ball & improves every year
He has good distribution, particularly long passes
Big and commands area

For reference, if Man City applied your "no cap" logic, they would have bypassed Ederson.

I wouldnt draw a line through him just because of that; Getafe not exactly sexy & he is relatively young (same as JP) and has faced a lot of competition for the international team.

Key points...
he is very good at saving the ball & improves every year
He has good distribution, particularly long passes
Big and commands area

For reference, if Man City applied your "no cap" logic, they would have bypassed Ederson.
Ederson was like 23 at the time.

Of course I don’t know this Spanish keeper but if he is not picked up by a bigger club and not in the national team at 28 then is he better than Pickford and Olsen who are number one of their national team respectively.

Usually I would have a replacement in mind, but I don't. We need a reliable keeper who is decent with the ball at their feet.
I'd be tempted to try for Henderson if United aren't going to drop De Gea. He will want to leave and we might not be able to get any better anyway.

I've probably been one of the last to call for a new keeper and have backed Pickford to improve... but I think the time has come to say can he step change. We don't need adequate, we need the best we can afford. Look at the teams in the top 6. Almost to a team they have invested heavily in their stopper.. for good reason.. I think it's become clear how important this role is .. more than ever.. and a solid number 1 is worth as much as a striker now.. was never the case before.
I'm with you on this. Whilst I haven't exactly been defending him I haven't joined in the Pick bashing on here either, and have retained a degree of hope that he would still be able to turn it around. I think the Leicester game did it for me though. It was the 3 mistakes on the bounce, all of which contributed strongly to conceding the equaliser, and all of which sum up what's wrong with him at the moment. Not knowing where his goal is, not dealing with the cross, and not setting himself properly for the shot.

If we're going to get to the level we all want to be, I'm now of the mind that we can only get there with a different keeper. Not convinced Olsen is the long term answer but I'd certainly give him a run of games now and see how he does. Selling Pickford may prove a problem though as he's on a very good contract that still has over 3 years left.

Status
Not open for further replies.