Goalkeeper issues and who solves them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

So let me get this right.... Before the game last night everyone was full of praise for olsen. Now everybody says he's not good enough? I actually thought he played OK. He claimed a few balls commandingly, made a few decent saves, his passing was fairly decent and composed. The Fernandes shot was superb, most keepers would struggle with it. The 3rd goal I actually felt sorry for him, he slipped. It wasn't like he made a bad call or did something ridiculous to give away a goal. Long term he's not the answer but from what I've seen so far I would be happy if he was our number 1 for next season.

Really don't know what the fuss is about the goals conceded last night.

First goal - Cavani got away from his marker, had a free header from close range. Bad defensive marking. Although I think anything in the air in the 6-yard box should be the GK's to take.

Second goal - quite simply a super strike that the best keeper in the world, of any era, would have no chance of reaching. Defenders stood off.

Third goal - his foot slipped on the turf at the vital moment, that was plain to see.

Other than that, he did well.

What's our other keeper like, Virginia? I've only ever seen him in one cup game. I'm not suggesting we now start with him, but can anyone whose seen more games from him say if he's any good or even first team ready?

I don't know what he's like now mate but we used to live about 20 minutes from Reading and knew a fair few Reading fans, their take on him at the time was that he was abysmal, he only played a few games but he was that bad in those games he didn't play again. I could be wrong but I'm sure Reading sent him back to us or we recalled him because Reading stopped playing him.

He's still only 21 and I remember some Arsenal fans rating him as a good keeper so I suppose we won't know how good/bad he is till he plays in the first team.

These days a huge part of a GK’s game is with the feet, keeping the ball moving, switching from left to right.

Olsen’s distribution often leaves a lot to be desired, whereas Pickford’s long passes regularly start attacks.

But, from a defensive point of view, as a CB are you happier with Olsen or Pickford behind you? Right now, you’d have to say the Swede.

As a whole, theyre probably arent that many top keepers around. The majority of the highly rated ones still make mistakes, even ter Stegen, Neuer, Edinson.
For me, the Donnarumma shout maybe hopeful but we do appear to have a couple of plus points. One we have Milan legen Ancelloti and two, unfortunately we have a decent relationship with Donnarummas agent, Raiola. Perhaps a favourable deal to take Kean to Milan may help us out

Status
Not open for further replies.