Match Thread Fulham v Everton (Sunday 22 Nov 12:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think the defence should
Protect itself. If we had quality at centre back we wouldn’t be conceding goals. Too much emphasis for me on having defensive players all over the park to cover your defenders.
Mina is dreadful, Keane is poor too. Positional sense of both of them is woeful and they’re both too slow.

I agree to a point, but for the first goal none of the midfielders put any pressure on the ball at all, Fulham were allowed to waltz through and have a pop. For me either Alan or Doucoure need to be putting a stop to that before it develops.

I agree to a point, but for the first goal none of the midfielders put any pressure on the ball at all, Fulham were allowed to waltz through and have a pop. For me either Alan or Doucoure need to be putting a stop to that before it develops.
It’s a balance isn’t it. But for many years,
Pre Claude makelele, defensive midfielders didn’t really exist. In any given game of football, midfielders are there to help, but there’s going to be times in a game when your defenders are going to have to defend as Keeper aside, the last line of defence. Same goes for the keeper making saves. Defenders should sense the danger and be in the right place for when the midfielders can sometimes be passed around or run past. That’s just football. I’ve never seen a game before where defenders have not had to defend and it’s not as if Fulham or any other team, are throwing 6 men into the box. We have too many spineless centre backs who are the most part slow and can’t read a game. Just
My opinion.

We have a couple of winnable matches before the schedule gets tough. Gotto get thesen6 points.

We can do it
These matches do seem winnable specially now that Richarlison is back. The table is pretty tight right now so if we can pick up these 6 points then we can continue being contenders for the top spots. Plus it would be a great beginning to everyone's Christmas season :)

They did in first half. Tea was obviously laced with sedatives at HT though. That's the reason for the slovenly 2nd half!

Everton have conceded two or more goals in six consecutive Premier League games for the first time since October 2008 .[this came at the very start of the season infact we conceeded 2 in 7 of 1st 8 games]

These were against
Blackburn 1st day lost 3-2

6 Consecutive games conceeding 2

3-0 home lost to Portsmouth [3rd game]
3-2 win at Stoke [4th game]
2-2 away at Hull [5th game]
2-0 lost home Liverpool [6th game]
2-2 home v Newcastle [7th game]
3-1 lost away to Arsenal [8th game]

Strange game really. We looked electric for 30 mins and that won us the game. Could have been 3 or 4 clear at HT. Then again we looked open and a better side is probably in touch at the break, too. Hated our tactics in the second half, 5-4-1 low block and play for set pieces and quick breaks on the counter. Very Italian approach. Think we should have aimed to dominate the ball a bit more second half (especially given the fatigue in the squad) and aim to see it out that way.

Have seen Ancelotti play double right backs a couple of times now. Try and congest that right hand side and allow James to drift. Personally I'm not a fan of 3-4-3. I get we want to protect our net but personnel and stability is as good as numbers.

3 points is 3 points though so got to be happy with that. And when it works it doesn't half work. Stretch the play right to left, then left to right, then get James on the ball pronto and go back to the left with quality - bringing Digne and Richy onto the ball in space to have a crack and/or feed the 9. You know the rest.

Lick the wounds and on to Leeds. Back to 4-3-3 please.

I still can’t get over that second half. I’m scared by it. Total ineptitude. Came out like it was a Sunday kick about.

we are so far off being a decent side.

Not sure what to take from the game. 3 points obviously.

Performance was chalk and cheese in different phases. In saying that Fulham didn't have even a half-chance once it went 2-3. There was no threat of it going 3-3 at any point though the threat of getting another to make things safe wasn't there.

I do wonder how much tiredness plays a part after these international breaks. Looks like lots of tired legs on both teams for the last 20. Allowed the defence to sit on and absorb the little pressure Fulham exerted.

Think tiredness and fatigue are going to be massive going into December/January. League Cup comes back at that point as well. Durability of players and strength of every team's squad is going to be put to the test. Feels like the last 20 mins of yesterday's game was the start of that slog.

well might he be concerned, I think he was drinking too much last night to decide to play Mina at the back - having this lanky buffoon in defence is a disaster for the entire team - too many chopping and changing the defence - no continuity or consistency with formations

haphazard from Pickford all the way out at the moment! you wonder how many goals do Everton need to score to get something out of a game, that is not a great position to be in

I know many pick out Mina and there is good cause but for me our defence weakness starts with Pickford. That goal yesterday he could have come charging out and got it even off the strikers boots that is my view, it could have halted Fulham's revival.

Last edited:
Everton have conceded two or more goals in six consecutive Premier League games for the first time since October 2008 .[this came at the very start of the season infact we conceeded 2 in 7 of 1st 8 games]

These were against
Blackburn 1st day lost 3-2

6 Consecutive games conceeding 2

3-0 home lost to Portsmouth [3rd game]
3-2 win at Stoke [4th game]
2-2 away at Hull [5th game]
2-0 lost home Liverpool [6th game]
2-2 home v Newcastle [7th game]
3-1 lost away to Arsenal [8th game]
Geez I remember that Portsmouth game, we were rubbish. Think we had Jags and Rodwell both playing CM and the Yak did another of his famous jarg pens. Why was he ever a pen taker, did he ever score one?

I thought Pickford had a lot to do with it, belting the ball downn field at every opportunity, hard to keep possession with them tactics.

Not having the tactical nous to play from the back against woeful Fulham is pretty worrying, well for me anyway.

The main positive is 3 points despite playing terrible in the 2nd half - in seasons gone by that would be 0 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.