2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said at the start mate, we have a quite bad attack, without Dominic Calvert-Lewin its just even worse.

I like Demz, but hes a bit wasteful, Gordon is struggling a little and its just not working for Maupay.

Some people seem to think a new manager would come in and wave a magic wand and get everybody firing, they might well do, new manager bounce is a thing and maybe players would react to new ideas, a new man.

And a few people think its dead easy to fix, "Just push up a bit more innit fam", "Tell them to put the white/orange/yellow thing in the net blud".

I like Frank, I want it to work for him here, but currently, for whatever reason, its not.

Big game on Saturday, another damb squid like the other night, then theres questions to ask, real questions, lets hope we have answers Saturday night.
This is pretty much where it's at. I'm all for giving a manager time, but some managers can have all the time in the world and it will simply never come right. Frank's problem is there is zero evidence he's even cut out to be a manager. He's not got a track record to point to when appealing for time, patience, and a little faith. I agree that a new man may do no better and that appointing a new manager would be something of a punt. But staying with Frank is every bit as much a punt.

If we are beaten again at the weekend, I think Frank is in the danger zone - and can have few complaints. All that is keeping him in a job is the fact that we are not adrift. But a defeat on Saturday means he is in jeopardy because managers who were not available last January are available after the World Cup. The break allows a new man time - and Moshiri loves a bit of sprinkled glamour to cover a multitude of his own incompetence.

And let's be fair: one point from Fulham, Leicester, and Bournemouth - added to a cup capitulation - spells trouble failure for any Premier League manager.

I thought he pretty much said, he knows scoring is a problem, they were going to try and be active in January and we are badly missing Richarlison.

Selling Richarlsion has really sunk our battle ship, hasnt it, like i said at the time he was worth 80mill+ to us, its proving to be an awful deal.

Reminds me of the time, Brands sold Idrissa, signed a load of rubbish midfielders and absolutely hung Marco Silva out to dry and essentially ended his Everton career.
Yep, that's a good parallel mate.

It's completely destabilised this team.

Lampard did some good work last summer on the defence and midfield, but it's all undone if you dont score enough goals. And his insistence on emphasising Calvert-Lewin's likely impact was a terrible call based on what we all knew of him.

Overall, we can get out of this as long as a couple of attackers are brought in EARLY in January (one a goal scorer like Brereton-Diaz and another more creative player operating behind or out wide from him).

Didn't like his interview. Didn't like his attitude, and don't like that he won't admit he got it wrong.

We haven't at this point got a squad to compete in the cup'​

Bournemouth v Everton (Sat, 15:00 GMT)
3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton
Lampard on whether he has any regrets on Tuesday nights result and team selection:
"We lost a game, in terms of selection then no.
"We haven't at this point got a squad to compete in the cup or three times a week.
"It didn't happen so it's done now and we move on to tomorrow."

What sort of attitude is this? We had 2 midweek cup games between August and mid November. How can we not cope

Lose tomorrow and he should go because the issues this week were self inflicted
He's out of his depth. If he thought he could rely on the misfits who have proven time and time again that they are useless wasters, then he hasn't been doing his job over the summer. Where I sypathise with him is that I am not certain his so-called first team wouldn't have imploded either. Essentially, he can't rely on most of our squad. His problem is much of that squad is now his own. I think he has done well to staunch the bleeding at the back, but his midfield is non-existent and he placed his faith - and his job - in the hands of Anthony Gordon and Dominic Calvert-Lewin. That kind of poor judgement is likely fatal. A matter of time now.

This is pretty much where it's at. I'm all for giving a manager time, but some managers can have all the time in the world and it will simply never come right. Frank's problem is there is zero evidence he's even cut out to be a manager. He's not got a track record to point to when appealing for time, patience, and a little faith. I agree that a new man may do no better and that appointing a new manager would be something of a punt. But staying with Frank is every bit as much a punt.

If we are beaten again at the weekend, I think Frank is in the danger zone - and can have few complaints. All that is keeping him in a job is the fact that we are not adrift. But a defeat on Saturday means he is in jeopardy because managers who were not available last January are available after the World Cup. The break allows a new man time - and Moshiri loves a bit of sprinkled glamour to cover a multitude of his own incompetence.

And let's be fair: one point from Fulham, Leicester, and Bournemouth - added to a cup capitulation - spells trouble failure for any Premier League manager.
I disagree.

I think we've seen him set up quite intelligently in games against Liverpool and a few others. The team were compact and disciplined and created a couple of chances per game to take.

His problem has been that we play tat most of the time - but dangerous tat who can cause us a headache - and he's instructing players to get on the ball and build up from their own half, but the players we have aren't good enough to withstand even minor pressing. That's why we need a more creative presence in the team and an outball to a real attacker who has mobility who can compete for long balls and come back to show for a pass from midfield.

I think we have to accept that he's been here 11 months and 1 transfer window and get behind him. For the next few months at the very least.

He is protecting the first 11 by fielding that absolute shower midweek. He knows if we get any injuries to our first 11 and we have to rely on any of those that played midweek then we are in serious trouble.
Exactly. Imagine the uproar and outrage if he played the first 11, a couple of key players get crocked and their replacements cost us the game on Saturday. Everyone would be screaming he should have played the squad lads because 3 points is ultimately more important than the next round of a competition we're probably not going to win. Unfortunately, thats just the cold reality.

Exactly. Imagine the uproar and outrage if he played the first 11, a couple of key players get crocked and their replacements cost us the game on Saturday. Everyone would be screaming he should have played the squad lads because 3 points is ultimately more important than the next round of a competition we're probably not going to win. Unfortunately, thats just the cold reality.
Nope

Injuries can happen any week and are part of sport

Nope

Injuries can happen any week and are part of sport
Of course they can, but anyone who has been on this forum for more than 5 minutes will know half the fan base would be livid about "unnecessary" injuries to key players in a game many people considered a dead rubber because we wont win the trophy anyway. To think otherwise is just plain naive.

Didn't like his interview. Didn't like his attitude, and don't like that he won't admit he got it wrong.

We haven't at this point got a squad to compete in the cup'​

Bournemouth v Everton (Sat, 15:00 GMT)
3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton
Lampard on whether he has any regrets on Tuesday nights result and team selection:
"We lost a game, in terms of selection then no.
"We haven't at this point got a squad to compete in the cup or three times a week.
"It didn't happen so it's done now and we move on to tomorrow."

What sort of attitude is this? We had 2 midweek cup games between August and mid November. How can we not cope

Lose tomorrow and he should go because the issues this week were self inflicted
To be slightly fair to him, Davies and doucs had to play as Onana and Gana were out. Garner is on fringes or 1st 11 as well. Maupay and Gordon and patterson are also regular starters this season. So over half the team was either 1st choice or required due to injury. Begovic has also been decent enough when playing for us.

He did make the mistake of changing the formation and the whole back line. Don't mind Mina coming in to give one of Tarks or Coady a rest, but bringing Keane and Holgate is on him. I can understand giving Vinagre a chance in place of Myko, but playing 4 defenders who haven't played really this season is all on him when he should have maybe changed 2 at most.

Far worse than selecting a second string of players, was the unbelievable decision to set them up with that ridiculous back 3/5, which just does not work at all. I kind of think the players were hung out to dry with that formation.

Unforunately we are on course to score 30 goals from 38 games, only Norwich scored less last season....

Looked back to 2014, only Huddersfield in 2018 stayed up scoring 30 goals or less.... rest were relegated
I get we need to score more and am fully on board with trying to replace our whole forward line. But like I say, other than like once I think, every team relegated has conceded 50 or more goals.

There is a balance to be found, but conceding less was a major problem to fix for us and he had to start somewhere.

I disagree.

I think we've seen him set up quite intelligently in games against Liverpool and a few others. The team were compact and disciplined and created a couple of chances per game to take.

His problem has been that we play tat most of the time - but dangerous tat who can cause us a headache - and he's instructing players to get on the ball and build up from their own half, but the players we have aren't good enough to withstand even minor pressing. That's why we need a more creative presence in the team and an outball to a real attacker who has mobility who can compete for long balls and come back to show for a pass from midfield.

I think we have to accept that he's been here 11 months and 1 transfer window and get behind him. For the next few months at the very least.
I generally agree with this. (Regardless of our differing views on DCL), our forward line is not creative enough and hasn't been capable of maintaining possession. The ball then constantly goes right back at us pushing our midfield and defence even deeper and making it harder for them to then break out because the gaps to the forward line become wider.

If any of the forward line could act as an actual outlet and hold it up, or actually pass the ball, it would allow the midfield to press higher. But they don't create, they don't hold it up, and at times don't seem interested at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.