2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s pretty much the opposite of clutching at straws really, it’s making an honest and unpopular assessment of a situation and highlighting both the pros and cons of it.

I wouldn’t go as far as he did and say they’re the root of the problem, but many people (you are evidently one of them) appear blind to the issues they contribute to.
The fact our forwards are so poor and struggle to score, is probably as much an argument against the idea of pushing high up the field. Our only realistic chance of winning games is by keeping clean sheets.

You still have to try!

As a manager it is much, much better to play the right way and fail (this is basically what Arteta did for a couple of years at Arsenal and what Ten Hag is doing with United now) because the players aren't it than to use crap tactics in a fleeting pursuit of results.

The team started this year in no real danger of relegation and the tactics should have been much better than last year's dross. It never happened. It started with Frank's disjointed preseason and has continued unabated.
Arsenal and United can do that free from relegation concerns. We cant because we operate at a different level. They can also go out and spend hundreds of millions to try and find the right attackers. We cant.

We need to play to our strengths- that means fast aggressive direct football. No more slow build up and square passing. I am not going to watch us play if that's our gameplan because I'm not watching something I know will never work.

People I meet from round the country who don't follow us closely, say to me, are you happy with Lampard and I always say, the jury's still put for me. But the jury is slowly but surely coming back in. My only worry, is who is gonna replace him.

It’s pretty much the opposite of clutching at straws really, it’s making an honest and unpopular assessment of a situation and highlighting both the pros and cons of it.

I wouldn’t go as far as he did and say they’re the root of the problem, but many people (you are evidently one of them) appear blind to the issues they contribute to.
Im not senile to how bad our defence has been last few seasons and not blind to see its improved this season. The problem is not the centre backs. There is no encyclopaedia vast enough to school your cave of a mind otherwise.

Arsenal and United can do that free from relegation concerns. We cant because we operate at a different level. They can also go out and spend hundreds of millions to try and find the right attackers. We cant.

We need to play to our strengths- that means fast aggressive direct football. No more slow build up and square passing. I am not going to watch us play if that's our gameplan because I'm not watching something I know will never work.
I'm totally fine with fast and aggressive but that requires some amount of pressing ability in 2022 and this team can't press.

Im not senile to how bad our defence has been last few seasons and not blind to see its improved this season. The problem is not the centre backs. There is no encyclopaedia vast enough to school your cave of a mind otherwise.
Yes we have tightened up the defence. We now only concede 1 goal per game. Unfortunately, that has meant we now score far less than 1 goal per game.

11 scored, 14 conceded.

That has resulted in us winning 3 League games out of 14.

A lot of people will have a go at you for that but your point is not completely without merit.

I think theyve both been excellent, but I do see the point. I'd only add a couple of things to that though:

1) Some of this has to be on the manager. We get caught between styles. We have this low block defence, but then try and play out from the back.

2) Having Mykolenko and Coleman exacerbates this. They also play really deep. We surrender so much space in front of us

I saw in the match thread today someone say we are unlucky to concede worldie, but honestly we let so many shots on goal, its inevitable some will go in the top corner. It's a bit random when it happens but it will.

Yes we have tightened up the defence. We now only concede 1 goal per game. Unfortunately, that has meant we now score far less than 1 goal per game.

11 scored, 14 conceded.

That has resulted in us winning 3 League games out of 14.

14 goals against is very good.

The problem becomes, it's a bit of a lottery as to whether you get the 1st goal or not, and I'd we dont, we dont have any real ability to change the flow of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.