2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will either get some results in the first month after the break or he will be sacked.

There's no point getting all wound up about
Yeah, the only two or three moments in Lampard's career to date where I have concerns, are:

1. Derby Championship final
When they went 1-0 down with a few mins left, Frank shrunk expressionless into the dug-out. No energy, no reaction. I felt for the players

2. Chelsea signings
a) Massive splurge on players (that Tuchel made work)
b) Couldn't really get Chelsea out of that rut that led to his sacking there.

With us, I think he was part of fans and club putting crap to one side and digging in together. He deserves credit for his part in that. I genuinely thought we were relegation material in moments, and we avoided it. That to some extent allayed concerns he can;t connect with or motivate players sufficiently.

Fast forward to today...

The lack of planning for our poor attack line looks like 2a) above
The slide pre world-cup was poor. It looked like 2b) above.

I think he needs the Window to pull in a forward or two and we'll be OK. If course if he fails to bring in a forward he and Thelwell come under the microscope becuase this gap was evident pre summer.

But even the great Carlo Ancelotti, with a firing Dominic Calvert-Lewin, a creative James Rodriguez and Lucas Digne was in free fall towards the end and we were fortunate to scrape 10th
We spent virtually all season in the top 8, and more often than not in the top 6, so hardly 'fortunate' not to finish in the bottom half. 7th or 8th position would have been far more deserved than 11th or 12th. A decent manager will get us back into the top 10, hopefully Lampard is that man (he's not looking like it so far, mind).

We spent virtually all season in the top 8, and more often than not in the top 6, so hardly 'fortunate' not to finish in the bottom half. 7th or 8th position would have been far more deserved than 11th or 12th. A decent manager will get us back into the top 10, hopefully Lampard is that man (he's not looking like it so far, mind).

This squad is not getting anywhere near the top 10 regardless of who the manager is, our fans need to seriously wake up.

View attachment 193837

I am firmly in the pro Frank camp and not just because he is a nice guy

I think there’s alot of Stockholm syndrome with some of our fans in regards to Management…

I think its safe to say Moyes, Roberto (until the end of his second season) and Carlo were the only really heavily supported managers we have had in the last 20 odd years

But even the great Carlo Ancelotti, with a firing Dominic Calvert-Lewin, a creative James Rodriguez and Lucas Digne was in free fall towards the end and we were fortunate to scrape 10th

You need a serious reality check if you think that a manager whether it be Zidane, Guardiola, Klopp, Galtier or whomever could walk into the club and just have some magic philosophy that would turn the club around

We are a bottom half football team and the quicker that realisation comes the better off you will feel- not defeatist because i don’t think its permanent…but it is the situation

Since the last time we consistently challenged for europe on a regular basis i have had a kid and that kid has grown up and gone through school… literally a life time ago

The big magic takeover hasn’t provided the expected results and here we are

In Frank we have a manager who has brought together a world class staffing team with him and has recently been joined by a highly rated football director who hasn’t been given much time to work yet

The short memory of fans continues when you don’t consider the post Carlo months, Everton fans were literally fighting each-other, the club was fractured hate and anger was over flowing at every turn

Frank settled that, and quickly invested in the culture of the club, he is the solid baseline, he is also not going to run at the next opportunity that comes knocking… he wants to build a legacy…

His financially restricted transfer windows saw him bring in stop gaps to a horrendous midfield in Donny and Dele… not the best players in the world but Donny was solid and a good ball distributor and Dele changed the Palace game… this got us through relegation

He then shored up the defence provided depth to the midfield and has some squad player level forward options

To think he would be able to buy an entirely new team in one window again is nothing but foolish

Dom has turned into an absolute sick note and needs shifting as soon as possible… Gordo’s head was turned and the pressure dialled too high for his capability of handling it… and we don’t play the right football to make the most out of Maupay who i feel is more aligned to the Cahill role than upfront…

I had the pleasure of having a really good talk with him and truly believe him when he told me that there has been non stop on depth work being done to ensure we bolster the clubs attacking power in January

Vs Palace we saw how he wants to play, and to be honest thats how we want Everton to play, yes Palace weren’t great, but intense pressure football with distribution equal through the middle and wings and a finisher slotting home, a sured up defence that is only really susceptible on the counter which is the risk you take pushing high…

Thats my 2c anyways

View attachment 193839
? I tend to agree with most of these points
Yeah, the only two or three moments in Lampard's career to date where I have concerns, are:

1. Derby Championship final
When they went 1-0 down with a few mins left, Frank shrunk expressionless into the dug-out. No energy, no reaction. I felt for the players

2. Chelsea signings
a) Massive splurge on players (that Tuchel made work)
b) Couldn't really get Chelsea out of that rut that led to his sacking there.

With us, I think he was part of fans and club putting crap to one side and digging in together. He deserves credit for his part in that. I genuinely thought we were relegation material in moments, and we avoided it. That to some extent allayed concerns he can;t connect with or motivate players sufficiently.

Fast forward to today...

The lack of planning for our poor attack line looks like 2a) above
The slide pre world-cup was poor. It looked like 2b) above.

I think he needs the Window to pull in a forward or two and we'll be OK. If course if he fails to bring in a forward he and Thelwell come under the microscope becuase this gap was evident pre summer.
the problem is we have sunk to the pits of the premier league. Therefore, we can’t sign a sure fire winning striker because better teams are in for sure fire winners.
We are now in for gambles - like Maupay, or another nuasse, tosun or mois keen. Surely one of these gambles has to turn in to a Kevin Campbell at some point though.

This squad is not getting anywhere near the top 10 regardless of who the manager is, our fans need to seriously wake up.
A lot of these players were in the top 10 as recently as May 2021, the idea that nobody can achieve this with the right signings is acting like 10th is some fantasy utopia that only the cream can achieve- it isn't. At the end of the season there'll likely only be a few points difference between the team finishing 10th and the team finishing, say, 15th. It's hardly impossible for a good manager to be challenging the Fulham's or Brentford's for a 10th place slot.

A lot of these players were in the top 10 as recently as May 2021, the idea that nobody can achieve this with the right signings is acting like 10th is some fantasy utopia that only the cream can achieve- it isn't. At the end of the season there'll likely only be a few points difference between the team finishing 10th and the team finishing, say, 15th. It's hardly impossible for a good manager to be challenging the Fulham's or Brentford's for a 10th place slot.

No they weren’t, it’s an entirely different squad. We had Richarlison, Digne, James and an actually fit DCL playing actual games of football. And it was a season played in front of no fans which just doesn’t reflect real life. Since then we’ve replaced all the goals and assists in that team with Dwight McNeil, Neal Maupay, Demarai Gray and Anthony Gordon who have about 20 career goals combined. So at the moment yes top 10 is an absolute pipe dream because this squad is not only far worse on paper, but also forced to play away games in front of fans which causes them to break out in hives. This is a bottom 5 squad so I’d suggest adjusting your expectations.

No they weren’t, it’s an entirely different squad. We had Richarlison, Digne, James and an actually fit Dominic Calvert-Lewin playing actual games of football. And it was a season played in front of no fans which just doesn’t reflect real life. Since then we’ve replaced all the goals and assists in that team with Dwight McNeil, Neal Maupay, Demarai Gray and Anthony Gordon who have about 20 career goals combined. So at the moment yes top 10 is an absolute pipe dream because this squad is not only far worse on paper, but also forced to play away games in front of fans which causes them to break out in hives.

It's not an entirely different squad though, many of the same names still here- some not even deemed good enough to get into this first 11 too. And the 'no fans' was the same for everyone so the idea that it doesn't count, so you can act like Frank is doing some marvellous job doesn't really wash- he was happy with spending the money on McNeil and Maupay too, then plays Maupay in a role that doesn't fit him at all. Gordon was actually one of the key reasons we stayed up last season too, weird how people are acting like he wasn't, just because of a massive dip in form.

This is a bottom 5 squad so I’d suggest adjusting your expectations.
My expectations are actually for around 13th so hardly asking that much. You're just suffering from 'everyone else at every other club has better players than this' syndrome even though you never watch them play.

It's not an entirely different squad though, many of the same names still here- some not even deemed good enough to get into this first 11 too. And the 'no fans' was the same for everyone so the idea that it doesn't count, so you can act like Frank is doing some marvellous job doesn't really wash- he was happy with spending the money on McNeil and Maupay too, then plays Maupay in a role that doesn't fit him at all. Gordon was actually one of the key reasons we stayed up last season too, weird how people are acting like he wasn't, just because of a massive dip in form.

My expectations are actually for around 13th so hardly asking that much. You're just suffering from 'everyone else at every other club has better players than this' syndrome even though you never watch them play.

What are you on about? Where have I suggested that? I’m simply acknowledging a reality about our current squad, we have the worst attacking options in the league. 13th would be an absolute godsend and I’d rip your arm off for it right now, that would be overachieving with this group. We may achieve it if we bring in two new attackers in January and they hit the ground running. For now, 17th is the target.

Villa were plodding along with a no mark manager that was taking them nowhere but down. They have now replaced him with a superior manager and they are now in 12th place, just one point off 'fantasy land' 10th place. The idea that Lampard is getting the very best out of this squad is what's fantasy land.

What makes you think another new manager could do any better with this squad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.