For the old boys!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I can understand the affection, Khalekan, but he wouldn't have got anywhere near the good teams that we had. I disliked the 'throw Mick up front days'.

I begs to differ, Eggs.

I would say Mick was a better stopper centre half than Derek Mountfield from the 80's team.

And I would have Mick at his best over both Jags and Disdin at theirs.

Much underrated is Mick Lyons, IMO.

:)

Lyons for England!!!
On topic though one thing that amazed me at the time about the Plymouth game was I think we took a couple of planes too!!! Unheard of at the time.
And then yes lost to Fulham. There is a picture of viv Busby in the old everton pictures thread. Iirc his wife was RS which rubbed our noses in it too. Second division sigh.

Brings back memories, cheers @Dario Terracotta . The Plymouth tie was my first ever away game, the train had those old compartment carriages with six seats in. Really enjoyed the trip and couldn't get over the amount of blues at the game. Typical Everton to lose to Fulham in the next round like . Koff Busby.

Lyons for England!!!
On topic though one thing that amazed me at the time about the Plymouth game was I think we took a couple of planes too!!! Unheard of at the time.
And then yes lost to Fulham. There is a picture of viv Busby in the old everton pictures thread. Iirc his wife was RS which rubbed our noses in it too. Second division sigh.
I'm sure he got called up to the full England squad,typical of micks luck he didn't get on!

I'm sure he got called up to the full England squad,typical of micks luck he didn't get on!
Have you got a copy of the absolutely iconic picture of him celebrating his equaliser against Villa at the OT league cup final reply? Close range header or shot near the end of ordinary time iirc. 110% passion for the team he truly loved. I felt like crying when I saw it the next day. Just not quite enough....summed up the 70s for us!

We officially took 14,000 to this game on the same day the RS couldn't sell their allocation at Ipswich (they sold only 4,000 of an 8,000 allocation). We had all the terracing that ran the full length of the pitch that you can see, absolutely rammed, opposite the cameras in this video. And you can also see from the crowd reaction when we score that we'd also infiltrated the sections behind each goal.

A great day that only Everton fans, in cup ties, can make.

There was murder before the game though. I remember going to go into a pub at the top end of the park that runs downhill to the city centre. Just as i'm about to go through the doors, a f****n police horse comes galloping out! The inside was wrecked. Broken tables and chairs all over the place. There were running battles all the way down to the city in the park.

As your dad says, at a time when the RS were starting to dominate the league this day reminded all Blues fans just how superior we were in our support. Of course that was in the days before 'supporters' would follow a side just because they had chosen on the back of their success, and well before support of the more successful clubs was augmented by foreigners.

If memory serves me correctly, they took 5 special trains to Ipswich while we took 11 or 12 to Plymouth.

Have you got a copy of the absolutely iconic picture of him celebrating his equaliser against Villa at the OT league cup final reply? Close range header or shot near the end of ordinary time iirc. 110% passion for the team he truly loved. I felt like crying when I saw it the next day. Just not quite enough....summed up the 70s for us!

Here's him scoring:

h_00207033.jpg

there was a shot of him I think in Milan with a horrendous cut to his eye,nothing would stop him playing for the blues,nothing,he was one of us.

I remember a cup replay versus City at Maine Road that we lost but Mike Lyons worked his backside off. Think we were 2-1 down when John Gidman hurt his wrist and turned to the skipper as though to say, "I want treatment, it hurts" and Mike Lyons glared at him and yelled, "it's only your f***ing hand, Shut up and get on with it."
Me and my mate Gareth sat in the front row of the Platt Lane seats getting soaked in the rain, were howling laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.