For the old boys!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mick Lyons, a true blue and an absolute gentleman.

Met him in Orry's once and he was great to talk to and still mad about the Toffees.

Unfortunately he was with John Bailey, who acted like a total bellend!

...have to be honest that I wasn't a big fan of Mick as a player. Couldn't fault his effort but the fact that we threw him up top was a real sign of our lack of forward power. Hope we never have to return to that strategy.
You could very well be right but,I can't remember us being in the situation we're in now too often.In fact right now a Mick Lyons type who wins a lot of headers in the opposition box might come in very handy when we're winning possession but not the game.

We officially took 14,000 to this game on the same day the RS couldn't sell their allocation at Ipswich (they sold only 4,000 of an 8,000 allocation). We had all the terracing that ran the full length of the pitch that you can see, absolutely rammed, opposite the cameras in this video. And you can also see from the crowd reaction when we score that we'd also infiltrated the sections behind each goal.

A great day that only Everton fans, in cup ties, can make.

There was murder before the game though. I remember going to go into a pub at the top end of the park that runs downhill to the city centre. Just as i'm about to go through the doors, a f****n police horse comes galloping out! The inside was wrecked. Broken tables and chairs all over the place. There were running battles all the way down to the city in the park.

As your dad says, at a time when the RS were starting to dominate the league this day reminded all Blues fans just how superior we were in our support. Of course that was in the days before 'supporters' would follow a side just because they had chosen on the back of their success, and well before support of the more successful clubs was augmented by foreigners.

Yes great memories of this I was 14 at the time and it was the first long distance away game I had gone to, and the first time i had ever gone on a football special. My recollection is of 9 specials going to Plymouth and five going to Ipswich.

Me and my mate John Adams traveled to Liverpool Friday night and stayed at my Aunties. I think our train was the 04:00 Saturday Morning but they seemed to be leaving all night/morning. We were directly behind the goal where the first two goals were scored. Coming back through the park after the match was a like scene from Waterloo (the battle) .

Have you got a copy of the absolutely iconic picture of him celebrating his equaliser against Villa at the OT league cup final reply? Close range header or shot near the end of ordinary time iirc. 110% passion for the team he truly loved. I felt like crying when I saw it the next day. Just not quite enough....summed up the 70s for us!

Is this it ?

lyons.jpg

I can remember a game, I was in Lower Goodison road near the Street end. Snow was chucking down and it was damned cold. Just cannot recall who we were playing. I do though know our no 9 was Fred (Pickering). I have to say I did like Fred. Don't know if we have any vids of him playing anywhere perhaps some one can find some, I have not a clue where to look!

I can remember a game, I was in Lower Goodison road near the Street end. Snow was chucking down and it was damned cold. Just cannot recall who we were playing. I do though know our no 9 was Fred (Pickering). I have to say I did like Fred. Don't know if we have any vids of him playing anywhere perhaps some one can find some, I have not a clue where to look!

My granddad loved Fred Pickering, always saying he would have won a World Cup medal in 1996 if it had not been for a knee injury in the FA Cup 1/4 final a couple of months earlier. He only played 3 times for England but scored 5 goals.

Here's a great video of him scoring the first of a hattrick for England U-23's v Scotland:

http://ssa.nls.uk/film/T2221

@Pat's Van edit 1966 lol

Last edited:

My granddad loved Fred Pickering, always saying he would have won a World Cup medal in 1996 if it had not been for a knee injury in the FA Cup 1/4 final a couple of months earlier. He only played 3 times for England but scored 5 goals.

Here's a great video of him scoring the first of a hattrick for England U-23's v Scotland:

http://ssa.nls.uk/film/T2221

Do not think any other player in an England shirt has bettered that scoring rate but I might be wrong. In that vid, was not sure but the SCotland no 6 was it Gabriel?

My granddad loved Fred Pickering, always saying he would have won a World Cup medal in 1996 if it had not been for a knee injury in the FA Cup 1/4 final a couple of months earlier.
if it hadn't been for the knee injury, and the fact there was no world cup that year

Do not think any other player in an England shirt has bettered that scoring rate but I might be wrong. In that vid, was not sure but the SCotland no 6 was it Gabriel?

Great spot mate, yes Jimmy Gabriel - it was his last U 23 game for Scotland, he won two senior caps.

Will have a look later, must be some film of him, there's at least one I can remember of him playing for Blackburn.
I know my dad always felt we should have signed their inside forward think his name was McEvoy as well as Fred,he ripped us to shreds one game apparently according to my old fella:)

Status
Not open for further replies.