For the old boys!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Dad has told me about this day for years. He said they got to Lime Street and Liverpool were away too. He said they had 1 maybe 2 trains and we had about 15. He still always tells me theyll never beat our support and references this game.

My Dad has told me about this day for years. He said they got to Lime Street and Liverpool were away too. He said they had 1 maybe 2 trains and we had about 15. He still always tells me theyll never beat our support and references this game.
We officially took 14,000 to this game on the same day the RS couldn't sell their allocation at Ipswich (they sold only 4,000 of an 8,000 allocation). We had all the terracing that ran the full length of the pitch that you can see, absolutely rammed, opposite the cameras in this video. And you can also see from the crowd reaction when we score that we'd also infiltrated the sections behind each goal.

A great day that only Everton fans, in cup ties, can make.

There was murder before the game though. I remember going to go into a pub at the top end of the park that runs downhill to the city centre. Just as i'm about to go through the doors, a f****n police horse comes galloping out! The inside was wrecked. Broken tables and chairs all over the place. There were running battles all the way down to the city in the park.

As your dad says, at a time when the RS were starting to dominate the league this day reminded all Blues fans just how superior we were in our support. Of course that was in the days before 'supporters' would follow a side just because they had chosen on the back of their success, and well before support of the more successful clubs was augmented by foreigners.

Remember going to this. Was working night shift, finished a couple of hours early and got to Lime Street. Never seen it as packed with blue and red (mainly blue by 3 or 4 to 1)
Can't remember how many trains were leaving, but there were loads. Liverpool were (I think) away to Ipswich.
It was one hell of a long train journey after being in work since 9PM the previous night
[Poor language removed] ground, and I remember the 'Programme' was in the form of a broadsheet newspaper.
Nice pasties though and it was a great, but tiring day.

Status
Not open for further replies.