Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'll try my best...

Wig1Fev.jpg

Nnnnnnnggggghhhhhh.....

bpIk08U.jpg

Nnnnnn....Almost...

WnopLUt.jpg

There we go!

in the late 90s and early 2000s it was United and Arsenal at the top, with Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle and briefly Leeds a tier behind - then in the 2000s the Sky Big Four got established with Spurs, Villa, City and us the second tier behind the so-called Big Four. City got their billions and are now firmly entrenched at the top, whilst the London wealth and the coming new stadiums for West Ham and Spurs will boost their ability to challenge, meaning it's gonna be ever more difficult for Everton to get CL football, and more importantly, to win the league.

But growing up the FA Cup was a pretty cool thing to win, and we've never won the League Cup - and we know we could. 3rd round knock-outs in both last year

So why don't we focus on winning these, no rested players for either cups, go all out for cup success. It'd be great - days out at Wembley, Cup success, and a bit of repated silverware might boost our name / brand (might even go some way to help Bill with his 24/7 search for new owners!)

I'd sooner finish 8th and win the FA Cup, than come 5th and suffer 3rd round defeats...and with Spurs and West Ham getting their acts together in the coming years it's gonna be hard to come 5th, let alone 1st
Money. It's financially more worthwhile to finish higher up the table.

Money. It's financially more worthwhile to finish higher up the table.

Why? Money just goes into the banks of already millionaire players and wealthy/greedy agents. Having more of it means spending more to attract 'better' players, and then paying them higher salaries. It's a giant snowball whereby the players and agents get richer but the team doesn't win anything, or get any silverware.

in the late 90s and early 2000s it was United and Arsenal at the top, with Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle and briefly Leeds a tier behind - then in the 2000s the Sky Big Four got established with Spurs, Villa, City and us the second tier behind the so-called Big Four. City got their billions and are now firmly entrenched at the top, whilst the London wealth and the coming new stadiums for West Ham and Spurs will boost their ability to challenge, meaning it's gonna be ever more difficult for Everton to get CL football, and more importantly, to win the league.

But growing up the FA Cup was a pretty cool thing to win, and we've never won the League Cup - and we know we could. 3rd round knock-outs in both last year

So why don't we focus on winning these, no rested players for either cups, go all out for cup success. It'd be great - days out at Wembley, Cup success, and a bit of repated silverware might boost our name / brand (might even go some way to help Bill with his 24/7 search for new owners!)

I'd sooner finish 8th and win the FA Cup, than come 5th and suffer 3rd round defeats...and with Spurs and West Ham getting their acts together in the coming years it's gonna be hard to come 5th, let alone 1st
I think the Europa showed us it's not an either or scenario.

The top teams normally win the cups too.

If we don't have the squad size necessary to compete in the EL alongside the prem, then do we really have the squad to compete for BOTH domestic cups alongside the prem?

I would be happy to see us prioritise ONE of them, and blood some youngsters in the other. Hopefully we would not see our prem form suffer as a result.

Cups all the way.

can't believe some fans would prefer getting 4th in the league, and having to get through at least 1 tough qualifying round only to get Real Madrid and Bayern in the group stage and get battered because the squad isn't strong enough, to the glory of being FA Cup winners for a whole season.

There are fans who actually think we have a chance of 4th lol to break that top 4 now you need a suarez type player alongside luck with injuries, one of the established top 4 to have a complete nightmare season (utd under moyes) and having no Europe helps. In short it ain't gonna happen.

Even if you do get it once look at Spurs and the RS, they are challenging year on year based on their commercial might (lol elstone) they even can not get CL anymore than once every 5+ years

The league cup really isn't that many games, no reason why we shouldn't play the full team every week regardless of the competition.
Look at Chelsea - virtually the same team every week in the league, and strong teams in all the cup competitions too.
The reason for weakned teams in the Carling Cup is just to give some squad players a bit of football, it's nothing to do with tired legs and playing the full team wouldn't have the slightest detrimental affect on our league form.

As far as im concered im 21 years old i was just a baby when we won the cup so i dont remember it , school days were bad liverpool lifted every cup bar the prem , just once id like to see everton crowned winners of something! Those lucky to witness the 80's could honestly stand there and say "we are the best" listening to my dad tell stories of them days was how i learnt to love everton with passion but unfortunately i dont have any stories to tell my kids....

Status
Not open for further replies.