Focus on the cups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifelong-Toffee

Player Valuation: £500k
in the late 90s and early 2000s it was United and Arsenal at the top, with Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle and briefly Leeds a tier behind - then in the 2000s the Sky Big Four got established with Spurs, Villa, City and us the second tier behind the so-called Big Four. City got their billions and are now firmly entrenched at the top, whilst the London wealth and the coming new stadiums for West Ham and Spurs will boost their ability to challenge, meaning it's gonna be ever more difficult for Everton to get CL football, and more importantly, to win the league.

But growing up the FA Cup was a pretty cool thing to win, and we've never won the League Cup - and we know we could. 3rd round knock-outs in both last year

So why don't we focus on winning these, no rested players for either cups, go all out for cup success. It'd be great - days out at Wembley, Cup success, and a bit of repated silverware might boost our name / brand (might even go some way to help Bill with his 24/7 search for new owners!)

I'd sooner finish 8th and win the FA Cup, than come 5th and suffer 3rd round defeats...and with Spurs and West Ham getting their acts together in the coming years it's gonna be hard to come 5th, let alone 1st

I'd sooner finish 8th and win the FA Cup, than come 5th and suffer 3rd round defeats

Spot on, words of an Evertonian.

Ask Arsenal fans what is the best season and most memorable they have had for 10 years, and every one will say winning the cup in 2014, it was better than coming 4th all them times and going out first round after the group stages of the Champions League.

If you don't have something to show on an open top bus parade at the end of the season, that season was nothing but failure.

We could rest the entire team before a cup game and still lose to Stevenage at home.

We just ain't got a cup side mentality.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_mugs.png

in the late 90s and early 2000s it was United and Arsenal at the top, with Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle and briefly Leeds a tier behind - then in the 2000s the Sky Big Four got established with Spurs, Villa, City and us the second tier behind the so-called Big Four. City got their billions and are now firmly entrenched at the top, whilst the London wealth and the coming new stadiums for West Ham and Spurs will boost their ability to challenge, meaning it's gonna be ever more difficult for Everton to get CL football, and more importantly, to win the league.

But growing up the FA Cup was a pretty cool thing to win, and we've never won the League Cup - and we know we could. 3rd round knock-outs in both last year

So why don't we focus on winning these, no rested players for either cups, go all out for cup success. It'd be great - days out at Wembley, Cup success, and a bit of repated silverware might boost our name / brand (might even go some way to help Bill with his 24/7 search for new owners!)

I'd sooner finish 8th and win the FA Cup, than come 5th and suffer 3rd round defeats...and with Spurs and West Ham getting their acts together in the coming years it's gonna be hard to come 5th, let alone 1st

I've always said that I want us to approach every competition with the intention of winning it.

Being realistic, we are not going to win the Premier League, but there's no reason why we can't go all out for both domestic cups. Unfortunately we've all been brainwashed into thinking that European qualification is some sort of 'trophy' in itself. Mind you, the last club that Martinez won a trophy with, just a few of Seasons ago, are going to start next Season in League One :D

The fact is, with that squad this year we should have been able to compete on all fronts.

I completely agree though, no resting of players in the cup competitions.

Been saying this all season, Europe is the holy grail, however we were miles from that final last night, and domestic form suffered. Go balls out for a cup, both cups and Europe is guaranteed plus profile is raised.

Difference in league placings this season to last in terms of prize money did not equate to what little money we made from the Europa league. I'm not anti European comps just needs to be at the right time and with a squad that can cope.

I agree completely with the OP but unfortunately, due to modern day exaggeration in the media, players can't play too often in case they suffer burn out, and they can't play Thursday and Sunday. The result is that clubs like Everton will never realistically try and win every competition they are involved in.

It wouldn't be so bad if Martinez actually approached the competitions with more sense but he is naive. He thinks we can go to Swansea away and ease through the competition playing a weakened team. Or maybe he didn't care if we got beat with having other distractions. Look at the team he selected here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29216771

Howard, Oviedo, Distin, Hibbert, Alcaraz, Garbutt, Besic, Atsu, McGeady, Gibson, Eto'o.

At the time, only Howard was first choice because Distin would have been left out for Stones.

You can't treat other premier league sides with such disrespect and put out a team like that and expect to progress. It's also become clear to me since Moyes has been here that our results away from home are dire. So it was going to be an even bigger test.

If we come up against the likes of Swansea away from home, the team needs to be almost first choice. 8 or 9 first team regulars starting, and then rest more if we get through and play someone like Charlton at home.

He should be choosing a team like this against better sides:

Joel, Coleman, Stones, Browning, Baines, McGeady, McCarthy, Gibson, Oviedo, Barkley, Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.