Homepage Update: [FAN OPINION] What we learnt from City away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we learned that a team whose wage bill is probably five times our own, spent over £200m this summer and it barely raised an eyebrow, can out play us but not beat us on their own patch. Our organisation kept them in check for much of the game and DCL and Rooney kept them on their toes until Rooney understandably started to tire.

We are a team undergoing a lot of change and in need of a few more options up front and a bit of balance on the left, but we are in better shape than many of you are giving us credit for. A couple more in and a few back from injury (Seamus) and I think all but the very top teams will struggle against us.
Agree entirely, particularly the second paragraph.

Nice to see DCL being played in his natural position, until now the poor bugger has played everywhere but CF. We also learned that Wayne Rooney still has a massive part to play for us and is an obvious beacon for the younger players. We have improved massively in defence since the unmitigated disaster of the latter Martinez years, remember those two goal leads we used to give up? Its a pity Onyekuru went out on loan to Anderlecht, he is the sort of player we are searching for right now. Bolasie and Seamus to come back will give us the width we need although not for a little while yet.

The future is bright.

I'd say the big is thing is to make sure that we do learn.

What frustrated me about Monday was it was remarkably similar to our game at Old Trafford last season. In that game I thought we looked fairly comfortable but we invited more and more pressure, and took off the pace which was giving them a headache on the counter before eventually succumbing to the inevitable goal. This time round we again ended up camped in our own half and again failed to offer a counter attacking threat to keep them occupied, and again conceded a late equaliser. It was disappointing to see that we didn't appear to have learnt the lessons of the United game.

A point was a decent result though, and hopefully we won't fall into the same trap next time we have such an opportunity.

Watching Bournemouth v City right now...

City just equalised but very much against the run of play. In terms of 'things to learn from City away' we could do a lot worse than watch this match. Bournemouth are playing free attacking football without fear. I know they're at home, but all the same...

EDIT: Kiss of death - City have now turned on the afterburners!

Watching Bournemouth v City right now...

City just equalised but very much against the run of play. In terms of 'things to learn from City away' we could do a lot worse than watch this match. Bournemouth are playing free attacking football without fear. I know they're at home, but all the same...

EDIT: Kiss of death - City have now turned on the afterburners!
And playing that way will likely be relegated

Lookman on loan would be inexcusable. Pay £8M for a lower league player then send him back down there. Perverse if it happens and a waste of money.

On the game: Knife to a gun fight...then they lost their gun....and we replied by throwing our knife away.

?? Really, It is standard practice for big clubs. He has not looked up to it the last three games, needs more experience it is clear to see. He is only suited to a sub role for us at the moment, we have/need better players on the bench by the time the window closes.

?? Really, It is standard practice for big clubs. He has not looked up to it the last three games, needs more experience it is clear to see. He is only suited to a sub role for us at the moment, we have/need better players on the bench by the time the window closes.
You think we can spend £8M on players as speculation. We are not at that table.

Erm... we just spent 7mil on Onyekeru, we clearly ARE at that table, much as you hate it being so.
No, we might have an insane policy of wasting precious and finite resources gained through selling assets on a speculative punt right now, but unlike the big financially resourced clubs we are not set up to take too many of those failures.

No, we might have an insane policy of wasting precious and finite resources gained through selling assets on a speculative punt right now, but unlike the big financially resourced clubs we are not set up to take too many of those failures.

lol all of them were deadwoods except Lukaku. You wanna keep them?

lol all of them were deadwoods except Lukaku. You wanna keep them?
he's saying correctly, that the vast majority of our spending was funded through selling an asset the value of which we are unlikely to see at Everton again for a generation. The deadwood raised not much more than 20m in total and have funded no spending spree at all.

he's saying correctly, that the vast majority of our spending was funded through selling an asset the value of which we are unlikely to see at Everton again for a generation. The deadwood raised not much more than 20m in total and have funded no spending spree at all.

Think most people will accept Moshiri is not going to spend like the bosses of Chelsea and City but yet he brings a lot of good things (Koeman, stadium, interest free loan whatever you want to call it, accounting/management sense and a new marketing strategy) to this club. Getting to spend on players sales and another £30m-£50m on top of that per season, I believe it is reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.