Confirmed Signing Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly I dont think he's been any of those things.

The quality of the CMF they've had while he's been here makes it difficult to fall below solid standard. In our midfield he'll need to do a lot more and take a lot more responsibility on.

It's a pity. We have a nice blend in there atm with Gueye and Gomes (maybe we need a creative option as well, like, but that isn't Delph).

I question how far it is a nice blend though mate. Even during our best run, there were some abject performances from them 2 (Fulham away anyone) and some of the games came with Schneiderlin partnering Gueye. When I've seen Delph he is a better passer of the ball than Gana and runs with it better. He's not as good at winning the ball back (but who is) but is solid at that too. Left foot/right foot combo with Gomes could work better.

I question how far it is a nice blend though mate. Even during our best run, there were some abject performances from them 2 (Fulham away anyone) and some of the games came with Schneiderlin partnering Gueye. When I've seen Delph he is a better passer of the ball than Gana and runs with it better. He's not as good at winning the ball back (but who is) but is solid at that too. Left foot/right foot combo with Gomes could work better.

I disagree, to me Gana is better

That doesn't mean Delph isn't any good, but I'd pick Gana over him quite happily

Every player has off games or rough patches. In general Gana has been a really good signing for us and to me Delph does not replace what he brings to the table and I'd consider it a step back if we sold Gana and replaced him with Delph

That's why I said we needed also a more creative player to rotate with for certain games.

Gueye was an unknown quantity. We know what Delph is.

giphy.gif

I disagree, to me Gana is better

That doesn't mean Delph isn't any good, but I'd pick Gana over him quite happily

Every player has off games or rough patches. In general Gana has been a really good signing for us and to me Delph does not replace what he brings to the table and I'd consider it a step back if we sold Gana and replaced him with Delph

Gana is better at what he does, and is the best in the country at that (breaking play up). Delph is better at carrying the ball and passing it. They are slightly different players but I don't see either as enormously better than the other. It's close. The way Gana ended the season there's a case for him being better. The previous 18 months probably less so.

That's why I said we needed also a more creative player to rotate with for certain games.

Yes thats a fairer viewpoint, namely that he isn't the right type of player. I do wonder what price for his versatility though, and also his leadership which has been lacking for some time. He seems a big character.

Status
Not open for further replies.