F.A. Cup Final Sat 14th May 1966: Golden Anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad went to the final, I was six and my brother and I got taken over to West Kirby by my Mum to her Mum and Dad's in West Kirby for the day! Watched the game on a small black and white tv in their front room, while they were all in the back garden - great memory!

My dad was there, also went to the world cup final a few months later. Used to tell me more stories about our comeback though when I was a kid.

My older brother was there aged 17 he got a ticket from my das Everton brother who lived in London , but it was in the Wednesday end - he said it went from their joy of 2-0 up to tears when we went 3-2 up - he had to take a quiet view on it as he was solo and in those days 17 years old was a big deal to venture to a game like that in the opposition end!

Ticket allocation was really poor ... I think it was about 17500 for the clubs and the rest to county F A's, gusts and what have you.

We got ours from the F A thanks to Terry Graham (long dead, R I P).

Can remember there being some talk in the press about the supporters repeating what the Reds had done the year before and singing God Save Our Gracious Team (Oh the horror.)

Spent most of the match in shock - and horror when Youngy's penalty appeal was turned down. The rest, tbh, is a blur. Insanity when Temple got the third.

I feel my role in this victory has never been recognised. 2-0 down and we were out of it , so I got the picture of the team that was in the paper that day , held it up to face the black and white tv I was watching it on , and sat like that for the rest of the match. The turnaround started within minutes , and as they say the rest is history.
In those days the FA Cup final was one of the few games you got to see live on the TVs. It always seemed to be a sunny day and I remember I usually went out into the back yard at half time to kick my ball around. Happy days.

13.00 Wembley Way. See Dixie Dean being interviewed. Ask him for autograph and he says walk with him and he will sign when he has finished interviews.
True to his word he has photo taken with me for London evening paper when we reach Wembley. What a gent.
Now time to swap my Dads ticket which is in wrong end.

13.10 swapped ticket for same end as mine.
Left Mum waiting outside on Wembley Way.
Made way to front of pen to stand on milking stool

Status
Not open for further replies.