F.A. Cup Final Sat 14th May 1966: Golden Anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I was 9, went down with mum and dad, they went the game and left me with relatives in Croydon. Can never understand why they did that but still great memories.
One of my strongest childhood memories aged 7 was watching my dad walk down the street and road the corner to get the bus to town for the train. I fully expected him to come back with the surprise news he had a ticket for me and I could go!!!!
Had got a telly(3rd family in the street according to my mum!) for the occasion. In tears at 0-2, delirium at 2-2 and nirvana at 3-2!!! The FA cup meant so much in those days too.

16.06(only 10 mins for ht in those days) 0-2 . More tears
I can't recall even my Dad have anything optimistic to say this time

16.24 Temple's through..
Go on Derek...
It seemed like an eternity before....
He's scored..
Absolute bloody bedlam. Unbelievable

We've won the cup. Tears of unbridled joy
First time trophy for me and luckily I can remember more bits of that day than I can days from only a year ago...!
My Dad was lucky enough to return to Wembley two months later for the World Cup final. He didn't return for a few days...drink driving was not an issue in those days!

Leaving Wembley singing to the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain.." - " He's the greatest little darkie in the land,
He's the greatest little darkie in the land
He's the greatest little darkie
Greatest little darkie
Greatest little darkie in the land
And his name is Michael Trebilcock
And his name is Michael Trebilcock
And his name is Michael
Michael Michael Michael
Michael Trebilcock

Amazingly I can remember vividly singing it as we went down the steps
Never would have been able to sing that nowadays

Met my Mum sitting on a wall on Wembley Way. She had been there waiting all afternoon. What a trouper

What a match
What a day
What marvellous memories

My old fella told me after we made it 3-2 the last few minutes lasted forever as Wednesday bombarded Westy with crosses as they knew he was carrying an injury:)

It all happened 3 years before I was born but I was brought up on stories of that day. Me dad and uncle went but I felt like I was there.
I obviously don't remember the 70 championship side but it just wasn't talked about as much as 66, might have been because it took so long to win the cup again, and the way we won it.
I've watched it many times since and still can't believe the comeback.

We should make them goal celebrations compulsory. One arm raised and a skippy jump, looks even better in black and white as well.

"And over to the left... Pandemonium" - boss comment from the late, great Kenneth Wolstenholme.

No need in those days for garbage co-commentators like Owen, Lawro or the lamentable Savage.

Status
Not open for further replies.