F.A. Cup Final Sat 14th May 1966: Golden Anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was on a dirty Saturday
In the dirty month of May
That they all went to Wem-ber-ley
To see the Red Shight play
There was Callaghan and St John
And they played in dirty Red
And half an hour before the end
The Queen went home to bed

In was on a lovely Saturday
In the lovely month of May
That we all went to Wem-ber-ley
To see the Toffees play
There was Alex Young and Gabriel
And we played in Royal Blue
And we gave the Owls a two goal start
But we still won 3-2

CiU5Q6YWwAA5Jb6.jpg

He,s lost his jacket...immortal words re Eddie Kavanagh..
What a day what a weekend
I only met Eddie once, he was an Everton steward on the train specials, going to Derby that day in about 1980, I'd guess he'd be about
5 to 7 years old than us. We were late getting on the train and could only find one coach with 4 seats for us to sit together. Sure enough, going by the giggles from some of the other passengers, we might have made a mistake here. It was in fact the stewards compartment. Eddie stuck his head in (Which he could) and said "These seats are ours lads" one of us said there's no names on 'em. So after a bit of H. Kissinger talk by both sides, it was agreed to all squeeze up. For the next hour or so Eddie told us some great stories about our lovely club. I remember one clearly.
At the time of the '66 final Eamonn Andrews had a late Sunday Night show live with famous current guests (A chat show now). Eddie was
approached by the BBC to come on the show and offered £100 plus expenses, Eddie wanted £250 Plus. It fell through though, and for the life of me, I can't think who lost out most. Eddie had a sister Nellie whom I had done electrical work for, she was true lady and a Mad Blue, sadly
she died recently, Nellie had 2 daughters that I know of, who I believe still go to all our away games.

Leaving Wembley singing to the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain.." - " He's the greatest little darkie in the land,
He's the greatest little darkie in the land
He's the greatest little darkie
Greatest little darkie
Greatest little darkie in the land
And his name is Michael Trebilcock
And his name is Michael Trebilcock
And his name is Michael
Michael Michael Michael
Michael Trebilcock

Amazingly I can remember vividly singing it as we went down the steps
Never would have been able to sing that nowadays

Met my Mum sitting on a wall on Wembley Way. She had been there waiting all afternoon. What a trouper

What a match
What a day
What marvellous memories

Thanks mate for your 'real time' memories - brilliant!

In those days the FA Cup final was one of the few games you got to see live on the TVs. It always seemed to be a sunny day and I remember I usually went out into the back yard at half time to kick my ball around. Happy days.

I'd forgotten this, just brought back memories that did. The whole Final day was a fantastic experience as a kid, the endless build up, David Coleman, the massed bands, Abide with me, half time kick about in the yard, a swig of my Dad's beer if my Mum was out and then a replay of the final on the street with all the other kids.

As you said, happy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.